Not in vogue but good nonetheless

Captain Bash

Silver Member
The thread on Paiste cymbal rigs reminded me, the best time to buy used drum gear is when it’s totally out of style. For example I bought my entire Paiste Twenty set up for a fraction of the cost because dark, thin, trashy cymbals were hip and being heavily advertised and touted by all. Paiste Twenty are pretty heavy and very bright (to my ear). What gear have you bought that sees beyond the current trouser width, collar size, double vs single breasted jacket.

At one point, I was kicking around about getting an older, out-of-style Ludwig Super Classics (deeper toms with long classic lugs) from maybe the late 80's/early 90's. I play a lot of classic country from that time period. I thought they would be cool. I went ahead and got a more recent set of Classic Maples in sizes that work better for me.

I went four-piece way before it came back in style. When I got my four-piece Corder set, in the mid 80s, almost everyone had huge drum sets. Peace and goodwill.

What gear have you bought that sees beyond the current trouser width, collar size, double vs single breasted jacket.
Ah ....... these. They are definitely not "in vogue" anymore. The "original" purchase was 24x14, 10x10, 12x12, 16x16. Then I added a 13x13 and an 18x16.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 15 a.jpg
    15 a.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 15 b.jpg
    15 b.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 9
Picked one of these bad boys up a few years back in mint condition for $30.

447957000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Anything with power toms :)
Well ...... I never had a kit with 'em ...... so when I spied these ...... I said "what the hell. Why not". KInda killed two birds with one stone. I'd never had a full Slingerland kit, and I figured I'd try out power toms while I was at it. And the price was right. Kit just sounds massive ('cause it is!!!).

The thread on Paiste cymbal rigs reminded me, the best time to buy used drum gear is when it’s totally out of style. For example I bought my entire Paiste Twenty set up for a fraction of the cost because dark, thin, trashy cymbals were hip and being heavily advertised and touted by all. Paiste Twenty are pretty heavy and very bright (to my ear). What gear have you bought that sees beyond the current trouser width, collar size, double vs single breasted jacket.

this has been my mindset for years b/c of sports card collecting..."buy low, sell high"..."buy the sleeper/trust the sleeper"...trust your instinct

Piccolo snares. Certainly not in vogue like in the 80s but I'm hearing them in more types of music than I did in the 80s.

At one point, I was kicking around about getting an older, out-of-style Ludwig Super Classics (deeper toms with long classic lugs) from maybe the late 80's/early 90's. I play a lot of classic country from that time period. I thought they would be cool. I went ahead and got a more recent set of Classic Maples in sizes that work better for me.
Those were phenomenal drums. The one set I want back. 9pc piano black lacquer. I have owned and sold over 25 top end kits and that’s the one I should have stuck with

Piccolo snares. Certainly not in vogue like in the 80s but I'm hearing them in more types of music than I did in the 80s.

I had not thought of owning a piccolo snare drum in decades until I started listening to clips to Pearl free floating piccolos. Wow! Big, fat, and warm. Those things defy physics!

Last edited:
Steel snare drums. For a time, everyone blew them off as cheap, beginner level instruments. I picked up a steel Sensitone for cheap. Loved it so much I ditched all my wood snares and went totally metal.

Now I have a couple brass and an aluminum one too. They all take turns being my favorite! 😎

Steel snare drums. For a time, everyone blew them off as cheap, beginner level instruments. I picked up a steel Sensitone for cheap. Loved it so much I ditched all my wood snares and went totally metal.

Now I have a couple brass and an aluminum one too. They all take turns being my favorite! 😎
I went through a 'wood only stage' a few years ago. Recently I have acquired a BB, a Supra & a Premier 1036 Steel. Thos 3 materials just do everything I want brilliantly :)

I'm very much a wood snare person, I have come to believe, but I'm still hoping to find a metal snare I like as much.

I like power toms. :)

Back