Not a drummer just the mother of one with an Ayotte Kit in her closet.

mid

I am debating. I am storing in hard cases, in a closet a full Ayotte drum kit with a Stars and Stripe snare, cymbals and hardware. I am looking at either shipping it to the Catskills in NY from Alameda, CA or selling it. I have been told by several musicians that when you own something that is really nice you should keep it because later in life you will regret the sale. If I decided to ship where would I get the boxes. I have read that Fedex is the best shipper.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Dont do either. Selling it would be a travesty. Shipping it would cost a fortune and potentially damage it. Why does it need to go to NY from CA?

Rotarded

Ayotte finishes are quite delicate. Packaging it properly (and safely) and shipping it would still be risky, and expensive.

I'd LOVE to see a picture or 2 of the kit/snare!

Ransan

Pics please! I have been looking at Ayottes forever, as there’s the sunrise burst finish that I’ve loved since Jeremy Taggert from OLP Superman’s Dead.

All I can say is do research and if in good condition and depending on make and sizes.
If it was from Ray era, I hope you didn’t settle for less than $2,500 and that’s shells alone.

(This is what I’m referring to when my daughter has my drums after I’m gone.)

edit - I’m guessing it’s already sold, you can go to Walmart at night when they are unpacking and get boxes all night.

mid

these are not sold
Pics please! I have been looking at Ayottes forever, as there’s the sunrise burst finish that I’ve loved since Jeremy Taggert from OLP Superman’s Dead.

All I can say is do research and if in good condition and depending on make and sizes.
If it was from Ray era, I hope you didn’t settle for less than $2,500 and that’s shells alone.

(This is what I’m referring to when my daughter has my drums after I’m gone.)

edit - I’m guessing it’s already sold, you can go to Walmart at night when they are unpacking and get boxes all night.
and not for sale yet

cbphoto

Gold Member
That’s a very nice kit. Worth good money. Apparently there’s a drummer in your family that doesn’t appreciate what he has.

Sell it. Move on.

Fritz Frigursson

Can't you keep it in the closet? Or do you want more space? Because you are 100% going to regret selling it.

Old PIT Guy

This reminds me of an ebay purchase I made of some stands. It was a young woman and the price seemed too good to be true on 2 cymbal boom stands, a snare stand, a hi-hat stand and a BD pedal. I guess the price and the description made potential buyers shy away -- $50 and fairly low shipping, maybe $30 I can't remember the exact amount. I messaged her and she said she didn't care about price because it was her boyfriend's stuff and she wanted it out of her house. I bid and won. She wrote and said there were a few other things she'd throw in the box. It was another pedal and assorted multi-clamp stuff, Gibraltar mainly. The big and very heavy box arrives coming apart with chrome bits sticking out of it here and there. I wrote to say thanks and wondered why she didn't just throw it all away and she said 'what would be the fun in that'. Woman scorned.

moxman

Silver Member
If there's a brick's n mortar drum shop near you.. see if they can do a deal for you to ship it. They are pros in shipping stuff and can handle the transaction securely. Don't rely on an e-transfer - not safe unless you know the person on the other end.

mid

If there's a brick's n mortar drum shop near you.. see if they can do a deal for you to ship it. They are pros in shipping stuff and can handle the transaction securely. Don't rely on an e-transfer - not safe unless you know the person on the other end.
Thank you, I know the person on the other end, my son. Is that what you meant. What is a e-transfer?

moxman

Silver Member
Ah you're just shipping - I thought you were also selling the kit..
e-transfer = electronic bank transfer

timmdrum

Silver Member
Ah, in light of new info, I'd like to add to those saying to be super careful with shipping. Since these are sentimental to your son, this situation is much more sensitive than if you were selling, which would only require shipping insurance to cover accidental damage for potential loss of value to you or the buyer. I'd have a professional ship this kit like it's a museum piece. Have your son chip in on the shipping if need be. See if you can get a local drum shop, or even better, a manufacturer or refurbisher (is that a word? lol), or some place that specializes in large and/or fragile item shipping, to assist. I've heard (elsewhere here on Drummerworld) that FedEx is the worst of the major shipping companies; I have no personal experience with them. *Edit*- I just recalled you saying they're currently stored in hard cases; that helps tremendously. Peek inside and see if they're foam padded inside or just bare interiors; if the latter, wrap each drum in soft towels (bass drum may require a blanket).

I presume you have no interest in this forum beyond assistance in this goal (understandably), but we're a curious bunch who would love to hear the resolution to this, if/when it happens! Please update us. I hope they arrive safe & sound and your son cherishes his drum kit memorial to his dad for many years. (I don't know if he's available due to work, etc, but if it were me, I'd buy a one-way plane ticket to the bay area, rent a van, and drive them home.)