Noodlers

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I had a private party I did last weekend.

With this band, both the bass player AND the guitar player were noodling for like 30 minutes before we went on, amps on. 30 minutes of diarrhea Both of them. Sometimes playing the same song snippet, but mostly not. It was really hard to listen to. They ALWAYS do that.

My breaking point was when the organizer of the party went on mic and was talking. Meanwhile the bass player is noodling away. I shot him daggers and told him to STFU. Oh he didn't like that. I stated how COMPLETELY unprofessional that was and I don't care what he said, you DON'T noodle when someone is giving PSA's, period.

It just grinds my gears when people are SO self centered that they have to make people endure their crap noodling.

Does this bother anyone else or am I being too sensitive?

With this band, both the bass player AND the guitar player were noodling for like 30 minutes before we went on, amps on. 30 minutes of diarrhea Both of them. Sometimes playing the same song snippet, but mostly not. It was really hard to listen to. They ALWAYS do that.

My breaking point was when the organizer of the party went on mic and was talking. Meanwhile the bass player is noodling away. I shot him daggers and told him to STFU. Oh he didn't like that. I stated how COMPLETELY unprofessional that was and I don't care what he said, you DON'T noodle when someone is giving PSA's, period.

It just grinds my gears when people are SO self centered that they have to make people endure their crap noodling.

Completely agree! :) (y)

agreed. my keyboard player is guilty of noodling around. like at our gig last sunday we finished the night, and he started playing around with his keyboards, according to him he was "finding the rought sounds for some songs". but it basically irked me, but he's one of these you cant say anything to as "he's been playing for 40+ years and knows better than you" as i was once told.

Yes, it's unprofessional and should be off limits, especially when an event organizer is engaged in a public address. It's not unlike someone's decision to fool around with a cell phone while participating in an in-person discussion. Distasteful is the only way to describe it.

Fortunately, I don't have a history of working with musicians who exhibit boorish stage tendencies. Most have been relatively well-behaved, though a few outliers have certainly existed. They can't be avoided entirely.

Maybe they are warming up?
Most bands I play in members are playing a good half an hour before the show.
They need to buy a Pod and plug in headphones. It's unprofessional to play stage gear before a show while other people are trying to talk or eat. It IS professional to noodle for half an hour before the show, but away from the crowd using a small practice amp or headphones.

I can’t believe your host/client didn’t fire y’all. That behavior is immature and derogatory to the event.

I also get mad and short tempered when band mates noodle during rehearsal while others are discussing and/or working out a section. A hard, loud rimshot followed by “QUIET!” gets them to stop.

Un-professional, dis-respectful and the wrong way to greet, or impress, an audience. One reason I like working in bands with a leader, follow their bottom line or down the road.

Last edited:
What was the general vibe of the party?..people getting crazy?..there are times when it's not that bothersome to noodle as it creates an anticipatory vibe like ya..were gonna rock your socks off but I'm getting the feeling that in this particular instance the two noodlemeisters needed to exhibit some sensitivity to the moment. Sometimes noodling can create (less) excitement over walking on stage and BAM! the party is started!.

It is an extension of ones personality

Not only is it unprofessional and inconsiderate but it is completely childish and probably the best way to get fired from any credible gig.

I guarantee these are the same tools that sit at Guitar Center for hours playing classic rock riffs extremely loud and horribly

It is best to stay as far away from these type of people if you wish to get hired for any type of gig in the future

By the way ... drummers are also guilty of this ... it's embarrassing

agreed. my keyboard player is guilty of noodling around. like at our gig last sunday we finished the night, and he started playing around with his keyboards, according to him he was "finding the rought sounds for some songs". but it basically irked me, but he's one of these you cant say anything to as "he's been playing for 40+ years and knows better than you" as i was once told.
Finding the right sounds for some songs?
Do your homework at home, Peckerhead!

I think it impacts the audience's experience for the worse. If I'm having to listen to a half-hour's worth of noodling, I'm already concluding that the band's not that good. I'll then be noticing more of the aspects of the performance that fit with that narrative.

It also limits the audience's access to that build-up of excitement and anticipation that happens when waiting for a band to take the stage.

Maybe they are warming up?
Most bands I play in members are playing a good half an hour before the show.
They need to buy a Pod and plug in headphones. It's unprofessional to play stage gear before a show while other people are trying to talk or eat. It IS professional to noodle for half an hour before the show, but away from the crowd using a small practice amp or headphones.
Warming up is great. Warming up through the amp isn't. Headphones, agreed. Just don't subject me or the audience to the meandering.
Un-professional, dis-respectful and the wrong way to greet, or impress, an audience. One reason I like working in bands with a leader, follow there bottom line or down the road.
The band has a leader. He was absent schmoozing and getting dressed at the time. As soon as he came up, he told them to stop. He doesn't like it either. But it didn't last long
What was the general vibe of the party?..people getting crazy?..there are times when it's not that bothersome to noodle as it creates an anticipatory vibe like ya..were gonna rock your socks off but I'm getting the feeling that in this particular instance the two noodlemeisters needed to exhibit some sensitivity to the moment. Sometimes noodling can create (less) excitement over walking on stage and BAM! the party is started!.
It was a 50th birthday party that was just getting started in a community center of an over 55 community. The alcohol had not yet taken effect. So pretty tame for the noodling. IOW, everyone heard it. Right before we went on was when the PSA's were being announced, and we were all up there waiting for them to conclude. I don't know why they hired a straight up Chicago blues band. They would have done better with a 60's cover band, as it was 60's themed. This band only has a few semi-recognizable songs from the civilian POV
It is an extension of ones personality

Not only is it unprofessional and inconsiderate but it is completely childish and probably the best way to get fired from any credible gig.

I guarantee these are the same tools that sit at Guitar Center for hours playing classic rock riffs extremely loud and horribly

It is best to stay as far away from these type of people if you wish to get hired for any type of gig in the future

By the way ... drummers are also guilty of this ... it's embarrassing

Bang on. Extension of one's personality. Thank you. This is definitely the case here. The bass player is in his mid 70's. he should know this by now. I have a thing where I don't let anyone hear the drums until downbeat. I tune almost silently (using the harmonics) and from the audience perspective, it's not noticeable. It's really important to me to stay silent until we go on. That's why it bugs me so much when someone else ruins it. I get needing to hear the amp in the room. But a minute or 2 should do it. Then they must stop lol. Like Chris said, HEADPHONES!

Since I'm venting I also don't appreciate it when the guitar player (usually) gives away the song by noodling on it before we all start.

ARRGGH!

I'll bet they wouldn't noodle if it was a party full of musicians. They'd be on their best behavior, trying to appear as professional as possible. There's really no excuse for behaving otherwise anyway.

I remember that time I saw Mark Knopfler at the Forum here in L.A., and some of the band was onstage noodling around. NOT!

Okay, extreme example.

I remember that time I my friend's band at Joe's in Burbank, and some of the band was onstage noodling around. ALSO NOT!

I don't think I've ever seen players from a group onstage before starting, and noodling. It would stick out like a sore drum.

There's no excuse for not being a pro in any gigging situation. If you need to warm-up, do it off stage with phones or in-ears. When a drummer needs to warm-up, do they sit behind the kit and noodle? Of course not! They're off to the side - or somewhere else out of sight - and probably using a rubber (read: silent) practice pad.

Eww!.. 50th? that changes things . Ok then..the dagger look was fully warranted IMO. My initial response would have been less forgiving. Plus a half hour! of being less than sensitive to that vibe?. Hmm. Those two freakin clowns!.

I'll bet they wouldn't noodle if it was a party full of musicians. They'd be on their best behavior, trying to appear as professional as possible. There's really no excuse for behaving otherwise anyway.

I remember that time I saw Mark Knopfler at the Forum here in L.A., and some of the band was onstage noodling around. NOT!

Okay, extreme example.

I remember that time I my friend's band at Joe's in Burbank, and some of the band was onstage noodling around. ALSO NOT!

I don't think I've ever seen players from a group onstage before starting, and noodling. It would stick out like a sore drum.

There's no excuse for not being a pro in any gigging situation. If you need to warm-up, do it off stage with phones or in-ears. When a drummer needs to warm-up, do they sit behind the kit and noodle? Of course not! They're off to the side - or somewhere else out of sight - and probably using a rubber (read: silent) practice pad.
Why couldn't I have said it like that.

Eww!.. 50th? that changes things . Ok then..the dagger look was fully warranted IMO. My initial response would have been less forgiving. Plus a half hour! of being less than sensitive to that vibe?. Hmm. Those two freakin clowns!.
I endured it for a half hour because it's not my band and I don't give orders, just like they don't give me orders.

But when he was rude to the speaker (IMO) that immediately tripped my trap. Knives flew from my eyes and quiet profanities shot from my mouth.

I'd also like to add that I don't really appreciate players that only play well if the crowd is into it. No real concept of what entertaining actually entails.

No you’re not being sensitive. I fire guys like that.

Back