Noodlers

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I agree with you Larry.
And what's worse is when the drummer is noodling.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
My breaking point was when the organizer of the party went on mic and was talking. Meanwhile the bass player is noodling away. I shot him daggers and told him to STFU. Oh he didn't like that. I stated how COMPLETELY unprofessional that was and I don't care what he said, you DON'T noodle when someone is giving PSA's, period.
That would've been the last gig with the band for me after that.
If you have a member who doesn't know (or care) about being a respectful musician to those who are PAYING you, then I'm out.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
That would've been the last gig with the band for me after that.
If you have a member who doesn't know (or care) about being a respectful musician to those who are PAYING you, then I'm out.
It's not worth quitting the band over. I choose to not be a full time member in any bands for now. I can only gig on Saturday nights. There's other drummers that play in this band when I can't make it. I can't work a full day doing electric work and then do an 8 hour gig anymore. It's just too much for me lately.

Capital D

Like has been said many times already, there is a time and a place for noodling. While the host is addressing the crowd, probably not one of those.

I can't understand why guitar/bass/keyboard players who have to noodle, can't do it with the volume off. Noodle all night if you can't sit still, but don't noodle through your cranked amp. Just like drummers should noodle on your leg or a pad, not on the drums at full volume.

Sometimes at a show, I will play the first part of a tune on my leg to get the tempo down, but I won't play it on the drums and then start the tune.

Al Strange

Perhaps we need a new thread called “Supernoodles” where we covertly film the “noodlers” and list them by name under various categories like “bothersome electric twanger”, “four string fiddler” and “parpy keyboard warrior”? Name and shame the perps of this heinous crime! Insecure men warm up on 10!! 😁

Hewitt2

Perhaps we need a new thread called “Supernoodles” where we covertly film the “noodlers” and list them by name under various categories like “bothersome electric twanger”, “four string fiddler” and “parpy keyboard warrior”? Name and shame the perps of this heinous crime! Insecure men warm up on 10!! 😁

Your reproaches are almost Shakespearian in their rhetorical eloquence.

Hie hence! Be gone, away!
It is the lark that sings so out of tune,
Straining harsh discords and unpleasing sharps.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
It's not worth quitting the band over. I choose to not be a full time member in any bands for now. I can only gig on Saturday nights. There's other drummers that play in this band when I can't make it. I can't work a full day doing electric work and then do an 8 hour gig anymore. It's just too much for me lately.
100%
I'm a full time educator & feel the same way.
I'm also 51 & after many years of putting up with people like that guy doing that crap, I'm done talking.
Either you show the respect the check (and just being a good human) demands, or I walk away.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
It is an extension of ones personality

Not only is it unprofessional and inconsiderate but it is completely childish and probably the best way to get fired from any credible gig.

I guarantee these are the same tools that sit at Guitar Center for hours playing classic rock riffs extremely loud and horribly

It is best to stay as far away from these type of people if you wish to get hired for any type of gig in the future

By the way ... drummers are also guilty of this ... it's embarrassing
Yes. This.

One noodler keyboardist I played with, in particular, would always play the main riff of the next song before we played it, while the guitars were tuning up between songs. That. Drove. Me. Batty.

Bozozoid

I'm waaay to embarassed to noodle on stage. I can't recall a noodle problem. BUT after our gigs were over we had this one trumpet player that would do this weird cool down that sounded like some death march. I wanted to say...what! The F!..but never did. It was eery and stupid sounding.

Bozozoid

Our! Keyboard player does that a fair amount. At least I don't have to do a quick songlist check. He already informed me.

Spreggy

Silver Member
I'm a noodler. Cant help it. I'm figity and cant sit still. If that upsets people, not sorry. I wont tell you to stop talking/tuning/picking your nose/whatever you do that bothers me, because I'm not a self absorbed control freak who gets bent out of shape because someone is doing something that I dont want them to do.

Sorry, rant over. Continue on with the complaining.
If you see me picking my nose, please ask me to stop. A little "ix-nay on the osepick-nay" would be appreciated.

Spreggy

Silver Member
I don't like telling other players what to do, it's not my place,but there are a few things I have little patience for:

1. Noodling, especially between songs. Some people can't resist playing whatever pops into their head between songs. Why is that keyboard player playing the intro to Piano Man before the AC/DC tune starts? Why?!
2. Excessive hand wavers. You know, that guy who thinks he's directing the church choir with his gesticulations? Attention-whoring run amock. The song ends here, waver man? Really?! I had no idea! Good thing you waved!
3. Anyone with anything that has a tam in it. In hands, on hi-hats, I know, just offended a bunch of players, but damn! It's a child's toy, please put it down. Can you really tell me of a time when the sound of a tam actually improved a song? And hey singer, don't you dare play that tambourine or cowbell near your mic, I swear I'll tackle you from behind! I'm coming!!
4. People who rant on forums. They're the worse. :p

Last edited:

SomeBadDrummer

noodle around​

1. To spend time investigating, perusing, or examining something.

Guilty