Noodlers

Erberderber

It's bad enough at rehearsals. The worse thing is that the noodlng is usually of a song which your band doesn't play and is often played better and with more passion than the songs on the band's actual set list.

KEEF

Agreed - hate it, my band mates are guilty and rows have ensued!:mad:

Woolwich

Silver Member
Detest it. Not all guitarists do it but the people who do noodle are guitarists.
The guitarist in my band always does it before a gig and I always have to tell him to stop. No one is going to be impressed by him soloing, plus a guitar screaming out of the blue without the surrounding context of a song being played is not pleasent for the audience.
In a previous band we used to regularly add new songs that were chart or well known hits played in a pop punk "comedy" style. There was nothing more annoying than nurturing an idea with a view to putting a surprise huge smile on our followers faces, only for one of our guitarists (the show off less talented one) to "preview" it in order for him to get the gratification from the audience but the song to land with nowhere near the impact it should have.

I did my first gig in 19 months on Saturday, a Carnival multi band affair on a hired kit. I don't think I hit a single part of it (other than to check my bass drum pedal was secure as the bass drum had a spindly metal hoop) until the soundman asked us to run through one verse and chorus to soundcheck. Meanwhile to my left 🙄

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'll bet they wouldn't noodle if it was a party full of musicians. They'd be on their best behavior, trying to appear as professional as possible. There's really no excuse for behaving otherwise anyway.
Knowing the guy the way that I do, I think he would noodle more in front of musicians. He doesn't behave professionally with a real crowd, he wouldn't do anything different if it was a room full of musicians. Bugs the crap outta me, noodles. To the point where I want to get right up in his grille, but I don't. Not my band. I want to though.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Some people you just can’t let them near their chosen instrument because they will pick the sob up and play for hours for themselves as everyone shoots them daggers and leaves the room. Meet my guitar picking brother. My best friend’s son had a guitar and would hide it when he saw my brother pull up. Just freaking clueless. Another friend is guitarist in band and after meeting my bro within an hour had him nailed “He only plays for himself”. He can’t play in a band because they don’t meet his standards or he just tires of their mediocrity and basically wants to play when it suits him. So real familiar with the like. It’s not like they don’t play well just……..

Bozozoid

Knowing the guy the way that I do, I think he would noodle more in front of musicians. He doesn't behave professionally with a real crowd, he wouldn't do anything different if it was a room full of musicians. Bugs the crap outta me, noodles. To the point where I want to get right up in his grille, but I don't. Not my band. I want to though.
Hey...no ju jitsu. Just daggers.

Jasta 11

If setting up in front of the audience is unavoidable, then the absolute minimum needed to check function or line check, & even then, not even 1 bar from the set you're about to deliver!
we have a sound check original that we play, we actually have people start to dance during it at times, crazy swing dancers just canty wait. the singer does the testing "check 1 2" stuff and we stop. its not anything we play again and only a few measures or so to check the overall balance.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
we have a sound check original that we play, we actually have people start to dance during it at times, crazy swing dancers just canty wait. the singer does the testing "check 1 2" stuff and we stop. its not anything we play again and only a few measures or so to check the overall balance.
Warming up and sound check-ing are very different in my mind to noodling. Those first two have an actual purpose, the latter's only purpose seems to be to drive people crazy. ;)

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I think then people are warming up without understanding there is a time and (better) place to do it.
In the band I play in I use practice pads backstage. The guitarists either play unplugged, or have a little headphone pod. Keyboard players can warm up on stage, but use their keyboard's headphone output with the main output muted.
Our sax player has no choice but to warm up at normal volume, but he takes himself away from the audience if at all possible.
Warming up is hugely important and I think musicians just aren't preparing for that properly by carrying headphones, a practice amp and practice pad to their shows.

I always have a pair of marching sticks and a pad with me at shows. I sit in the dressing room for about 20 min before I hit the stage and warm up. If there is no suitable dressing room I find a dark corner away from people and try to control my volume. I've even just gone out to my car and popped open the back and warmed up playing with pad on my bumper. There has never been a situation where I've found noodling to be acceptable, ever! You will get fired, or I will fire you.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
Depends a little on the situation..

I understand that everyone here goes immediately into “Kenny Aronoff i am pro”-mode, but, for example..

If i enter an authentic punk festival (to be clear: my definition of authentic punk), i would actually be annoyed if there would be NO noodling or other chaos going on during breaks between bands or between songs or actually just during the whole thing..

I can also imagine some sort of avant-garde show just starting out of some noodling..

Lots of world music shows have a lot of noodling too..

There are more things in life than only corporate parties and weddings..

I agree that in the first post of this thread noodling was not too appropriate btw..

danondrums

I had a private party I did last weekend.

With this band, both the bass player AND the guitar player were noodling for like 30 minutes before we went on, amps on. 30 minutes of diarrhea Both of them. Sometimes playing the same song snippet, but mostly not. It was really hard to listen to. They ALWAYS do that.

My breaking point was when the organizer of the party went on mic and was talking. Meanwhile the bass player is noodling away. I shot him daggers and told him to STFU. Oh he didn't like that. I stated how COMPLETELY unprofessional that was and I don't care what he said, you DON'T noodle when someone is giving PSA's, period.

It just grinds my gears when people are SO self centered that they have to make people endure their crap noodling.

Does this bother anyone else or am I being too sensitive?
The absolute worst.

Bozozoid

I had a private party I did last weekend.

With this band, both the bass player AND the guitar player were noodling for like 30 minutes before we went on, amps on. 30 minutes of diarrhea Both of them. Sometimes playing the same song snippet, but mostly not. It was really hard to listen to. They ALWAYS do that.

My breaking point was when the organizer of the party went on mic and was talking. Meanwhile the bass player is noodling away. I shot him daggers and told him to STFU. Oh he didn't like that. I stated how COMPLETELY unprofessional that was and I don't care what he said, you DON'T noodle when someone is giving PSA's, period.

It just grinds my gears when people are SO self centered that they have to make people endure their crap noodling.

Does this bother anyone else or am I being too sensitive?
Please..i don't mean at all to make light of this as it's important to you but the part where you typed that you shot daggers at them and said STFU!..and oh..he didn't like that..was almost kinda spinal tap comedic. It really is spinal tappish..serious yet tappish at the same time. I just hope they weren't on 11.

SomeBadDrummer

Larry , face it. It's time to put a cucumber down your pants. Sorry Zucchini, Cucumbers are pimple..
This is the funniest thing I’ve heard all week!! I have tears literally streaming down my cheeks. Laughing out loud, my wife thinks I’m fn crazy

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Sometimes it's hard deciding between being a loose cannon or to just to shut up and play. Lately, I try to find a middle ground where I satisfy my need to use the pressure relief valve without going too far.

I've done the loose cannon thing. There must be a better way.

paradiddle pete

Platinum Member
Sometimes it's hard deciding between being a loose cannon or to just to shut up and play. Lately, I try to find a middle ground where I satisfy my need to use the pressure relief valve without going too far.

I've done the loose cannon thing. There must be a better way.
My advice would be to leave the area altogether until it's time to play.. Let them be Noodle Heads! someone will do it for you eventually..