Noodlers

SomeBadDrummer

I had a private party I did last weekend.

With this band, both the bass player AND the guitar player were noodling for like 30 minutes before we went on, amps on. 30 minutes of diarrhea Both of them. Sometimes playing the same song snippet, but mostly not. It was really hard to listen to. They ALWAYS do that.

My breaking point was when the organizer of the party went on mic and was talking. Meanwhile the bass player is noodling away. I shot him daggers and told him to STFU. Oh he didn't like that. I stated how COMPLETELY unprofessional that was and I don't care what he said, you DON'T noodle when someone is giving PSA's, period.

It just grinds my gears when people are SO self centered that they have to make people endure their crap noodling.

Does this bother anyone else or am I being too sensitive?
Noodling should be reserved exclusively for drummers!
Seriously, everyone should have enough familiarity with their instruments and amps that any noodling should be limited to about 20 seconds to make sure everything is working properly before kicking off the first set. Amateurs 🤡.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I endured it for a half hour because it's not my band and I don't give orders, just like they don't give me orders.
If they call you back, you can then mention it, and be prepared to turn the gig down if they don't want to look pro. Their behavior reflects on you, and no gig pays enough to not be having a good time behind the kit.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
It's absolutely one of the things that gets under my skin. I teach my students right from the start not to touch their instruments, EVER, unless directed to by either myself or the sound engineer doing a line check. I have also had to speak up and ask "professionals" to knock it off during rehearsals and at gigs. Sometimes I get the eye roll in return, but I'm not above going right up to them and telling them to stop noodling or I'll rip the cable right out of the amp in front of everyone.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I'm a noodler. Cant help it. I'm figity and cant sit still. If that upsets people, not sorry. I wont tell you to stop talking/tuning/picking your nose/whatever you do that bothers me, because I'm not a self absorbed control freak who gets bent out of shape because someone is doing something that I dont want them to do.

Sorry, rant over. Continue on with the complaining.

cbphoto

Gold Member
I'm a noodler. Cant help it. I'm figity and cant sit still. If that upsets people, not sorry. I wont tell you to stop talking/tuning/picking your nose/whatever you do that bothers me, because I'm not a self absorbed control freak who gets bent out of shape because someone is doing something that I dont want them to do.

Sorry, rant over. Continue on with the complaining.
Are you the guy that noodles in my soup?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Are you the guy that noodles in my soup?
Ive always noodled. Never heard anything from anyone about it. I mean seriously, musicians make noise with instruments, that's how it works. Sometimes the guitar player would be noodling and do something cool, and then all of a sudden we have a new idea for a song. I really dont see the problem.

FWIW, in a band situation I see wanting to have pointless conversations about whatever instead of playing much worse than noodling. The 10 minute banter between 4 minute songs is a huge waste of time.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Does this bother anyone else or am I being too sensitive?
No, not at all. If it was my event, you wouldn't have had to say anything ..... 'cause I would have told them to STFU !!! ;)

Noodling on stage. Nope. Never. Do that at home, or in the band room.

Bozozoid

Get a T-shirt for the next gig that says noodling is for nerds. It'll be a subliminal message. Or yell up at the stage with DUDE!..you didn't get enough at sound check!.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I came here thinking this was going to be about drummers noodling (which I find a lot more common) but no matter the instrument I cannot stand it. I'm glad to read I'm not alone on this. I understand that some folks have nervous energy or whatnot but onstage in a performance situation is just not the time to not have a little self control.

Ransan

Damn.
By the responses, sounds like a dicey situation.

Given time to warm up depending on circumstances.
Our band director had two main rules posturing us for performance.

When he was on the podium, attention was on him.
When his arms went up, instruments raised to playing position.

Mr. Baker definitely kept us in order…

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I recently mixed a band of 18-20 year olds who all did this - sax, guitars, keyboards, drums fiddling away on stage 15 minutes before the start time. I went up to them and had a polite word (I’m a high school teacher) and they understood and put the instruments down until the start.

Because of this I had low expectations, but when they played they were amazing, and blew the audience away! Fun party songs, great vocals and solid grooves. Just needed to be reminded about stage etiquette. Part of growing up I guess...

Chris Whitten

I think then people are warming up without understanding there is a time and (better) place to do it.
In the band I play in I use practice pads backstage. The guitarists either play unplugged, or have a little headphone pod. Keyboard players can warm up on stage, but use their keyboard's headphone output with the main output muted.
Our sax player has no choice but to warm up at normal volume, but he takes himself away from the audience if at all possible.
Warming up is hugely important and I think musicians just aren't preparing for that properly by carrying headphones, a practice amp and practice pad to their shows.