(Noob Question) - Practicing With a Bluetooth Speaker or Headphones?

I like to play without headphone because I like to hear the real sound of my drumset, it is good for practice dinamics for example. For metronome I use a speaker. But when I play over records I use a headphone and also I record to listen to after my practice. Of course for practice hours and hours fills for example I use a headphone.
I hope you're using some sort of hearing protection, with or without headphones. It won't take long before you start encountering permanent hearing loss otherwise.

Unpowered mixer? Get the headphone amp.
Just to clarify, because I am an idiot, an unpowered mixer is one with no onboard amplifier, correct?
The unpowered mixer may have a PS going into it, but that's only to run the board.

There is no reason an analog mixer shouldn't produce a good headphone signal. I would be contacting their support and explaining the problem. It may be as simple as the headphone port itself may be incorrectly soldered.

Be very, very careful pumping the gains up, you'll just end up with huge amounts of clipping.

I got it second-hand, so I do not believe that manufacturer support is an option.

This morning I tested the channels going direct in with a Gretsch G2622 only and without ANY ambient noise and everything seems to work as it should; just at what I think is a very low volume. I was able to hear because the drum kit wasn't overpowering the mixer if that makes any sense.

And I did pull the gains back down as soon as I discovered that it wasn't making a whole lot of difference.

just get these;

I have been using these for years and LOVE them...perfect for your situation

and I noticed the J bass avatar....fellow bass player here too!!!
In light of what has transpired over the past week, I have ordered these this morning. I will let you know how it goes.

Thank you for the recommendation. (y)

I'd suggest your used Alto has an issue with the headphone jack or something related. Could be a routing issue, but there aren't a lot of options there, so that seems unlikely.
You can occasionally run into issues with these things depending on impedance disparities, but that also seems unlikely.

I used the 4 channel version of that board for IEM mixes regularly without issue.

Once again, thanks to all who have responded. Taking the advice presented here, the Vic Firths have arrived and have made a WORLD of difference in my ability to actually hear the mixer output.

Yes, there was simply too much ambient sound from the kit itself with the non-isolating headphones.

My current mic set-up is somewhat less desirable so in addition to the Shures, I am going to get either a pair of Lewitt LCT 040s or AKG P170s. But have not quite settled on which condensers are better as I have not been able to find a direct A/B comparison on the YouTubes.

So, if y'all have suggestions for a sub-$250 pair of overheads, I am open to them.

Lastly, in the spirit of "no pics no gear" -

VicFirthCans01.jpg

And because I did not include them in my OP -

DMK57-52-08.jpg

Once again, thank you all for educating me as I progress.

I'm not sure what USD prices are, but what was recommended to me when I was looking for cheap overheads was a set of Rode NT5. I think they're about AU$500, so possibly closer to US$300?? I really don't know.

I also have a couple of sets of Rode M5, which I have been using as hihat and ride mics, as well as one set up as a room mic. But they seem to review well as a very cheap overhead mic set and also come as a matched pair.

... Rode NT5....

I also have a couple of sets of Rode M5, which I have been using as hihat and ride mics, as well as one set up as a room mic. But they seem to review well as a very cheap overhead mic set and also come as a matched pair.

The NT5s are $429 USD so I won't be doing those.

The M5s, however, are priced the same as the Lewitts at $199 US. So, I will add them to the "short list".

Thank you!

Back