noob--floor tom Question

mxo721

I've been very patient and methotical in learing to play drums, started out just hihats and snare, then added bass, then thr rack tom. I have a really hard time when using the floor tom in fills, of getting back to the hihat in time to get back on the beat. it' just such a long distance away from the hihat. any tips as to how to practice getting onto and off the floor tom, smoothly ? remember I'm new to drumming. thanks

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Just move fast. It's really not that far. It will help if you isolate the move- practice the fill by itself (the whole thing or just last few notes on the FT), plus one hihat note at the end.

cp84

non standard sticking can also make things easier. if you start to learn your rudients then they can make it easier to move around the kit.

It could also mean that there is some configuration problems with your set up. But most likely you just need to practice . And possibly move the floor Tom closer to you.

daredrummer

Gold Member
It could also mean that there is some configuration problems with your set up. But most likely you just need to practice . And possibly move the floor Tom closer to you.
Agreed, if you have your setup right it shouldn't be too far.
If you're still really struggling, then end the fill with your right hand, and hit the hats with your left on the first hit. This is especially useful at fast tempos.

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
Generally speaking, after hitting the floor tom, hitting a crash on the 1 of the next measure is what normally takes place, you usually don't go straight back into a groove without playing an accent on the 1.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Generally speaking, after hitting the floor tom, hitting a crash on the 1 of the next measure is what normally takes place, you usually don't go straight back into a groove without playing an accent on the 1.
Well, if you play general music, maybe that's the case most of the time ;)

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I often play the last beat of a fill on my floor tom with the right hand.
If I am going back to ride on the hats, I play the first beat of the ride with my left hand.
That gives me more time to cross my right hand back over to the hats.

Just something that I started doing. I don't know if this is taught by instructors.

I will also finish the fill on the FT with two hits of my left hand like a paradiddle.
This gives me more time to cross the right hand back over.

MattA

any tips as to how to practice getting onto and off the floor tom, smoothly ? remember I'm new to drumming. thanks
This gives me more time to cross the right hand back over.
Just to break down bobdadruma's explanation further: If you are new to drumming then you may not know that a common technique is to cross the right hand over the top of the left in this circumstance. This means that as your left hand plays the last stroke of your fill, your right hand is already moving over the top of it back to the hi-hat. As with anything, this movement takes practice until it is smooth. As was mentioned before, if you are still struggling, you might want to take a look at how your kit is set up to maximise the efficiency of your movement.

cp84

you could cross your arms but if you're moving back to the hithat its easier to just do the last two hits as a double with your right hand and then move to the hihat with your left for a beat IMO.

Nodiggie

Gold Member
Lots of great tips here. I would encourage you to slow the exercises way down to a crawl and when you get the hang of the cross over gradually speed up the tempo. It's great to hear new things (fills etc) in your head and then discover you can't exicute them the first time; happens to me all the time. I just slow it down, work it out so its smooth and the dynamics are right and then gradually speed the fill up.

The Gedge

This is probably not good advice, but I often don't end with the floor tom in a fill, perhaps replacing it with a cymbal, or something on the snare, before the next bar. This would avoid the problem and give you a little bit of creativity; unfortunately if you're trying to follow sheet music or tabs then this doesn't help at all, and might actually be bad because you don't get to practice moving from the floor tom.

Thujone

Ha! This is a problem that, as a new drummer, I've just begun to resolve. I will literally do a drill for several minutes where I play a simple beat for a measure and then do a fill which ends on the floor tom, usually some variation of snare, rack tom 1, rack tom 2, floor tom and then back to the beat. Since I'm trying to learn not only movement from just the floor tom, I involve all of them. The thing is, you can really change up the fill even when going in a simple clockwise motion around the kit by just changing the number of times you hit each drum. I've gotten considerably faster all the way around, including my return to the hi hat. But guess what? I've had to practice at it.

wsabol

Gold Member
I'd suggest keeping your torso relatively still. A lot of new guys feel like they have to turn their whole body to face the drum they are hitting when they go around the kit, but that is not the case. Your arms are the only things that need to move.

I'd also suggest isolating your right hand, or the hand that you're having trouble with, and getting the timing right from through the fill and to the hi hats, with just that hand. Once you're comfortable with the jump, then add the other hand back in.