Non-gigging Bands?

Billy Brown

Anyone involved in non-gigging projects? Are there options for people who want to play with others in a goal-oriented way but without the goal being to play out?

I think just jamming and/or recording can be a fun adventure too. I used to also like to play the random gig of substituting for someone or just practice one time and play a show. It was like a challenge, kept things interesting though.

xcaliburinhand

I'm in one right now. It's nice to be able to jam and not have the pressure to get everything all polished and ready for an upcoming show.

Most of our time is spent being creative, in the end it is pretty rewarding.

Billy Brown

I used to also like to play the random gig of substituting for someone or just practice one time and play a show. It was like a challenge, kept things interesting though.
You have more courage than me!!

I'm in one right now. It's nice to be able to jam and not have the pressure to get everything all polished and ready for an upcoming show.

Most of our time is spent being creative, in the end it is pretty rewarding.
xcalibur, does your band plan to record or anything? Do you write songs?

Xalky

I'm in a non gigging band right now. We might play 1-2 gigs a year at friends partys and stuff but for the most part we just get together once or twice a week and play.

We're all in our 40s and and early 50s, we have a blast. We've all been playing since we were kids so there's a lot of talent in the room.

Our guitarist has a large finished "band room" in the basement of his house. There's 10s of thousands of dollars worth of equipment. We all have good jobs so we got the money to buy the good stuff.

It's a pleasure to play with guys that can really play almost anything. But we mainly play 70's rock ie: Neil young, Clapton, Zepplin. Hendrix, allman brothers, the Who. We also play a lot of Gov't mule stuff some originals and covers.

R Furb

I'm doing one song with a guitarist for a documentary, just gonna record it. I'm also in a band where we just get together and have fun jamming and improvising stuff, and we do covers sometimes, we don't have a goal though other than to have a good time.

xcaliburinhand

xcalibur, does your band plan to record or anything? Do you write songs?
Our sessions tend to be very unstructured, someone starts playing something and we let the music tell us where it wants to go. Can be a blessing and a curse.

Been a lot of times we put together some pretty good stuff but when we try to put it down on paper none of us can really remember what we did. So if anything we are looking at recording our sessions for nothing more then being able to remember the good stuff.

All and all it is really just playing for us and our love of the art.

Xalky

Our sessions tend to be very unstructured, someone starts playing something and we let the music tell us where it wants to go. Can be a blessing and a curse.

Been a lot of times we put together some pretty good stuff but when we try to put it down on paper none of us can really remember what we did. So if anything we are looking at recording our sessions for nothing more then being able to remember the good stuff.

All and all it is really just playing for us and our love of the art.
We do the same thing. We'll play this awesome jamb and completely forget what we played the next time we play.

I'm seriously condidering buying one of those pocket digital recorders to set up in the band room every time we play. Every single session someone does something absoluty amazing and then poof.... it dissappears into the universe of greatness forever.

jjmason777

I am in 2 bands. The first is a gigging cover band, and the second is a non-gigging just for fun band. I enjoy them both. In the non gig band, since there is no pressure, or deadlines to learn or write things, the incredibly loose atmosphere leads to some amazing jams. We record everything, and sometimes I am blown away by what we do.

Billy Brown

I am in 2 bands. The first is a gigging cover band, and the second is a non-gigging just for fun band. I enjoy them both. In the non gig band, since there is no pressure, or deadlines to learn or write things, the incredibly loose atmosphere leads to some amazing jams. We record everything, and sometimes I am blown away by what we do.
Sounds killer, man.

Vipercussionist

Silver Member
Anyone involved in non-gigging projects? Are there options for people who want to play with others in a goal-oriented way but without the goal being to play out?
Years ago, the band I was with used to share a rehearsal hall with a band that never played out. They would play Rush and other real HEAVY Prog Rock pieces, and they did them well, but they had NO interest dragging heavy equipment to play in smoky bars for little or no money. They were EASILY the best band around and no one but us ever knew it.

We opted to play out for the little money!! :D