Nomads.. Should I?

klopee

I have given up on getting bags, as i just spent over 3K on my new kit, and want to keep her protected.

so I think im gong to get nomads, as my budget isnt very high... anyone have any experience with Nomads? and can give me an insight?

details:
kit: 12x8 (with suspension mount), 14x14, 20x20, 13x6.5
gigging: i usually play 1-2 shows a month, in the same city i live in.. but all the gear goes in 1 van. im usually the one who carries the drums into the venues, and im protective of them. i dont expect to be dropping them, but if one falls over, id like to know i wont open it to find kindling where my drum used to be.

Last edited:
40 people have read this thread and not one can give me a yay or nay on if nomads are any good?

Yeah I don't even know what you are referring to. Are they like drum rolls?

I read the thread because of the title. should I what, and what are Nomads, but since I haven't used them I can't give you an answer either. Maybe "Nomad Bags..Are they worth Buying?"

Okay, I did the work for him: Nomad drum cases.

These are plain, unlined fiberboard cases.

I say save up for nice bags. Fiberboard cases are usually flimsy and actually offer less protection to the drums. Not only do good bags present a soft interior to the drums, they are also easier to fit inside your vehicle.

If you can't afford good drum bags or real, lined hardshell cases, don't waste your money on these. Start saving.

Hi,

I use them.

The good: Price, weight, OK protection if your careful

The bad: No padding,
The bass drum case is a pain in the #@! with the three straps, meaning you have to put the bass drum inside, put the cover on and then flip the drum over to buckle the case shut.

If you have a limited budget they will get you by.

I have switched over to Protection Racket and they're great. Soft bags but very thick.

Good luck with your decision.

If it were me, I would definately save up for something better. If you're willing to throw $3K toward a kit, why wouldn't you want the proper protection for those babies?! I've been lookin at XL Specialty Percussion Protechtor Elite Air Series cases. You should check them out. The prices arent really that bad, either. I think musiciansfriend just picked them up, and i know interstatemusic sells them.

If it were me, I would definately save up for something better. If you're willing to throw $3K toward a kit, why wouldn't you want the proper protection for those babies?! I've been lookin at XL Specialty Percussion Protechtor Elite Air Series cases. You should check them out. The prices arent really that bad, either. I think musiciansfriend just picked them up, and i know interstatemusic sells them.

Not only that, but there are bags out there such as the Galaxy bags that I use, that are perfectly fine and not so expensive. You can usually get a prepackaged set of such bags for a substantial savings, then add whatever other sizes you need individually. The Galaxy bags in particular come in a huge number of different sizes.

Iv had bags, and didnt like em, i dont trust them when everythings going in the van with all my bands other gear.

My drum guy called me up to inform me that nomad (which i guess is canadian, as none of you know who they are haha) ran out of their standard fibreboard (i think ti comes from overseas) and so they wont lose business, they had to eat some crow and buy a batch of a much thicker and more durable (and more expensive) board to make their cases from until their shipement of the regular fibre board is in. the price i got for 22"kick (telescope up to 24"), 16" floor, 14" snare, 13" tom was $230 all together.

I was going to buy molded plastics, but since i have an odd sized kick (20x20), the kick alone would be over $200, and since i only do 1 gig a month, if that, and am the one who loads and unloads my gear, i couldnt pass up the deal.

I got oversized cases because i plan to buy 1" foam and line the inside of the cases so the drums sit snuggly inside.

Back