Noble & Cooley's new Union Series using Tulipwood. WOW!

Vandalay

A couple of observations;
To my ears, most kits sound good miced up
With just the room mics these drums sound good but not that special
Shane is a better salesman than a drummer

s1212z

@GetAgrippa He mentions in the video that Tulipwood is in the Poplar family, but that they sound more like Birch, and I agree. They sound nothing like Poplar.
Your ears are correct. According to wiki, Tulipwood (Liriodendron tulipfera) isn't actually related to 'poplar despite the 'yellow poplar' or 'tulip poplar' title. From what I see, it has a higher janka (~540) too compared to a white poplar (350-420) though I'm not sure exactly what species is well known in the drum world (maybe N. American Populus tremuloides?).

I thought the review sounded great and the line will be success. The sustain the on 10" was just bit short to my ear but otherwise a nice fit in their line (nothing they have sounds like this). The NC lineage to the Civil War and tulipwood drums is very unique and a great marketing angle.

Artstar

Platinum Member
A couple of observations;
To my ears, most kits sound good miced up
With just the room mics these drums sound good but not that special
Shane is a better salesman than a drummer

Somebody buy this guy a beer..... or whatever he drinks.. ... Comment of the thread IMO.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Here is a class where you make your own stave drum. Maybe you could bring your own wood. Since you know woodworking, you should be able to make your own anyway at home.

Thanks for the link. Something to look into for sure. Right now I'm just refurbishing already built drums for people. How'd you know about my woodworking?

johnwesley

Silver Member
You’ve mentioned it before. The videos and the description make it sound like fun. If you don’t worry about matching outside grain, I think 32 smaller pieces could be sawn and glued together and make an interesting shell. You wouldn’t need a huge plank of wood.

Anyways, it is fun to think about it.
Yeah it does look fun. Here's one I'd love to do.

madjack956

The trunks can get to about 18 inch diameter on both but generally around 14 inches is normal.
Mesquite is some pretty hard wood. I got 4+ acres of it, and it wears out the chains on my saw pretty quick.
We need more guys like John Good in the industry. He is always trying new things and trying to improve products. That can only be good for us and the industry as a whole.