Noble & Cooley's new Union Series using Tulipwood. WOW!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Tulipwood? I think Andy mentioned that is a yellow poplar species- I think it was both-dang now I question both??? Anyways they do sound really good and do have a clarity to them. You can find hard and soft species of about every group of trees - then to some trees can easily hybridize so what it looks like dominantly may not reflect actual genetics and other traits. I’ve often wondered about that like Oaks, Beeches, Walnuts, Ashes, and Alders can, have and do hybridize

Artstar

Platinum Member

Noble says they are the only production Tulip (poplar) kit around.. but Natal has had their Tulip kits out for a few years now:

incrementalg

Gold Member
I like the sound of both the N&C and Natal sets. They both have a warm kinda woofy sound that leans towards vintage sounding drums.

RickP

Gold Member
I owned a 5” N&C Tulipwood snare - a nice snare but I think Tulipwood suits deeper snare drums better . It has a thicker note than maple , not as sharp and cutting as maple but not fuzzy or in distinct either . It has a clear note but very thick .

incrementalg

Gold Member
I owned a 5” N&C Tulipwood snare - a nice snare but I think Tulipwood suits deeper snare drums better . It has a thicker note than maple , not as sharp and cutting as maple but not fuzzy or in distinct either . It has a clear note but very thick .
That thick note is pulling me toward one of the N&C solid shell tulip snares. I think I’m going to pull the trigger on one, but in a lacquer finish. There was a new one for sale local to me that I really liked, but I dragged my feet and someone bought it.

IBitePrettyHard

Maybe we're seeing the beginnings of a new popular tone wood for drums? It has a unique and distinct sound when you compare it to Maple and Birch.

Remember, Maple wasn't always the wood of choice. It took decades for it to become popular. There could be many other wood types out there that just haven't been 'discovered' yet. Like Tulipwood perhaps?

Why hasn't John Good made DW kits with Tulipwood yet?

NouveauCliche

Listen to that attack and clarity even at low volume. Most kits don't have tone like that when you play them softly. Very impressive.

They have a Gretschy vibe to them, but with their own unique quality as well.

Clean and immediate tone, no delay to the attack.

Those sound really great - I wouldn't expect much else from N&C though.

Lee-Bro

I have a tulip tree in my front yard. It's easily 20" in diameter and about 40 ft. tall. I'm hoping we don't have to take it down while we live here. If so, I'll see if a drum maker wants to buy it. :cool: