Noble & Cooley

How do their drums sound?

Really top quality drums: I've literally never heard a set that sounded a bad and I recently picked up one of their snares and it's amazing.

They typically have a focused powerful tone - I've really only experienced the CD Maples in person but they were absolutely top notch. I'd love to try the Walnut classics and the new Union Series tulip drums.

It matters who's sitting behind the kit. If it's me, they sound like "Meh"

;)

I just learned that Martin Lopez plays them. I like his work with Opeth, but I think that may have been before he switched to Nobel and Cooley. Anyways, super cool drummer.

Really top quality drums: I've literally never heard a set that sounded a bad and I recently picked up one of their snares and it's amazing.

They typically have a focused powerful tone - I've really only experienced the CD Maples in person but they were absolutely top notch. I'd love to try the Walnut classics and the new Union Series tulip drums.

Thanks. They caught my attention because they have been around for a very long time.

I don't know much about Noble & Cooley. But I was watching a Marcus King Band video the other night and noticed that drummer Jack Ryan was playing one of their kits. Great music. There's a solo, go to 1hr 16 mins.

I currently own a CD Maples kit and Horizon series kit . I have also extensive experience with the Walnut and Union Series as well . My local shop that I work for occasionally is a Noble and Cooley Dealer .

The SS snares are superb snares - extremely sensitive And articulate with a huge tuning range and volume threshold.

The CD Maples series are 100% maple ply shells with different ply layups depending on the diameter of the drum . They have the classic maple sound . Great cut and resonance . I was really surprised at exactly how resonant these drums were when I first got to play them . Best of all this series is the least expensive line in the lineup .

The Horizon series are a maple shell with an inner ply of African Mahogany . The plies are oriented in a mainly horizontal layup to simulate a solid shell . The African mahogany inner ply really warms up the shell sound and enhanced the low end . They don’t have the bite of the CD Maples , but they are wonderful drums . They are slightly more expensive than the CD Maples .

The Walnut kits are very rich and expressive with tons of bottom end and fullness and power . Superb drums suitable for any style of music . Due to the dark grain of walnut the translucent finish options are limited. These are priced about the same as the Horizon series

The Union series are new . Tulipwood shells . A throwback to when they made snares for the Union Army out of Tulipwood . These drums are Uber Phat sounding . They don’t have the bite of maple or walnut . A slightly more rounded attack . Full sounding and very warm . These would be wonderful studio drums . Tulipwood has a very subtle grain in comparison to maple or walnut . It can go from being very light blond to almost greenish hues . My personal preference is more to the other line than the Union series .

Noble and Cooley makes some very interesting snares from the sale shells as the kits listed above - multi-ply snares that sound really great .
They also make some gorgeous metal shell snares . The 3 mm sandcast aluminum Alloy Classic are a personal favourite . They make a Copper 3 mm cast shell snare as well . I prefer the aluminum Alloy Classic .

The Union series are new . Tulipwood shells . A throwback to when they made snares for the Union Army out of Tulipwood . These drums are Uber Phat sounding . They don’t have the bite of maple or walnut . A slightly more rounded attack . Full sounding and very warm .

I dunno, if this video of the Tulipwood kit is any indication, I'm hearing tons of attack. Way more attack than almost any kit out there. Like a Birch kit on steroids, but with some extra warmth thrown in as well. I love how they sound.

I dunno, if this video of the Tulipwood kit is any indication, I'm hearing tons of attack. Way more attack than almost any kit out there. Like a Birch kit on steroids, but with some extra warmth thrown in as well. I love how they sound.

You need to play the Union Series kits in person (I have multiple times ). Compared to the CD Maples and Walnut N&C kits the attack especially of the rack toms is like someone put a few piece of moon gel on a CD Maples kit . The attack is slightly muffled . The floor Toms and bass drums in the Union series are fantastic .

Tulipwood IMHO is far better suited to larger sizes . I owned a 5” Tulipwood SS snare and just found it did not have the character and versatility of the 7” Tulipwood snare . The 5” is a fine drum just pales in comparison to the 7” version .

Last edited:
I've only played some snares.

I own two of their steambent single ply wood shells- Maple and cherry and the 7x14 is the closest thing to a Radio King I've played yet.
My 6x14 Cherry I can practically feel in my gut when I lay into it with an ear-splitting crack.
These shells are really resonant and have great dynamic range and are pretty articulate. Pricey, but it's a quality hand made instrument that should last a lifetime.

I personally love their snare strainer. It's not the most sensitive one available on the market, but very functional - it's built like a tank with a simple design.

Haven't played their kits yet but the Horizon series have piqued my interest from what I've learned so far...

Last edited:
I've only played some snares...

I own two of their steambent single ply wood shells- Maple and cherry and the 7x14 is the closest thing to a Radio King I've played yet.
My 6x14 Cherry I can practically feel in my gut when I lay into it with an ear-splitting crack.
These shells are really resonant and have great dynamic range and are pretty articulate. Pricey, but it's a quality hand made instrument that should last a lifetime.

I personally love their snare strainer. It's not the most sensitive one on the market, but very practical and functional - it's built like a tank with a simple design.

Haven't played their kits yet but the Horizon series have piqued my interest from what I've learned so far...
Agreed. 100%. Love my Maple SS Classic snare.

I owned a 5” Tulipwood SS snare and just found it did not have the character and versatility of the 7” Tulipwood snare . The 5” is a fine drum just pales in comparison to the 7” version .

I think solid shell snares inherently need the deeper sizes to counteract the higher fundamental pitch of the thick shell. I haven't heard too many 5" depth SS snares that I liked.

The famous One Headlight snare is an exception, but it seems that most SS snares sound best in the 6-7" range.

You need to play the Union Series kits in person (I have multiple times ). Compared to the CD Maples and Walnut N&C kits the attack especially of the rack toms is like someone put a few piece of moi gel on a CD Maples kit . The attack is slightly muffled . The floor Toms and bass drums in the Union series are fantastic .

Tulipwood IMHO is far better suited to larger sizes . I owned a 5” Tulipwood SS snare and just found it did not have the character and versatility of the 7” Tulipwood snare . The 5” is a fine drum just pales in comparison to the 7” version .
The 7” Tulip SS snare is one my list to get. I tried one locally and it felt and sounded great! I love a snare that my sticks dig into a bit and the Tulip just has the perfect give and meaty-airy sound I want for a 2/4 snare.

I think solid shell snares inherently need the deeper sizes to counteract the higher fundamental pitch of the thick shell. I haven't heard too many 5" depth SS snares that I liked.

The famous One Headlight snare is an exception, but it seems that most SS snares sound best in the 6-7" range.

Depending on the wood type I would tend to agree with you. Exception being a Maple SS - they sound fantastic in the 5" and 3.75" depths. I stupidly sold a 5" N&C Maple SS in Honey maple gloss lacquer. It was a fantastic snare and I plan to replace it in 2021 .
Certain woods like Tulip, Walnut ,Beech, Birch and Ash IMHO favour deeper (6" plus) shells.
Maple and Cherry work well with just about any depth from my experience.

Back