Noble & Cooley

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I've got an N&C piccolo snare that I've used on a lot of sessions the last couple years. Super thick 3mm steel shell. Sounds great with the right heads. The snare's not "technically" mine, a producer friend lent it to me for a session a year and a half ago, and whenever I try to return it he's always like "eh, I don't need it right now." hahaha. Soooo It's now been featured on 3 or 4 records I've done.

RickP

Gold Member
Nob
I've got an N&C piccolo snare that I've used on a lot of sessions the last couple years. Super thick 3mm steel shell. Sounds great with the right heads. The snare's not "technically" mine, a producer friend lent it to me for a session a year and a half ago, and whenever I try to return it he's always like "eh, I don't need it right now." hahaha. Soooo It's now been featured on 3 or 4 records I've done.
Noble and Cooley do not make a steel shell snare . They do make an Alloy Classic (3mm sand cast aluminum shell) but it comes in 4.75” and 6” sizes . They did make a 13 x 6” model as an anniversary model . Could the snare you are talking about be one of these ? Could you post a picture of this snare ? I would be really curious to see it .

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Similar to the sound a shovel makes when digging up 10 year old threads. 🧐
I've mentioned this very thing in a few threads & how to go about preventing it.
No one took me seriously.

Yet people go back 1200+ posts, dig up something from 2007 & this is the usual comment.
So when will the Mods delete posts more than 3 years old so we don't have to keep doing this again & again?

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Oh 100%. When someone starts a thread about cymbals and 6 pages in the discussion is about home improvement or what drums Art Blakey played on stage in 1963, you know you're at Drummerworld.
To be fair, drumming touches on a LOT of areas that other instruments don’t all include simultaneously. But yeah

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Nob

Noble and Cooley do not make a steel shell snare . They do make an Alloy Classic (3mm sand cast aluminum shell) but it comes in 4.75” and 6” sizes . They did make a 13 x 6” model as an anniversary model . Could the snare you are talking about be one of these ? Could you post a picture of this snare ? I would be really curious to see it .
Ah, okay. The shell is black powder coat, so I couldn't tell what it was. I assumed it was Steel because I knew it wasn't brass, and steel is more common in cast shells than aluminum. The one I have is the 4.75 depth. Black shell, black hardware.

RickP

Gold Member
What does N&C mix with the Aluminum? Is it a tonal choice to deviate from pure aluminum to an aluminum based alloy? I am highly curious.
There are all sorts of aluminum based alloys . I worked in a foundry as a Production Planner and we did cast aluminum , brass ,bronze etc . You would be surprised at how many different alloys there are for various base metals .

someguy01

There are all sorts of aluminum based alloys . I worked in a foundry as a Production Planner and we did cast aluminum , brass ,bronze etc . You would be surprised at how many different alloys there are for various base metals .
Right. I am still curious as to what they mixed and if it's a tonal choice or a cost choice.
I machine parts out of billet all the time and I am aware of the expense of pure Al, thus my question.

RickP

Gold Member
Right. I am still curious as to what they mixed and if it's a tonal choice or a cost choice.
I machine parts out of billet all the time and I am aware of the expense of pure Al, thus my question.
You can email Nick Jones at N&C , I am sure he will respond