Noble and Cooley SS snare w no re rings

incrementalg

Gold Member
I received this drum today. It’s a older maple SS snare with no re rings. I didn’t know N&C made any without rings. It’s in amazing condition...just needs a little cleaning and probably some lube for the lugs.

Anyone know of or have experience with these? I haven’t played it yet, hitting it with no snare wires and at low tuning, it resonates more than the toms on my sets.A5356E4E-A06F-4FA4-B113-70B05AB68A74.jpeg974C91DF-F73F-402F-8F30-182D535A5758.jpeg697EF14C-D151-467F-9B2E-97C86C4B04C9.jpeg

Never heard of them making anything like this . This is kit to say it cannot happen . N&C has made a lot of prototypes and one offs over the years . This might be one of Bob Gatzen’s requested prototypes

Never heard of them making anything like this . This is kit to say it cannot happen . N&C has made a lot of prototypes and one offs over the years . This might be one of Bob Gatzen’s requested prototypes
I think you’re onto something. It was Bob’s snare so maybe it was a prototype that didn’t work out for production. I’m sure the risk of it going out of round without re rings would be high. The drum looks to be in round after all these years. Heads go on and off easily. I’m amazed by how it resonates w the snares off and low tuning. It puts the toms on my DW and Gretsch sets to shame.

Could be an invisible Re-ring

I owe Bob Gatzen. I have looked for him on social media a few times recently. Nothing on Instagram, posts on Facebook and Youtube no more recently than 2013. He has been elusive.
I had a few N&C prototypes back in the day. A couple of years ago I sent them back to N&C for their museum. I couldn't have sold them.

I bet Jay Jones at Noble & Cooley could shed some light on the backstory of this shell.

Wow, that’s one of the thickest single ply shells I’ve seen. That explains the lack of reinforcement rings, but it must have been a challenge bending a piece of wood that thick without breaking it. Steambent shells are usually thin for a reason.

I cleaned and lubed the strainer and tension rods and everything works smoothly. I haven’t had the chance to play it other than a few taps, but I’m surprised at how high it sounds with the heads at medium tension. It sounds like a giant piccolo snare...if that makes sense. I’ll let the heads stretch and get it behind the kit tomorrow for a test drive.

I don't think that thick of a shell really needs reinforcement rings unless it was made of balsa wood.

I cleaned and lubed the strainer and tension rods and everything works smoothly. I haven’t had the chance to play it other than a few taps, but I’m surprised at how high it sounds with the heads at medium tension. It sounds like a giant piccolo snare...if that makes sense. I’ll let the heads stretch and get it behind the kit tomorrow for a test drive.

I expected that seeing the thicker shell and no re-rings.

I spent some time playing the snare today. The snare response is great...very articulate at any volume. The drum doesn’t have a lot of tone...it’s pretty dry sounding, but not papery or raspy dry. It has a lot body, but mostly at medium high to high tuning. It feels and sounds like a piccolo from my seat, but out in front it sounds really full. I don’t gig any more, but if I did, this thing would be amazing for un mic’d gigs.

Last edited:
Back