No, Your Favorite Product is NOT the Best

Lefty Phillips

Oh, here's something objective!

Drummers are just as persnickity as guitarists.

I suppose that leads me to the inevitable conclusion: I suck because I suck, not because my gear sucks?

Or: If I sound good, it's because I'm good, not because my gear permits.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I suppose that leads me to the inevitable conclusion: I suck because I suck, not because my gear sucks?

hmm...I don't know...most of the guitar players I have worked with blame everything on their pedals, or cord, or pickup switches:

me: "dude, your not ending that phrase with us"
guit: "my pedal board is crapping out"

me: "dude, it goes to G for the last 4 measures of the verse"
guitar: "yeah I know. The gauge of these new strings is messing me up"

Lefty Phillips

hmm...I don't know...most of the guitar players I have worked with blame everything on their pedals, or cord, or pickup switches:

me: "dude, your not ending that phrase with us"
guit: "my pedal board is crapping out"

me: "dude, it goes to G for the last 4 measures of the verse"
guitar: "yeah I know. The gauge of these new strings is messing me up"
It's not you. It's not me. It's the bassist's fault. :p

SomeBadDrummer

And back to the OP, yes my favorite product IS the best dammit. Otherwise it wouldn't be my favorite.

This case is closed.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

SomeBadDrummer

Good gear won’t make you a better drummer, except that sitting behind a good quality kit does tend to elevate the playing. Psychologically makes you want to live up to the standards of a well respected kit.

I drive better in a high end car than I could in a Yugo or Gremlin because the power and handling of the vehicle allows me to. Same thing with drums and cymbals to some degree. Although a beater kit with new heads tuned properly could probably be used for any studio recording, a well constructed high end kit with the same heads and tuning would undoubtedly sound better. Not to mention the hardware.

Last edited:

bud7h4

Silver Member
4. All the major cymbal companies make well-produced cymbals that may or may not be to your taste. Your favorite cymbal brand also makes cymbals that are not to your taste. Your lack of exposure to the breadth of the product line of any top cymbal manufacturer is a big reason why you don't like certain brands

So true I laughed out loud. Spot on.
5. When head choice, diameter, tuning, muffling, snare selection, room, mic, and player are all taken out of the picture, the differences among snare drums are NOT massive.
6. Ditto for toms and bass drums.

The catch is though, that while the differences are not massive, those small differences can matter very much. Sort of like a squeaky pedal may be barely noticeable but no squeak makes a huge difference.

Lefty Phillips

Good gear won’t make you a better drummer, except that sitting behind a good quality kit does tend to elevate the playing. Psychologically makes you want to live up to the standards of a well respected kit.

I drive better in a high end car than I could in a Yugo or Gremlin because the power and handling of the vehicle allows me to. Same thing with drums and cymbals to some degree. Although a beater kit with new heads tuned properly could probably be used for any studio recording, a well constructed high end kit with the same heads and tuning would undoubtedly sound better. Not to mention the hardware.
Yeah, that was more or less my point, but I question the merit of your assertion that better gear would "undoubtedly sound better."

Unless we're talking about gear that is damaged or defective, wonderful sounds can be made by a good player on damned near anything. There are many examples of this; for example, Jimmy Page's favorite slide guitar is a Danelectro, which is made of particle board. Jimi Hendrix plays a Kazoo on "Crosstown Traffic." Et cetera.

SomeBadDrummer

Yeah I figured I’d catch some backlash from using the words “undoubtedly sound better”. Perhaps I should have said “most likely have more appealing sounds produced with truer tones”.:unsure:

To your point, I remember reading somewhere that Bobby Jones could beat most people at a round of golf using a tree branch for clubs. I probably got that wrong too, so I’m sure someone will correct me :D

someguy01

To your point, I remember reading somewhere that Bobby Jones could beat most people at a round of golf using a tree branch for clubs. I probably got that wrong too, so I’m sure someone will correct me :D
This is true to the best of my knowledge and investigations. Bobby Jones was a natural talent that has been unseen since. It pains me to see what the board at Augusta National has done to Bobby and Alistair's design.
Also in this vein, as kid Lee Trevino would bet people on the golf course he could beat them in a round using only a coke bottle. He won, a lot.
He also was the man who said: " If you're ever stuck on the course in a lightening storm, hold a 1 iron over head. Even God can't hit a 1 iron"

SomeBadDrummer

This is true to the best of my knowledge and investigations. Bobby Jones was a natural talent that has been unseen since. It pains me to see what the board at Augusta National has done to Bobby and Alistair's design.
Also in this vein, as kid Lee Trevino would bet people on the golf course he could beat them in a round using only a coke bottle. He won, a lot.
He also was the man who said: " If you're ever stuck on the course in a lightening storm, hold a 1 iron over head. Even God can't hit a 1 iron"
reminds me of caddyshack when the preacher has the best round of his life in a lightning/rain storm. and then gets fried. probably worse ways to go out...