No rebound on my snare!

jjmason777

In all my years, I have never had this happen. Even though the batter head is tuned plywood tight, I get no rebound. It's like the head is absorbing the energy of the stroke, and the stick won't bounce! How is this possible? The drum sounds great, but almost zero rebound. Any thoughts?

Now that is strange. I'm no drum tech but i would put another head on it. Sounds like to me the head could be bad. Just a guess, trying to help. lol

OH MY GOD!!! TELL ME YOU DID NOT PUT ONE OF THSE ON YOUR DRUM?????

ShrunkenHead.jpg

Sorry.

I have no answers for you. Just a photo of a shrunken head.

These guys can provide rebound help. :)

Attachments

• charles barkley.jpg
    charles barkley.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,479
  • dennis rodman.jpg
    dennis rodman.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 1,903
Sorry Timm, but Barclay's twice that size now, and Rodman is now featured on Celebrity Rehab.

Wy, there is a hidden message in there I'm sure...

I'll try another head. Seems to be the consensus.

Sorry Timm, but Barclay's twice that size now, and Rodman is now featured on Celebrity Rehab.

Well, yeah, but they know a lil' something about rebounding, haha! Barkley's nickname was the Round Mound of Rebound!

Well, I got it figured out. Thanks to everyone for trying to help. (Seriously, Frank, I have been drumming for longer than you've been alive. I already knew what a reso head was before you were born! LOL! But I did enjoy the video of your band. Good stuff! I really liked the way your snare sounds on the recording, especially when you were playing it harder. Nice and open.)

Anyway, the heads are new, just like the drums. But I tried another head, cranked it up, and it did the same thing! No rebound in the middle of the drum. (Kind of like a floor tom). I thought it was tight, but I tensioned it even more, and it came to life. So I put the first head back on and tightened it up higher than it was to begin with and it's fine now. Rebound galore!

There is a learning curve to tuning Trick drums. I think it has to do with the very narrow bearing edge. These drums have a very wide tuning range, and I just didn't go far enough with it in the first place. It sounds even better now, and I liked it before!

Thanks again everyone!

Jeff

Well, I got it figured out. Thanks to everyone for trying to help. (Seriously, Frank, I have been drumming for longer than you've been alive. I already knew what a reso head was before you were born! LOL! But I did enjoy the video of your band. Good stuff! I really liked the way your snare sounds on the recording, especially when you were playing it harder. Nice and open.)

Anyway, the heads are new, just like the drums. But I tried another head, cranked it up, and it did the same thing! No rebound in the middle of the drum. (Kind of like a floor tom). I thought it was tight, but I tensioned it even more, and it came to life. So I put the first head back on and tightened it up higher than it was to begin with and it's fine now. Rebound galore!

There is a learning curve to tuning Trick drums. I think it has to do with the very narrow bearing edge. These drums have a very wide tuning range, and I just didn't go far enough with it in the first place. It sounds even better now, and I liked it before!

Thanks again everyone!

Jeff

Great topic.

I have this same problem, reboundless snare, have been few years, and even my legs has usually much better rebound than my snare, and maybe that is a reason why I usually just sit in chain, watch programs with subtitles from television, listen randomly music and use my legs as drums and try to play my kit in my mind.

Snare-issue has stayed even I have turned every screw in a many different position, but I have not turned just enough or in a right direction, but I think these advices will help, because now I have something info where to go.

Thanks!

In the original post, you mentioned that the head was "plywood tight." Depending on the head material, that could actually be the problem! Here is an example: I have a Vic Firth double sided practice pad. I get the most rebound on the softer side, which has more give to it. Think of a trampoline. . . you need a certain amount of give when the stick hits, in order to spring back, which is rebound. If I play on my kitchen table, I have no rebound. A head with slight give will give you more rebound. Too low of a tuning will absorb the impact too much, and just be mushy. You need to find the sweet spot in tuning. My Ludwig Acrolite likes a fairly low tuning with and Evans Genera dry head, and I get plenty of rebound!

Great topic.

I have this same problem, reboundless snare, have been few years, and even my legs has usually much better rebound than my snare, and maybe that is a reason why I usually just sit in chain, watch programs with subtitles from television, listen randomly music and use my legs as drums and try to play my kit in my mind.

Snare-issue has stayed even I have turned every screw in a many different position, but I have not turned just enough or in a right direction, but I think these advices will help, because now I have something info where to go.

Thanks!

I quore myself, but I have to say, that this topic goes straight to top ten in my life so far. Concerning drumming.

There was this never before in my life, now there is. Only about few screws. Still turning them, but now I know much better than couple a days ago where to turn them and how much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi2vaNRuFTc&list=UUYeEJxebaPh2pVIb1KCQLQw&index=1&feature=plcp

Thanks, for everybody.

Back