No More Zildjians

acsunda

I received my Meinl Byzance dark ride today (which is beautiful by the way), and it suddenly occurred to me that for the first time since I started playing in high school, I don’t have a single Zildjian cymbal in my kit. Don’t get me wrong, I still dig Zildjians, but I was just sort of surprised at myself. There was a time (in my younger years) when I thought you’d have to be crazy to play anything but Zildjian.

IMG_0813.JPG

if there was any cymbal brand that would pull me away from Zildjian, it would be Meinl.... I love many of the sounds they are coming out with

I received my Meinl Byzance dark ride today (which is beautiful by the way), and it suddenly occurred to me that for the first time since I started playing in high school, I don’t have a single Zildjian cymbal in my kit. Don’t get me wrong, I still dig Zildjians, but I was just sort of surprised at myself. There was a time (in my younger years) when I thought you’d have to be crazy to play anything but Zildjian.

View attachment 96681

Big bosphorus fan and long time endorser here: I approve of this set up haha :)

Glad you found your sound and you are enjoying it! Pretty Batch!

(I'm with @C.M. Jones - mis-matched brands drive me nuts, but I understand it)

I can't mix and match cymbal brands within my setup. I've always played only one brand at a time, as well as only one family within that brand. I like character consistency; others like character contrast. Everyone should play what he or she likes most.

The way it worked out for me was all crashes, hats, and ride are Zildjian, and all my trashy cymbals are Sabian. All were selected because each sounded best to me in it's category.

@ acsunda , I love the way Meinl crashes in particular sound recorded and miced live (I'm actually not hearing anything better than Meinl these days), but the natural acoustic sound of Zildjian Custom (A and K) as well as some Paiste series sound the best to me.

Last edited:
I’m a huge believer that your ears should choose the cymbals, not the logo...nice set up mate. (y) :cool:
100%. I just don't get why people are so hellbent on all cymbals being from the same manufacturer. You´re completely reducing your sound palette by doing such a thing. If you're not contractually obliged to do it, then I don't see a reason why one would.

I can't mix and match cymbal brands within my setup. I've always played only one brand at a time, as well as only one family within that brand. I like character consistency; others like character contrast. Everyone should play what he or she likes most.

Same. It drives me nuts that my drums say Pearl but my hardware says Tama.

Last edited:
For consistency I'd recommend Pearl branded Remo heads, a Black Diamond Pearl Wrap and these cymbals: :)
View attachment 96692

Ha! I'll pass on going to those extremes. I like category consistency (e.g., Pearl drums and hardware, Remo heads, Zildjian cymbals, and so on), not universal consistency. Were I committed to the second condition, I'd have Pearl cover my truck in a fine Delmar drum wrap.

I'm a Zil man (I love my K Mastersounds) but when I watched this video here on DW-I've had a hankering for those Paiste Dark Energy hi hats.

Back