No More Zildjians

madjack956

100%. I just don't get why people are so hellbent on all cymbals being from the same manufacturer. You´re completely reducing your sound palette by doing such a thing. If you're not contractually obliged to do it, then I don't see a reason why one would.
It could be that they listened to other cymbals over their lifetime and their ear always gravitates to the cymbal sound they like.
For instance. I don't like China cymbals or trash cymbals. Maybe because it reminds me of when I was young and broke and banged on books, boxes and trash can lids.
I don't care for dark cymbals or the sound of stacks. I like a bright sound when I crash.
It's just me and my ear. I don't need to see a reason why others would use what I don't care for. I already figure their choice of cymbals are music to their ears like my choice is music to mine.
Everyone is happy!

belairien

Silver Member
I am also now Zildjian free. I've been playing the same 14" A Mastersounds for years, even as I cycled through other brands finding what I liked.

Just replaced them with some 15" AAX medium hats, and finally have the versatility I want. Rest of my set up is the bigger, thinner pies from the AA/AAX lines. So darker and lower pitched than one would expect. Bright enough to cut in rock and metal, but can easily be controlled for the soft stuff. Plus the fat stick sound on those hats is glorious.

C.M. Jones

I am also now Zildjian free. I've been playing the same 14" A Mastersounds for years, even as I cycled through other brands finding what I liked.

Just replaced them with some 15" AAX medium hats, and finally have the versatility I want. Rest of my set up is the bigger, thinner pies from the AA/AAX lines. So darker and lower pitched than one would expect. Bright enough to cut in rock and metal, but can easily be controlled for the soft stuff. Plus the fat stick sound on those hats is glorious.

Your cymbal transition is similar to my recent one. I switched to Zildjian's A Avedis series and went with two big thin crashes (18" and 19), a 21" thin ride and 15" hats. The pitch range is certainly low all around. The 15" hats are especially spectacular.

belairien

Silver Member
Your cymbal transition is similar to my recent one. I switched to Zildjian's A Avedis series and went with two big thin crashes (18" and 19), a 21" thin ride and 15" hats. The pitch range is certainly low all around. The 15" hats are especially spectacular.
With the hats are a 19" Xplosion fast crash, a 20" Aero crash, and 21" Bash ride. I would have gone darker if I didn't play a lot of metal rock and grunge. But after using them in a context where one would expect a darker sound, they were fantastic.

I can cover light acoustic songs all the way up to wall of sound doom without flinching.

C.M. Jones

With the hats are a 19" Xplosion fast crash, a 20" Aero crash, and 21" Bash ride. I would have gone darker if I didn't play a lot of metal rock and grunge. But after using them in a context where one would expect a darker sound, they were fantastic.

I can cover light acoustic songs all the way up to wall of sound doom without flinching.

Nice assortment. I somewhat wish I'd gone with 19" and 20" crashes or even with two 19"s instead of an 18" and a 19". No harm done though. I can always get another and have a rotation of three to use as desired.

belairien

Silver Member
Nice assortment. I somewhat wish I'd gone with 19" and 20" crashes or even with two 19"s instead of an 18" and a 19". No harm done though. I can always get another and have a rotation of three to use as desired.
I wish they had a 20" Xplosion Fast. I would give the Aero crash the duty of my optional china.

They get a nice little wobble with how thin they are compared to things like A customs.

C.M. Jones

I wish they had a 20" Xplosion Fast. I would give the Aero crash the duty of my optional china.

They get a nice little wobble with how thin they are compared to things like A customs.

My new A Avedis crashes are probably the thinnest I've ever played. That goes for the ride too. Nothing feels better than a cymbal you can slice through like whipped cream. I've never cared for heavy crashes. Their tonality is too high, and some are as stiff as cement disks.

belairien

Silver Member
My new A Avedis crashes are probably the thinnest I've ever played. That goes for the ride too. Nothing feels better than a cymbal you can slice through like whipped cream. I've never cared for heavy crashes. Their tonality is too high, and some are as stiff as cement disks.
Used to have a 60's A Zildjian ride that was so heavy it was like playing a manhole cover. Medium- thin is where it's at for me. Ping, wash, and crash. Multi-use so I can carry less to the gig ;)

C.M. Jones

Used to have a 60's A Zildjian ride that was so heavy it was like playing a manhole cover. Medium- thin is where it's at for me. Ping, wash, and crash. Multi-use so I can carry less to the gig ;)

Multi-use. Now you're talkin'! That's one thing that drew me to the Avedis series. Aside from hats, offered in 14", 15", and 16", all other cymbals (18" through 22") are multi-use designated. The cymbal industry has gotten out of hand with specs: crash ride, light ride, medium ride, ping ride, rock ride -- let's just find some all-purpose profiles and play.

belairien

Silver Member
Multi-use. Now you're talkin'! That's one thing that drew me to the Avedis series. Aside from hats, offered in 14", 15", and 16", all other cymbals (18" through 22") are multi-use designated. The cymbal industry has gotten out of hand with specs: crash ride, light ride, medium ride, ping ride, rock ride -- let's just find some all-purpose profiles and play.
I've had all but the hats for a few years now, and now Sabian has a bunch of AAXs listed by weight range. Looks like they are moving more towards universal. Still listing them as crashes and rides, but its a start. The Xplosions are still nice for quick accents and riding crashes.

The Bash Ride is a silly name. It's described as a "crash ride" version of the RBDR. I describe it a multi-use cymbal with a great bell!

I use my 19 as a light ride when needed, my 21 as a crash, ride the bell on the 20. I don't care if it isn't a ride or crash. If it fits I'll use it.

If Paiste Big Beats were a bit darker, they would be perfect for me. Maybe another 10 years down the road the cymbal makers will catch on.

C.M. Jones

I've had all but the hats for a few years now, and now Sabian has a bunch of AAXs listed by weight range. Looks like they are moving more towards universal. Still listing them as crashes and rides, but its a start. The Xplosions are still nice for quick accents and riding crashes.

I use my 19 as a light ride when needed, my 21 as a crash, ride the bell on the 20. I don't care if it isn't a ride or crash. If it fits I'll use it.

If Paiste Big Beats were a bit darker, they would be perfect for me. Maybe another 10 years down the road the cymbal makers will catch on.

I do like Big Beats more than regular 2002s, but Giant Beats are my favorite Paiste creations. I've never owned them, but I have been tempted.

I've never owned anything by Sabian either, but I approve of lots of their stuff too. I've been with Zildjian forever. Making a change at this point is unlikely.

belairien

Silver Member
I do like Big Beats more than regular 2002s, but Giant Beats are my favorite Paiste creations. I've never owned them, but I have been tempted.

I've never owned anything by Sabian either, but I approve of lots of their stuff too. I've been with Zildjian forever. Making a change at this point is unlikely.
I started on Sabian, got a killer deal on some old As and Ks that I slowly sold off for more, and pulled in some Paiste. Really liked my Twenty series ride, except the stick definition was lacking.

Back to square one now, but my handful of pies sounds better than the giant pack of B8 I started on. Covers more ground too.

Sakae2xBopster

I picked up a Dream Bliss 22 Gorilla a few weeks ago in a Black Friday sale. 3528 grams (nearly 8 pounds). Good thing my cymbal bag has wheels! The thing is a monster, but it sounds soooo interesting. I never thought I would deviate from my Zildjians. But a compelling price and a desire to reach outside my comfort zone resulted in this new acquisition. Time will tell if I can make it work.

belairien

Silver Member
I picked up a Dream Bliss 22 Gorilla a few weeks ago in a Black Friday sale. 3528 grams (nearly 8 pounds). Good thing my cymbal bag has wheels! The thing is a monster, but it sounds soooo interesting. I never thought I would deviate from my Zildjians. But a compelling price and a desire to reach outside my comfort zone resulted in this new acquisition. Time will tell if I can make it work.
Well if you need ping! :LOL:

Depending on your play style, odd and interesting cymbals are a good way to spice up a song.

There was a time when I was playing with three rides in a metal band. A heavy pingy ride, a medium, and a light. Blasts and breakdowns got interesting.

Justinhub2003

I haven’t owned a zildjian cymbal since I was maybe 22 and I’m 36 now.

I have no beef with them it’s just all my drummer friends played them. They are the most widely available at guitar center.

I always wanted to play something different. So for me it started with Paiste because my 3 favorite drummers played and I wanted them more because they were harder to get. My stores in cincy carried nothing but low end stuff.

Once I got high end Paiste’s, then I got a taste for dark cymbals and went all in on meinl.

Now I have a a lot of Meinl cymbals but still also enough Paiste cymbals for a full setup. I still love the dark energy stuff. But I’ve moved on from 2002

Last edited: