No logos, stickers, or duct tape!

Chollyred

Was given a DW vented reso that sounds great on my 22" PDP CX kick, but it had some obnoxious stickers an duct tape on it. Soaked it down in Goof Off, and with a lot of elbow grease, managed to get it all off. Since a lot of drummers poo poo having a DW logo on a different brand, took those off too!

A nice clean look!20200312_092908(1).jpg

I'll get some of that Goof Off and keep it handy. I removed my kick drum patch and found some glue residue leftover from a previous patch which was affecting the sound. I used soap and water to scrub it off but it took forever.

Acetone is wonderful for removing logos from kick drum heads. It takes seconds and not minutes, too. Wipe down the surface with Windex afterwards and you would never know anything was there.

The head you see in this photo is a retail part. I wiped off the Remo logo using acetone, cut the hole and added a Yamaha sticker to the head. Looks pretty good to me (y)

20191227_171456.jpg

hmmm...anytime I use acetone, it melts the plastic of the head...I use Goof off...maybe too much?

Mineral Spirits are also VERY good.

hmmm...anytime I use acetone, it melts the plastic of the head...I use Goof off...maybe too much?

Hmm... I've never had an issue with it whether it's on OEM heads or ones I buy at the store. I just dampen a rag and begin wiping. The ink disappears within seconds. The whole operation should take 30 seconds or less.

That said, if you have something that works then by all means, stick to it.

Last edited:
Anyone that uses regular duct tape on a kick reso should be flogged! That was the hardest thing to remove. Had to get the top finish layer with the nylon threads off before the Goof Off would dissolve the Adhesive.

Use goof off to get the adhesive leftover from stickers off the head. To get logo ink off, you must use an acetone based liquid. Maybe straight acetone is just too strong. I've been using nail polish remover that contains acetone in it, and that works very well. It might take a bit longer, but at least you're not melting plastic!

No to hijack but this is related:

Can anyone suggest how to get a logo off a coated head without removing the coating or causing a black smear on the coating? I'm using the stock logo reso on my pearl midtown kit but besides that one single head I am a 100% Evans purist and it drives me nuts to see that Remo logo at the bottom every time I look at my drums from the front. I have a perfectly good reso head with the pearl logo so I'd rather not buy a custom head or a new plain coated head and a decal.

No to hijack but this is related:

Can anyone suggest how to get a logo off a coated head without removing the coating or causing a black smear on the coating? I'm using the stock logo reso on my pearl midtown kit but besides that one single head I am a 100% Evans purist and it drives me nuts to see that Remo logo at the bottom every time I look at my drums from the front. I have a perfectly good reso head with the pearl logo so I'd rather not buy a custom head or a new plain coated head and a decal.
There’s nothing that will remove ink from a coated head. The only way is to get a smooth white Evans head and wither apply a Pearl logo (easy) or go sans-logo.

Ahhh, the age old game of "What solvent will remove the crap but leave the blah undamaged?". I used to have a handy chart that began with water and ended with acetone.. Something like....

Water
isopropyl
denatured
naphtha
ether
acetone

It had a few additional entries, I think there were a couple other hydrocarbons like gasoline and kerosene, and was listed in the least->most likely to cause damage.

@ OP -- Good job on that reso.

Is it just me or is the DW logo still visible in that first photo? The picture is pretty shaky and out of focus so a little hard to tell.

It looks faded but not erased...

Is it just me or is the DW logo still visible in that first photo? The picture is pretty shaky and out of focus so a little hard to tell.

It looks faded but not erased...

Good eye! Apparently whatever they printed the logo with took a slight bit of gloss off of the head. So far, it hasn't come off with the Goof Off (will keep trying). Most people would never notice. the light has to be just so to see it. I think the reflection from outside made it appear a little more. Either way, it still looks much better than before. I wish I had taken a before pic for comparison.

Good eye! Apparently whatever they printed the logo with took a slight bit of gloss off of the head. So far, it hasn't come off with the Goof Off (will keep trying). Most people would never notice. the light has to be just so to see it. I think the reflection from outside made it appear a little more. Either way, it still looks much better than before. I wish I had taken a before pic for comparison.

The final result is what counts and it looks good from here. Enjoy!

Back