Nitro/hydraulic throne longevity

MikeM

Platinum Member
I got a Roc N Soc throne for xmas. It's the spindle variety, but I was kind of hoping for a Nitro. However, the guy at the drum shop told my wife that they had issues staying charged and might not last a year.

Is this true? Anyone with one of these things have issues?

I've had mine for over 4 years with no problem. My only regret is not getting the tripod version. The "Lunar" model that I have has five feet in a desk chair base configuration. It's less portable than the collapsible tripod version and doesn't like the occasional uneven stage floor.

All in all though, a very comfy throne. You will love it.

Lately I have noticed that my nitro roc n soc rises all the way back up when not in use. Still a good throne though.

I got a Roc N Soc throne for xmas. It's the spindle variety, but I was kind of hoping for a Nitro. However, the guy at the drum shop told my wife that they had issues staying charged and might not last a year.

I have owned mine for about five years now and have not had any issues with the gas cylinder. I also don't have any issues with the seat rising to full height after getting up (there is a little rise, but is sorts itself out when I sit back down). I concur with the comment about the Lunar base, that is kind of a pain having to transport it in one piece. But overall, I love it; it's solved a number of posture and back issues I had playing from a traditional non-hydraulic round throne. Hope you enjoy yours.

I have a hydraulic throne that's 24 years old and still going strong. It's not made by roc n soc, matter of fact I don't even remember who the manufacturer is but I've had ZERO problems with it. Hydraulic bases are easier on the back then screw drives ;-) Out of curiosity did the guy have a nitro in stock? If not might have been why he pushed your wife to the screw base

My RocNSoc tractor seat tripod based nitro failed on me midsong, it was maybe 3 years old. I weighed about 230 at the time. I got a spindle from then on, but I do miss the bounce. I still have it in my studio for the guitarists to sit on, but don't gig w/ it anymore.

I've had mine for over 4 years with no problem. My only regret is not getting the tripod version. The "Lunar" model that I have has five feet in a desk chair base configuration. It's less portable than the collapsible tripod version and doesn't like the occasional uneven stage floor.

I remember in what you would call "Shop class" in "high school" the teacher was telling us about the way having 3 legs is the best idea because it's impossible to have a leg that is floating above the floor. He's a bit of a prat though.

Interestingly i also got a roc n soc throne with a screw in stand 4 chrimbo too lol. I wanted the nitro base but they didn't have one in stock. In fact they didn't have much in stock really. I'm just wondering what people mean by a nitro base being better on your back? How so?

I say your weight has an effect on the pressure in the cylinder and hence the stress on the seal. If you weigh a buck 45 you can expect the seal to last longer than if you weigh 250.

There is bounce/compression going on, the seal is getting stressed every time you bounce. I wouldn't spend the money, sooner or later the seal is going to fail.

I remember in what you would call "Shop class" in "high school" the teacher was telling us about the way having 3 legs is the best idea because it's impossible to have a leg that is floating above the floor. He's a bit of a prat though.

Interestingly i also got a roc n soc throne with a screw in stand 4 chrimbo too lol. I wanted the nitro base but they didn't have one in stock. In fact they didn't have much in stock really. I'm just wondering what people mean by a nitro base being better on your back? How so?

The gas or nitro thrones have a bounce/give to them so it's not as rigid so it helps relieve pressure on your back that you can get bouncing around on a solid screw base that has no give to it..

That guy is an idiot. Nitrogen in a sealed chamber is pressurized, not "charged," so it can't lose a charge and certainly doesn't lose pressure with use. Breaking it is incredible hard. Long term pressure of a person sitting on it wouldn't do it. You would need to rapidly apply a lot more weight than the average person to blow the shock. I've had one for 3 years and it works just as well now as the day I bought it.

The gas or nitro thrones have a bounce/give to them so it's not as rigid so it helps relieve pressure on your back that you can get bouncing around on a solid screw base that has no give to it..
I have bulging discs and arthritis in my lower back and have never had a problem with a spindle throne. The only thing you need is a good seat.

I have bulging discs and arthritis in my lower back and have never had a problem with a spindle throne. The only thing you need is a good seat.

I notice a difference in feel after playing for an hour on a Roc N Soc spindle throne we have at church and my hydraulic throne at home. The spindle one my back feels fatigue quicker. Both have the identical roc n soc motorcycle style seat.

I notice a difference in feel after playing for an hour on a Roc N Soc spindle throne we have at church and my hydraulic throne at home. The spindle one my back feels fatigue quicker. Both have the identical roc n soc motorcycle style seat.
That's weird, because I've never felt that. I don't get fatigue as much as I get pain, so I'm judging it differently.

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to do an exchange and get the Nitro.

I adjust my seat up and down regularly, never leaving it in one spot too long, which is why I was thinking Nitro. I also liked the "bounce" the one time I played a gig on one.
There is bounce/compression going on, the seal is getting stressed every time you bounce. I wouldn't spend the money, sooner or later the seal is going to fail.
I can see this happening and accept the risk.
My RocNSoc tractor seat tripod based nitro failed on me midsong, it was maybe 3 years old.
If it does fail, I hope to avoid this scenario!

Don't worry. He has no idea what he's talking about. Gas compression shocks are built to last. In order for a chamber to be pressurized it has to be airtight, so the only way to break it is to damage the metal chamber. That takes a lot of weight in one burst, not a human's weight over time.

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to do an exchange and get the Nitro.

I adjust my seat up and down regularly, never leaving it in one spot too long, which is why I was thinking Nitro. I also liked the "bounce" the one time I played a gig on one.
I can see this happening and accept the risk.
If it does fail, I hope to avoid this scenario!

Accept the risk, its going to fail one day and you'll be left with a practically useless throne,
I've seen many.

The more you use it, the more you increase the chance of failure, its the nature of the design.

I've yet to see an older, well used hydraulic throne working at an acceptable efficiency rate, they're all either dogged out, frozen, or completely dead, its just a matter of time.

Back