Nintendo Switch Lite

roncadillac

I just turned 33 a couple weeks ago and for my birthday my awesome wife surprised me with a Nintendo Switch Lite!

I've been a gamer literally my whole life, I grew up playing pc and console games with my friends and my parents and still to this day is an enjoyable way for me to de-stress (outside of playing drums of course!). I haven't had a new console since the Xbox 360 came out and I've still been rocking that to this day haha. I have been eyeing a switch for over a year but when I get extra money to 'blow' it typically goes to drum related expenses or something fun for the wife and I. We really enjoy kayaking together and she wanted a tandem, I ended up finding a great deal locally on a barely used Ocean Kayak tandem and got that for her birthday a few months ago so she told me she really wanted to get me something that I would absolutely enjoy. My in-laws also got me a gift card to snag a game.

Now that I'm in my 30s I still play games frequently but I don't always have a few hours to 'session' a game nor do I want to always hog up a big TV. The switch allows me to fire off a quick thirty if that's all I've got but still has session playability. If I wake up early on a Sunday but don't want to be loud and disrupt the house I can play an hour with headphones. If I get home a little early I can get some play time without huge commitment. I'm pumped! I realized this is now my sixth Nintendo system in my life. During my childhood I had a Gameboy color then Gameboy advance, also a Nintendo 64. In my early teens I had an SP, that compact clamshell design was cool, then shortly after a DS. I know the regular switch is cool and can run through a TV but I play pretty much exclusively by myself and wanted a handheld for all the reasons mentioned above.

I just wanted to share some excitement from an aging gamer and lucky husband, if you are still reading then I appreciate you as well.

Back to the drum talk.

And switch playing.

IMG_20220924_155955156.jpg

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
That's awesome! Born in the 70s here, still remember when Atari was a new thing. Currently have a Xbox 360 and NES/SNES console.

I'm after an old school Gameboy to play Tetris on. I'd also like a Wii. My wife might play too if I had one. She doesnt like gaming, but tolerates the hell out of it.

roncadillac

That's awesome! Born in the 70s here, still remember when Atari was a new thing. Currently have a Xbox 360 and NES/SNES console.

I'm after an old school Gameboy to play Tetris on. I'd also like a Wii. My wife might play too if I had one. She doesnt like gaming, but tolerates the hell out of it.
I downloaded the "Pizza Boy Basic" free app from the Google store on my android phone then downloaded a bunch of free roms from vimm.net (make sure you are looking under the 'game boy' or 'game boy color' section or the roms will not work with this version of pizza boy. I have downloaded over 100 different games and not a single one has had a virus or been a spam file and the pizza boy app is clean as a whistle as well, doesn't even have ads. I know it doesn't have the same nostalgia as holding the actual Gameboy in your hand but you could literally be playing the game on your phone within minutes reading this absolutely free. I'm currently playing Pokemon crystal on my phone when I'm on break or lunch at work.

My wife is also super chill about my gaming because I always make sure I go to work, pay bills, and take care of my responsibilities. She likes to play side scrolling fighting games like Mortal Kombat and low key racing games like Mario Kart.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
My wife is also super chill about my gaming because I always make sure I go to work, pay bills, and take care of my responsibilities. She likes to play side scrolling fighting games like Mortal Kombat and low key racing games like Mario Kart.
My wife actually said if I got a Street Fighter type game she would play. The used game store I go to hasnt had any since.

My kid and I try to get her to play Call of Duty with us. Been trying for years now.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Me and the kids are having a great time playing the Oculus/Meta. I’ve been playing Resident Evil 4 for about a month, it’s SOOO much scarier in VR than on a television screen. Seriously. You can’t imagine. I have trauma around severe physical abuse, and the game triggers the crap out of that. It’s a real growth opportunity

JimmyM

Platinum Member
Glad I have no use for video games. Saves me a ton of money and time I can waste on the internet instead ;)

calan

Silver Member
Glad I have no use for video games. Saves me a ton of money and time I can waste on the internet instead ;)
You can do both at the same time!

It’s a surprisingly cost effective from of entertainment given how many hours you can get out of a game, and better for brain health than many alternatives.

Of course, there are also people that just buy games and hardly play them, or consume them in such a way that there are other potential detriments,

Hellwyck

Mate I'm 45 and still play video games. I started with the Atari VCS (later became the 2600 in 1982) and Commodore VIC=20 and still love old school gaming.

Hellwyck

Emulators are your friends.

iCe

Silver Member
Your 360 is till doing fine? :oops:
My trusty 360 has been retired a long time ago when it wouldn't read the dvd's anymore. Have a Xbox One since then and that has been replaced with a Xbox X now. Which ionically hasn't seen much use since i bought it for Dying Light 2 and it has all this weird glitches and doesn't have on the Xbox One (ok, graphics and load time on the X are superb, but i don't like falling off buildings due to texture issues... yeah i know, this is turning into a rant).

I find it hilarious that GTA is available on a Nintendo console. When i think Nintendo i think games about savings kingdoms with my mushroom friends, not ravaging kingdoms while under the influence of mushrooms). I had a SNES too and love i dearly. Also have the mini and the NES mini. Great time to be alive!

Gaming is my relaxation after a hard days word, so i wish you a lot of happy hours with your new console!

roncadillac

It's cool to see the general support for games especially from our members who seem to be in the general 'middle age' group I fall into! I've been playing along with GTA 3 in my spare time, I may pick up something a bit more light hearted like Mario Kart (not only for my interest but my wife requested this as well, she loves the more modern 3d Mario off shoot games) to play before I switch over to vice city once I'm done with this. I'm all about perceived value in games, I grew up with and always loved the GTA franchise so the definitive edition remaster with 3, Vice City, and San Andreas all in one pack was a must buy for me and it was on sale at the time for $50 so that was a no brainer. My mom paid $50 for each of these games when I was a kid haha.