Nights in White Satin

rtliquid

I recently joined a 60s/70s/British Invasion cover band, and I've come to realize that my current ride cymbals don't fit. I need something with a little more wash that can also be crashed. I think ideally what I'm looking for is whatever was used in Moody Blues' "Nights in White Satin." Anybody know what that ride was, or can recommend something that would fit the bill? thx.

well it was 60s'. So likely either a 60's vintage A Zildjian (which apparently were thinner then ) or a pre-serial# Paiste 602.

I just got an old 60's A Zildjian ride (late 60's but made in Canada at the Meductic factory) weighing in at only 1984 grams. It's awesome as crash and ride. Love this cymbal right now.

Maybe try a used 60's Zildjian A, but one of the lighter ones.

You'd also need mallets for that tune

Open is right, I own a Zildjian A Zildjian 20" Crash ride from the 60's it is thinner and has a more soft feel, really great glassy full not too loud crash it and make a very nice washy light ride, Its very very light. 1,660 grams, Lightest I've ever seen.

I'm in a similar type band. I'm using a 20" Sabian ISO crash as a crash ride. We play pretty soft. In that setting I like it pretty good. I'm using a 18" K dark crash with it. I have a late 60's ride that is pretty heavy. I Don't know what it weighs though, and it is a terrible crash.

I just got an old 60's A Zildjian ride (late 60's but made in Canada at the Meductic factory) weighing in at only 1984 grams. It's awesome as crash and ride. Love this cymbal right now.

I second the vote on a 60's A Zildjian ride. I also have one I'm really digging and will probably keep for life. At 1800g it is both an amazing crash and ride that works for everything.

Thanks for the input, guys. Back in the 70's I had a used Zildjian 20" ride, but I recall that also being too heavy. Did they make them specifically designated as "crash/ride" or with the weights imprinted on them? I just don't recall.

Well...Its the 60's they were alot thinner, but in both the 60's and 70's they made 20"'s and the weight could vairy from 1,800 grams to 2,600 grams, so HUGE Difference's so when buying its very important to ask for the seller to weigh it and tell you how much it weighs,

The heavier the cymbal the more ping it will have but it loses crashabiliy,
The lighter the cymbal the more wash it will have but the more crashabillity it will have.
E.G mine, Its 1,660 grams very very very light, has a huge beautiful mellow crash, but makes a very washy ride. I'd say go for one that's in between 1,800 grams to 2,200 grams.

Hi,
Our band plays this tune every night. I use my current 20" K Custom Ride. I use my hats on versus and ride it on the flute solo. On the "cause I love you" section I will wash ride it. Works fine.

Back