Nick Mason

When I was 9, when I first discovered Pink Floyd, I got very atracted to Nick Mason's drums. I suddently wanted to also play drums, and that's how the story began for me.

He is surely one of my biggest inspirations still today. He might not be the best drummer, but he definitively has skills. He is unique at the same time and inspiring.

I'm looking forward to seeing Roger Waters for the first time next week :)

Apart from the overall experience, I'm looking forward to seeing whoever is drumming, doing Nick's parts. I'm sure it will be first class!

Anyone seen, any comments?

Last edited:
When I was 9, when I first discovered Pink Floyd, I got very atracted to Nick Mason's drums. I suddently wanted to also play drums, and that's how the story began for me.

He is surely one of my biggest inspirations still today. He might not be the best drummer, but he definitively has skills. He is unique at the same time and inspiring.

There are some videos of his new band doing early floyd on youtube and he is still great :)

My bro-in-law works at a Philadelphia radio station. Through that, I got to meet him once when he was working with Rick Fenn. Great guy & cooler than Santa Claus. Talked drums for a bit & he told me how he tries to relax behind the kit. Got his autograph and life was good.

Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets Announce Concert Film ‘Live at the Roundhouse’

I love that at this stage of his career, Nick seems to have legitimately rediscovered his love of drumming, and that he was able to put on such a universally well-received show.
That is a very good observation, ‘Hive. Definitely looked like he was having a good time.

I was wondering if anyone else missed the snare double hits on Fearless though? Lol.... I kept waiting for at least one but it never came!

I was wondering if anyone else missed the snare double hits on Fearless though? Lol.... I kept waiting for at least one but it never came!

Shows just how dedicated he is to stripping away anything he deems not absolutely essential. "I hit the snare how many times originally? 2161 times? Well, that's one too many, isn't it? Right, I'll fix that."

My bro-in-law works at a Philadelphia radio station. Through that, I got to meet him once when he was working with Rick Fenn. Great guy & cooler than Santa Claus. Talked drums for a bit & he told me how he tries to relax behind the kit. Got his autograph and life was good.
Can you remember what he said about relaxing behind the kit out of interest?

Can you remember what he said about relaxing behind the kit out of interest?
I asked my brother about it and he remembered Nick talking about knowing the material really well helps him concentrate on playing his instrument well.
As a drummer, he's spot on about that as when I know the songs, it's one less thing I have to be concerned about.
A very humble guy for sure.

I'm not as big a Pink Floyd fan as most people, but I do like "The Dark Side of the Moon" album. But question for the Nick Mason fans: did he ever play or record his double basses? He's always pictured with two bass drums, but I don't recall ever hearing him play them. Was there something obscure he used them on? Just wondering when I found this old picture:

Pink-Floyd-web.jpg

I'm not as big a Pink Floyd fan as most people, but I do like "The Dark Side of the Moon" album. But question for the Nick Mason fans: did he ever play or record his double basses? He's always pictured with two bass drums, but I don't recall ever hearing him play them. Was there something obscure he used them on? Just wondering when I found this old picture:

View attachment 112652
That's a great photo! Nick certainly had a great influence on progressive rock, although I don't remember him being known for playing double bass. More finesse and jazz influenced than hard rock DB style I'd say.
EDIT: I love the t-shirt and tie!

I still get the impression that it was more of a live thing with him. I can’t really think of any double bass licks on an album, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if somebody offers up contrary evidence.

Related, the Pompeii DVD, maybe even that particular song, brought me around to really appreciating Nick Mason.

Funny(ish) story about that particular clip: the reels containing the film from the other cameras got lost, which is why it's almost entirely shots of Mason doing his thing.

Related, the Pompeii DVD, maybe even that particular song, brought me around to really appreciating Nick Mason.
It's definitely one of the things which did it for me, too. For a few reasons, I actually went 15 years without listening to virtually anything I'd listened to in high school or college—I mean, I literally didn't listen to an entire Who or Stones or Zeppelin or, yes, Floyd song for a decade and a half. And when you take a break that long, hokey smokes does "Free Bird" or "Stairway to Heaven" or "Sympathy for the Devil" or "Won't Get Fooled Again" or pretty much the entire Pink Floyd oeuvre hit like a ton of bricks.

And I really appreciated just how well Nick Mason played for the song. Sure, he had nowhere near the chops of a Bruford or Collins or Palmer but damn the guy had a style and he had musicality and he had restraint. And he changed over the years--his playing on Animals or The Wall sounds virtually nothing like his playing on Atom Heart Mother or Meddle, and yet it all still feels like him.

Back