NFUZD

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
New at NAMM was a new electronic drum company from KHS. Essentially, these are Mapex e-drums, without the Mapex name (presumably to attract endorsers who may endorse other brands of acoustic drums or perhaps to avoid the bad reputation Mapex gotten via a certain person up north).

This new brand takes on several factors that have made me swear off of e-drums:

Pads come in real drum sizes (10, 12, 13, 14, 16) so you can have the spacing of a real kit.

Pads can simply be laid on top of an existing drum set if you prefer.

The module isn't full of overly compressed drum tones. It actually has a version of BFD in the module. So now we're talking the some quality of sounds as on a VST software package being available on a module. And editable on your computer.

The key part is because the pads are designed to be use with uncompressed samples of real drums, the pads allow for better dynamics and articulation than possible with the Roland or Yamaha pads. Cross stick, rim shots, natural pitch bends all are much more realistic.

I only played them briefly, but it was quite simply the most realistic electronic replication of an acoustic drum I've come across yet. Yes, it's still an e-drum and isn't a 100% replacement, but it's closer than before.

The company has hired away a key Yamaha e-drum employee, and I've been told Johnny Raab has already signed on as an endorser, which can be confirmed on his facebook account: https://www.facebook.com/johnnyrabbdrums

I have no idea what the price point will be, but I can say, Roland and Yamaha, you just got served.

http://www.musicradar.com/us/news/drums/namm-2015-khs-unveils-nfuzd-audio-e-drums-614975

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHpCfAMkT2Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxSGzS1sgsM

spides666

but I can say, Roland and Yamaha, you just got served.
Served where? Roland and Yamaha will not give a hoot about this...

NFUZD have said themselves they want to bridge the gap between electronic and acoustic drums and they do this by giving different toms sizes!!! (give me a break)

Why does it still look like a kit off Rockband?

They are entering a saturated market led by two multi million dollar companies....

I wish them well but Roland and Yamaha will be sleeping just fine!!!

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I wish them well but Roland and Yamaha will be sleeping just fine!!!
Maybe.

Yamaha lost their key guy behind the scenes who was making DTX a thing to NFUZD, and are folding the electronic drum department back into their acoustic drum department (although I never quite understood why Yamaha made it two different departments).

Roland seems to have given up on the high end market and seems content to keep pushing low and mid-line e-kits to the masses (granted, that is a bigger market segment). Roland hasn't done anything innovative with e-drums a long time.

For the drummers who are doing home/studio recordings with e-drums, NFUZD is a better product out of the box, but granted, that's a limited market.

I agree they do look a bit like a rockband kit. And another friend say he had concerns about the pads durability. And I have no idea where they'll be priced at, and that will have a huge impact on if they take off or not.

Either way, it's a better alternative than the Pearl E-pro garbage (of which was absent from the Pearl booth).

spides666

Either way, it's a better alternative than the Pearl E-pro garbage (of which was absent from the Pearl booth).
Yep you are hitting the nail on the head here.........worst edrum product for a long long time

Roland seems to have given up on the high end market and seems content to keep pushing low and mid-line e-kits to the masses
Agree here too, but that is also because people are just not prepared to pay what $7k to $8k or so for a top of the range electronic kit and I can't blame them.

I own a TD-30 module, but I would never in a million years pay for all the pads etc. Madness. I ended up buying a Hart Dynamics kit and run my TD-30 through that. (both bought second hand by the way)

One thing I cannot get my head around is why no electronic company is even attempting to make the cymbals look like acoustic cymbals.

Hart Dynamics did a pretty good job until they became no more. But Roland, buying a CY-15 Ride is insanely expensive as is the cy-12h hi-hats etc

They are just pricing themselves out of the market