Next Biographical Film of Musical Artist?

Macarina

Silver Member
So Bohemian Rhapsody hit it out of the park for entertaining us with Freddie Mercury and Queen in life and music.

The Dirt was fun to watch with the rise of Motley Crue.

I’m pretty excited about Rocket Man. I’m hoping it plays out well on the screen.

We all know the studios are now going to jump on the music biography bandwagon and hopefully some of them will deliver some truly entertaining films.

I can think of a number I’d like to see...

Who or which group would you like to see brought to the screen?

I'm thinking Bowie or Prince.

Dirt was entertaining.

Cream would have to be Rated R for drug use alone, never mind Baker's personality.

Kurt Cobain, of course.
There were rumours quite strong around Jeff Buckley also. 3>

Metallica would be a great band to make a biography on, for their history is quite full.
Recently gone Michael Jackson or Amy Winehouse could be great.

Sam Cooke. (Oh, it seems one is in production).

Otis Redding.

John Coltrane.

The biggest problem as I see it is that a lot of these documentaries aren't big sellers and don't make the video scene. Try looking on Youtube. They have some full length videos on there and I bet some are doc/rockumentaries.

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Danny Gatton

Max Roach

Bernhard

Black Sabbath

So many different iterations of the band, Ozzy's downfall and return to greatness, the forging of a whole new genre, this is what good stories are made of. They could call the movie "After Forever". It could even have a happy ending with the reunion tour.

Yeah, totally Black Sabbath. Come on Hollywood, make this happen.

Yes would be cool.

I'd have to think Led Zeplin.

As a highly popular iconic band, the movie would sell millions of tickets on the name alone.

It could be interesting, as following Jimmy Page from studio musician to starting an original band, the brief involvement of Keith Moon, and how they rose to extreme popularity despite routinely being hated by critics, being hated (early on anyway) by the press and generally not having "hit: songs (Stairway was never an official single).

Though I think I'd rather see:

Pink Floyd, though it would be hard to pull off without making it a very dark and depressing movie.

Jefferson Airplane I can see Hugh Jackman playing Marty Balin and Jim Parsons playing Paul Katner.

Feelwood Mac could be pretty epic.

Amazon Prime has a great documentary with Marty Balin, and there is also one on the making of Rumors. If you dont have Prime check Youtube.

I guess it would need to based on an artist(s) that would have a wide appeal to make it a success at the box office.

Plus it would need to be based on a background story that would contain great entertaining fodder for the public......such as flamboyant personalities, lots of known in-house fighting, the struggle for success, and also being very well known even today...etc etc.

Having the artist(s) no longer alive also would add a great deal of appeal to the public.

So possibly some potentials could be:

The Who
Led Zeppelin
The Beach Boys
Buddy Rich
ACDC

Amazon Prime has a great documentary with Marty Balin, and there is also one on the making of Rumors. If you dont have Prime check Youtube.

Well, the thread is about Hollywood stye movies, not documentaries.

I did check out the Balin doc on Amazon. It's s shame it doesn't go particularly in depth. He comes off a bit of a grumpy old man, in stark contrast the interview he gave for the 2004 DVD "Fly Jefferson Airplane" where he had nothing but nice things to say about his former bandmates.

I've seen the Rumors one before, hence, why it would make a good movie.

I guess it would need to based on an artist(s) that would have a wide appeal to make it a success at the box office.

Plus it would need to be based on a background story that would contain great entertaining fodder for the public......such as flamboyant personalities, lots of known in-house fighting

So the Kinks, then. :)

Back