Next Biographical Film of Musical Artist?

benthedrum

I think in terms of drumming..... Buddy Rich would be a winner.

He was the highest paid child performer in the world at one point, he was friends with Frank Sinatra for a time. He was a big personality, he was well known even to non-drumming folks. He was generally more famous than the bands he was in. He was good friends with Johnny Carson.

I believe a film about him would be a good success.

I guess casting someone to play him would be a bit of a pickle.

I wonder who it would be?

I guess it would need to based on an artist(s) that would have a wide appeal to make it a success at the box office.

Plus it would need to be based on a background story that would contain great entertaining fodder for the public......such as flamboyant personalities, lots of known in-house fighting, the struggle for success, and also being very well known even today...etc etc.

Having the artist(s) no longer alive also would add a great deal of appeal to the public.

So possibly some potentials could be:

The Who
Led Zeppelin
The Beach Boys
Buddy Rich
ACDC

The Momma's and the Pappa's: Lots of inter-romances, cheating managers, break ups, and pioneers in combining rock and folk music.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Well, the thread is about Hollywood stye movies, not documentaries.

I did check out the Balin doc on Amazon. It's s shame it doesn't go particularly in depth. He comes off a bit of a grumpy old man, in stark contrast the interview he gave for the 2004 DVD "Fly Jefferson Airplane" where he had nothing but nice things to say about his former bandmates.

I've seen the Rumors one before, hence, why it would make a good movie.
True, but for my money with the documentary, I don't have to worry about them being "hollywoodized"

benthedrum

The more I think about this.......I truly believe that a Led Zeppelin film is going to happen. It's cool to imagine this.....

The screen is dark

Suddenly the opening riff to Whole Lotta Love fills the cinema

Then the screen goes into a fog and the silhouette of the 4 band members starts to come into focus

Man....that would be an AWESOME intro.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Did anyone see the documentary on Chicago Transit Authority (produced by the band)?

They get to the part where they fire Dan Seraphine, and he’s flummoxed. A couple of the other guys are too, then their new producer is on-screen and says Dan wasn’t tight to a click and he hired Tris Imboden. Every drummer on the planet knows that’s BS.

The next cut is a few tunes from their mushy ballad era, and the lead singer is Rober Lamm (keyboards). Then the producer is on-screen again, sitting at a piano in front of a few dozen Grammy trophies and says, “Yeah, I changed their sound, and they sold more records than ever and won more Grammies than ever. Yeah. That’s what I do.”

Their best music died with Terry Kath.

Black Sabbath
I’d watch a docu on Black Sabbath, but they’d better include info on Ward’s personal struggles. Otherwise, it’d be just another puff piece.

Ghostin one

Rocket Man was great, I thought. It starts out with Elton confronting his personal problems, much different than Bohemian Rhapsody, which struck me as kind of shallow.

There was Marvin Gaye movie made, but it looks like it will never be released.

Quickly off the top of my head .......

Led Zeppelin
AC/DC
The Allman Brothers
Zappa
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Janice Joplin
Ted Nugent
Alice Cooper
KISS
Billy Joel

benthedrum

Rocket Man was great, I thought. It starts out with Elton confronting his personal problems, much different than Bohemian Rhapsody, which struck me as kind of shallow.
I think it is futile to compare Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman in terms of subject matter as they are two completely different men with different backgrounds. Therefore the movies will be completely different.

However, I do believe that there can be comparisons in terms of the movies themselves...such as lighting, editing, effects, acting etc etc.

My honest opinion?

Bohemian Rhapsody is a far FAR superior movie than Rocketman.

I think Freddy was the more difficult character to "be". His mannerisms, singing with prosthetic teeth.....Rami Malek nailed it well.

Taron Edgerton was amazing as Elton John BTW.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I did not care for Rocketman one bit. It was a true musical, meaning they break into song at wacky places, which I don't particularly care for.

There was one scene where Elton had a party at his house, and during it he took a bunch of pills and booze and tried suicide by drowning himself in his swimming pool, in front of all his guests. As he's sinking, he sees himself, only at age 9 or so, at the bottom of the pool, playing a kid sized piano. So this is where they decided to put a song in. He's singing to his 9 YO self at the bottom of the pool, while adult Elton is sinking underwater, during a suicide attempt. Really bad scene. You can't sing underwater!

BR was way better by a mile to me.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I think it is futile to compare Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman in terms of subject matter as they are two completely different men with different backgrounds. Therefore the movies will be completely different.

However, I do believe that there can be comparisons in terms of the movies themselves...such as lighting, editing, effects, acting etc etc.

My honest opinion?

Bohemian Rhapsody is a far FAR superior movie than Rocketman.

I think Freddy was the more difficult character to "be". His mannerisms, singing with prosthetic teeth.....Rami Malek nailed it well.

Taron Edgerton was amazing as Elton John BTW.
True, but most of the singing was dubbed so the teeth didn't really make a difference. (spoiler)

benthedrum

True, but most of the singing was dubbed so the teeth didn't really make a difference. (spoiler)
Hmmm, fair point GD.

But even just his talking parts with those damn teeth was amazing........I don't think I've ever watched a movie so many times other than the Star Wars movies.

benthedrum

I did not care for Rocketman one bit. It was a true musical, meaning they break into song at wacky places, which I don't particularly care for.

There was one scene where Elton had a party at his house, and during it he took a bunch of pills and booze and tried suicide by drowning himself in his swimming pool, in front of all his guests. As he's sinking, he sees himself, only at age 9 or so, at the bottom of the pool, playing a kid sized piano. So this is where they decided to put a song in. He's singing to his 9 YO self at the bottom of the pool, while adult Elton is sinking underwater, during a suicide attempt. Really bad scene. You can't sing underwater!

BR was way better by a mile to me.
I'm hearing you Uncle Larry.

As soon as that first musical break came up......my girlfriend and I looked at each other and rolled our eyes.

It was such a shame in my opinion, it would have been an incredible movie if not for that.

It was hard to take it seriously after that.

But I don't want to add anything else about it as there are members who probably haven't seen it yet.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I heard on the radio yesterday that the next movie is gonna be about Boy George. They weren't joking either. Don't know how true this is, but that's what I heard. Makes sense, English, gay, substance abuse issues. Is this the new formula?

benthedrum

I heard on the radio yesterday that the next movie is gonna be about Boy George. They weren't joking either. Don't know how true this is, but that's what I heard. Makes sense, English, gay, substance abuse issues. Is this the new formula?
If so.....then George Michael is a sure fire winner after Boy George.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
True.......at least according to what I've read it is......including commentary from George himself.

No idea why. Don't get it personally. But then again I was there when that lot originally unfolded so I'm obviously missing something.

I came to the conclusion a while ago that popular culture's recent obsession with the 80's can only have stemmed from the fact that none of them lived through it first time round. Anyone who did would surely be in no hurry to bring it back and endure it twice!. Sure there were some diamonds in the rough.......but there were some vast black holes that accompanied the decade as well.

Personally I was rapt to see the Queen and Elton movies shift the focus back a decade. Musically speaking, I was hoping it might stay there a little longer......alas!! :)

Macarina

Silver Member

Thus the ‘bandwagon’ I was speaking about.

Twakeshima

Nirvana

Motörhead

Guns n roses

Pink Floyd

And like twenty more but a lot of them are still going strong and preforming. I’m aware Guns N’ Roses is but I’d like to see the story still.