Newbie looking for advice.

brettpearson67

Hi everyone,
I am glad to be here! I am 54 yrs old and am wanting to learn to play. I have a couple of questions- is the Tama Rock Star a good starting platform? I ask because there is a set available in my area for about $500 with several Zildjian cymbals.
2nd- Would like any advice you may have. Have always loved the drums an have wanted to learn for decades, but life has intervened.
Thanks in advance!

brett

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

pics of the set would help. If it is used, there could be hidden damage to beware of

depending on the condition of the cymbals and hardware, the 500 could be a decent deal for starters

being a drum teacher, I am (of course) going to suggest live, one on one lessons. This will be THE BEST way to learn about the best use of your hands. There are MANY bad habits that you can ingrain at first that can be MAJOR roadblocks down the road. They could also result in physical damage. Lessons will help prevent this issue.

I teach all ages, and pretty much EVERY adult who comes to me does so because they hit a wall pretty quickly with "self-taught hands"...then we have to do months of work undoing bad habits and establishing good ones

also, what is your plan? Do you eventually want to gig? Just play along to music i your home? Tour the world? It is ok if you don't know yet, but if you do, it will help us to help you make a plan

No Way Jose

Silver Member
USA $ 500 may be reasonable for a used Tama Rockstar with Zildjian cymbals. Is a throne included? If you show us the ad then we can make a better assessment.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Hi everyone,
I am glad to be here! I am 54 yrs old and am wanting to learn to play. I have a couple of questions- is the Tama Rock Star a good starting platform? I ask because there is a set available in my area for about $500 with several Zildjian cymbals.
It's a decent starting point. Used shell packs (drums only) run $200-$275. If you're getting hardware, (cymbals stands, a throne, a snare stand, hi hat stand, bass drum pedal) plus cymbals ...... that's not bad. Always however, be mindful of condition. And quality of the cymbals. Pretty much separates a good deal from an OK deal, or a great deal. New starter cymbal packs start at around $200. Hardware packs, around $200-$250. The "cheapest" throne, around $35.

The "new" equivalent would be the Tama Imperialstar ...... is about $700 ..... with hardware and cymbals (Meinl).

Like stated above ..... link to the add, and it's an easier assessment. One look might easily conclude "buy" or "run";)

harryconway

Platinum Member
Cymbals look to be Planet Z. Typical starter stuff. Drums look clean (that's a good thing, at least no red flags) ...... and it looks like a throne and bass drum pedal are there ...... so you've got everything you need, in one stop.

Says the listing is 7 weeks old. Original asking price was $595. Now $495. Might wanna offer $400 or $450, and see if the seller will take it. Depending on your ear ..... the cymbals may sound OK ..... or you may hate them. You can always buy better cymbals, down the road. We've got members here, that play Rockstars, and love them. With new heads and proper tuning, they can sound really good. Cymbals, unfortunately, are what they are. Better cymbals are gonna sound like better cymbals. But we all gotta start somewhere. Who knows ..... in a few years, you might have a $1000 cymbal set, surrounding your Rockstars;)

I say go get you some drums !!!

Here's one recent thread ...... with a Rockstar kit. https://www.drummerworld.com/forums...first-run-out-last-night.176505/#post-1827727

Last edited:

brettpearson67

What is y’all’s take on virtual lessons? I’m in a somewhat rural area, and so my selection of instructors is somewhat limited. Let’s say I might have 1 or 2 in person lessons per month, and supplement with virtual?

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

What is y’all’s take on virtual lessons? I’m in a somewhat rural area, and so my selection of instructors is somewhat limited. Let’s say I might have 1 or 2 in person lessons per month, and supplement with virtual?

that would be better than nothing!! I am doing Zoom lessons right now with @nicholasBR . I live in Ohio. He lives in Ireland. We do them when we both have free time, so it ends up being abbout once every 3-5 weeks.

any time you can get someone else to look at your playing is great. The trick is finding someone who you would like to work with...but that is also a thing in face to face lessons as well.

I am up for doing some Zoom lessons if you want to try it!!

No Way Jose

Silver Member
That kit will get you started. Maybe get you gigging too.

someguy01

Any advice on practice pad set?
Prologix pads. I love 'em. Sweetwater sells a set of the small pads that contain all 4 playing surfaces offered by Prologix.
I also have a Vater red pad and an Aquarian tru-bounce pad. I prefer the Prologix over the other 2.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Any advice on practice pad set?
Are you looking to replicate a drum kit with practice pads? Prologix IS real good. Their 4 pad pitch-variant set is $225. Add the kick for $120.

Another way to go, is mute your acoustic kit. Here's a good video showing the loud/quiet differences there.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Hey Brett: if you're starting completely from scratch, you need to get the bare-bones basic knowledge down first.
Notes and their subdivisions, methods of counting inside a beat (1-ee-and-ah), and so on.
I suppose there's videos on this stuff, but a live instructor you can ask questions to would speed things up.

Once you're not completely in the dark, you can start working on some rudiments. There's a good rundown
of them here: https://vicfirth.zildjian.com/education/40-essential-rudiments.html
but you have to have that basic counting and sub-division (triplets, sextuplets, etc.) knowledge down before you can start.
You can work with a single pad to start getting the rudiments down.

Once you feel like you're starting to get the hang of it, there's a lot of options.
You can get an acoustic set, like you're considering. There's electronic sets if noise is a consideration,
and there's also complete practice pad sets like this: http://www.dwdrums.com/smartpractice/specialty.asp
You can also put mesh heads and triggers on an acoustic set.

There's a whole drum world to explore, but first you have to get a proper start.
The alternative is to just buy a set and start banging away. :ROFLMAO:

nicholasBR

any time you can get someone else to look at your playing is great.
100%.

There are a billion free lessons on youtube, instagram and elsewhere, and a lot of them are really, really good. But the problem (obviously) is there is no critique. You can practise away to your heart's content thinking you are doing the right thing and that you are making progress. Without someone giving you feedback though there's no way of knowing what you're doing wrong ...and with the exception of drumming Wunderkinds and prodigies, you definitely will be doing things wrong.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

100%.

There are a billion free lessons on youtube, instagram and elsewhere, and a lot of them are really, really good. But the problem (obviously) is there is no critique. You can practise away to your heart's content thinking you are doing the right thing and that you are making progress. Without someone giving you feedback though there's no way of knowing what you're doing wrong ...and with the exception of drumming Wunderkinds and prodigies, you definitely will be doing things wrong.

and even wunderkinds and prodigy's do things wrong....they are just good at covering it up, or not even putting it in their repertoire...