New Years Drumming Resolutions

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
To stop believing I can play, & actually put some work in for a change.
I've always found the delusion that I can play quite helpful ... just as I don't kid myself that I can pull off anything fancy :)

What kind of work are you planning to do? Surely not eating your greens??

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of work are you planning to do? Surely not eating your greens??
Well, yes, sort of. I need to seriously brush up the basics so I can apply them to expanding my limited repertoire. Double stroke & left hand independence are goal work items, although I strongly suspect I'll get distracted by gigging, & working on the new Guru drums :)

bigiainw

Gold Member
I would say to practice more, but that would imply that I already practice, and I haven't done that for about a year since I lost the space for and then sold on my electronic kit. I do need to get down to a bit of shedding though as I can feel my playing suffering as a result. It's not much worse than it always was, just a bit more predictable, and I don't like that!

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Well, yes, sort of. I need to seriously brush up the basics so I can apply them to expanding my limited repertoire. Double stroke & left hand independence are goal work items, although I strongly suspect I'll get distracted by gigging, & working on the new Guru drums :)
I'm hearing ya.

I could do with a week of playing exclusively with my left hand and another just with my right foot. Hard to see it happening the way things are with Dad until he moves to a nursing home.

My main drumming resolutions:

1. Continue with my record of doing some sort of drumming (kit or pad) for a minimum of 10 minutes a day. The last time I had a day off drumming was 19th December 2010.

2. Earn enough money from gigs to pay for at least 50% of my drum lessons.

3. Become established in a jazz/swing band and not just a stand in member.

4. Master the various grooves/fills I've learnt in my lessons.

5. Learn to tune my drums more effectively!

Anduin

Pioneer Member
My new years drumming resolution is to stop with practice till I actually finish writing my thesis. After I finish my thesis I'll resume my old practice schedual (hoozah!).
I think you'd be better off continuing with your practicing while working on your thesis. You can't research/write/whatever for every waking hour. And you shouldn't try to. By taking the occaisional break from your thesis to practice drums, you'll be exercising your brain in a whole different way while your subconscious keeps on working on the thesis.

I think you'll end up with a better thesis if you keep music intertwined with your life.

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
A few things,

• Play at my comfortable volume level, regardless.
  • Approch my bass drum work with a differnt attitude-Less of It!
  • Compensate with higher quality stick work on entire kit with focus on cymbals and toms.
  • And, keep on keeping on.