New Yamaha Stage Custom versus Gretsch Catalina Maple

fwb30

I wanted to ask peoples opinion about these two sets - fully realizing one is birch, the other maple (I'm in my 50's - getting back into drumming after many years hiatus). Anyway - looking at buying a new kit - most likely 5 piece (2 up, 1 down config - with possibility of adding another floor tom at some point). It seems the quality of these newer kits, along with the price points, make it a no-brainer to buy new. I know that Yamaha has legendary HW and for gigging, may be the better long term/reliable set. But, the Gretsch maple sound appeals to me, too. Generally speaking, my sound preference is of a low/thuddy type tone, with some resonance. I want the drum to sing out a bit. As an aside, I had recently bought a used late 90's YSC (birch/luan?) - and could not get a decent tone from the toms. Not sure if it was bearing edge/shells, or what (and I bought new Evans G2, and Reso 7s). So, back they went. But - any other criteria I should consider? I know drum sound/tone is highly religious and based on personal preference, so I'm more interested in opinions on HW, or other?? Perhaps people that own these/gig w them can comment? Heck - could probably even throw the Tama Superstar in the mix here. Thanks much -

Tama -> Yamaha -> Catalina. That would be my line of choice. The Catalinas aren't the best hardware and if going Gretsch I'll be the first of many to recommend a used Renown kit over the Catalina. The Renown is eons better than the Catalinas.
First choice, for me, would be the Tama SSC.

Actually I play my first kit with same cymbals and heads- 58 years old now. ROFL Just kidding- I’d just pick one no matter your choice you will more than likely want another soon enough. The urge comes and goes -had bad GAS for a Renown and new cymbals recently but fought off the urge. People recommend customs a lot on here, but I see Catalinas gigging

Electric chair or gas chamber? :rolleyes: .........Seriously, get a used Renown and save yourself a lot of pain and trouble.
Sorry, I've used my little Cat for more than 10 years now, and it might not be on par with a Renown. But it is still a decent kit for many situations as long as you use quality drum heads . I've done many live performances, some recording and lots of rehearsals, and noone ever complained.

The reason there's a lot of recommends for the Renown, you're stepping into a top tier grade kit, for the price of a new intermediate level kit.

Yamaha SC new .... $679

Gretsch Cat Maple new ..... $849

Tama SSC new ...... 899

Gretsch Renown used ..... 2 rack toms, 2 floor toms ...... with shipping $864.99 https://www.ebay.com/itm/324733556581?hash=item4b9ba0d765:g:vFwAAOSwKcJhA6fA

Welcome to Drummerworld.

I owned a Stage Custom Birch not long ago and currently own a Gretsch Renown. Honestly, low and thuddy is neither set's forte though the Renowns are perfect in just about every other way.

If you want a maple kit that does everything well, I cannot recommend the DW Design Series highly enough. Seriously amazing drums.

Nice set.

$1649 for a new 5 pc. here though: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/dw-design-series-5-piece-lacquer-shell-pack-with-chrome-hardware?rNtt=DW Design Series 5-Piece&index=1

fwb 30 didn't specify a price range, but the two sets he mentioned are considerably less.
He could get both the Gretsch and the Yamaha for around that price and wouldn't have to choose between them. :ROFLMAO:
Agreed. I fought with my Stage Customs for about a year to get them to sound good tuned low but they never did. It was an expensive lesson between the shell pack and two sets of new heads.

$1650 isn't cheap but you get the full DW experience for that kind of money and that isn't trivial. They're unbelievably good drums.

Nice set.

$1649 for a new 5 pc. here though: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/dw-design-series-5-piece-lacquer-shell-pack-with-chrome-hardware?rNtt=DW Design Series 5-Piece&index=1

fwb 30 didn't specify a price range, but the two sets he mentioned are considerably less.
He could get both the Gretsch and the Yamaha for around that price and wouldn't have to choose between them. :ROFLMAO:
yeah, good point. I was trying to stay around $800 +/- ... but could go higher. just not sure I want to...

yeah, good point. I was trying to stay around $800 +/- ... but could go higher. just not sure I want to...
Make no mistake, there is much to love about the Yamahas (I have an older set of Stage Customs that I'll likely never sell) but if that classic, deep and low maple sound is what you're after, they're unlikely to make you happy.

I played a set of Catalinas a few weeks ago and liked them but 30 minutes wasn't enough time to really get to know them. The Renowns are a slam dunk but they're twice the price and medium-low to high tuning is their wheelhouse. For roughly the same money you can buy the DWs and they have no apparent shortcomings, at least as far as I can tell after three months of ownership.

If low tuning was my main concern, I think I'd be looking for 13/14 mounted toms and 16/18 floor toms.

You can only go so low with 10 and 12. Low enough for me though.

But yes - even with same sizes, some drums can be tuned lower than others.
yeah, that's a good point. something I'll need to think about.

Well - you're comparing the price of 3 new sets to one used set. A quick peek shows a new 5 pc. Renown goes for about $1500.

I agree that you can get more for your money by buying used.
But comparisons should be apples to apples, unless you're just trying to show that used is a better deal.
I'm comparing that ..... in the $700-$900 dollar range for a new kit (all kits the OP mentioned) ..... he could get a used Renown.
I was trying to stay around $800 +/- ... but could go higher. just not sure I want to...

I have a set of Renowns and low and thuddy is a tricky enterprise. It can be done but it took me several head changes to figure it out. I also have a Mapex Meridian Maple kit that does low and thuddy beautifully. They are two entirely different kits. The reason I recommended the Pearls is that they do everything well. My Sessions are the most versatile kit I own and they never slip out of tune. The hardware is rock solid if not beautiful.

The reason I recommend the used Renown is because the quality is exponentially better than either the Strange Custom or the Cat Maple. Also, by the time to you buy new heads to replace the trashy ones you get with the SC and CM kits you'll be close or at the price of a good used Renown. While I know I'm stigmatized as one of the few on here who hates both the kits you mention, I've owned them both as well as 3 different Renown kits. Also, Renowns are more than capable of the low classic rock tuning you're searching for. There are really nice used Renown sets out there for $800 or so. The Gen1's, RN1's and RN2 ranges are all nice versions of the Renowns. Their hardware is stout! You could beat someone to a pulp with a Renown tom leg. Conversely, SC tom legs are just a shade thicker than a toothpick. SC hoops are about as bad as it gets too.

I had a kit exactly like this one........... Just a killer set. 2011 Gen1 Renown 3 up 1 down.

Last edited:
I just got a set of Stage Customs, but I don't want to be seen as irrationally defending them.
I had spare hoops and heads waiting in the wings, so that wasn't a cost consideration for me.

That said, I've played other SC kits - some with S hoops and some with the stock hoops and never had a problem with them.
Of the seven or eight SC kits I've had, I've never had a problem with the floor tom legs either. YMMV

One other consideration is that fwb30 says he's had a bad experience with a used SC set and sent it back.
Sometimes used is a good deal, and sometimes not so much.
The set that Harry linked to probably sounds great, but the pics show some fairly heavy pitting of the chrome,
a good amount of scratches, and one gash that looks like it took out a chunk of wood.

Sometimes you want to get something that doesn't already have road rash.
Those deals do come along, but it can take some patience.

Sometimes you just want to have that 'new drum' thing, that only comes from being the first owner.
The Pearl set that Lennytoons linked to earlier looks excellent. I doubt it will be around for long now though.
The set that DV linked to looks really good too, but GC doesn't put up a lot of pics. I'd call or email if considering that set.
Thanks man - agree GCs ads/description/pics are awful. I've had to call on several kits and ask questions

The reason I recommend the used Renown is because the quality is exponentially better than either the Strange Custom or the Cat Maple. Also, by the time to you buy new heads to replace the trashy ones you get with the SC and CM kits you'll be close or at the price of a good used Renown. While I know I'm stigmatized as one of the few on here who hates both the kits you mention, I've owned them both as well as 3 different Renown kits. Also, Renowns are more than capable of the low classic rock tuning you're searching for. There are really nice used Renown sets out there for $800 or so. The Gen1's, RN1's and RN2 ranges are all nice versions of the Renowns. Their hardware is stout! You could beat someone to a pulp with a Renown tom leg. Conversely, SC tom legs are just a shade thicker than a toothpick. SC hoops are about as bad as it gets too.

I had a kit exactly like this one........... Just a killer set. 2011 Gen1 Renown 3 up 1 down.

"you could beat someone to a pulp with a Renown tom leg" - :ROFLMAO:. you never know, right? one of those nights - like Eagles said. Seriously, very good intel - thank you!

to me, “low and thuddy” = a vintage Ludwig kit sound and modern Yamaha SC birch do not sound like that.
SCBirch do sound great to me with coated emps over clear ambassadors. In a big room with minimal drum mics they can sound “all attack”.
I owned Yamaha oak customs, far more expensive than my SC Birch kit but they compared very well if sound is the major consideration.

BTW, If you are gigging, “low & thuddy“ is not going to cut it unless they are fully mic’d.
Either choice, Yamaha SC birch or the Gretsch renowns will work great but in bars and small halls need to be tuned a bit higher to be heard, again depends on the P.A.
Gretsch cast hoops = weight, (I have a renown floor tom with cast hoops).
Yamaha hardware is great and very interchangable, I mix crosstown bases with older tom and cymbal mounts, works very well.
And yes Yamaha SC birch tom legs are skinny, very slightly thinner than legs from Japanese built Yamaha kits.

Back