New YAMAHA Signature snares?

TheJarvis

Word on the street is that we might see some new YAMAHA signature snares at NAMM 2020, perhaps a revised Weckl, Bordin but how about an Aldridge or Beauford?

I would love to see another Fig personally.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Those wood hoops sound nice on that drum. There's a couple from a decade or so that I was keen to get but never did due to scarcity and now ridiculous collectors price- the Paul Leim COB snare and the original Manu Katche model.
Will China be getting the same supplier for the shells though?

Last edited:

notvinnie

I can see a new Weckl signature snare, mainly because of its unique double strainer design. I think Yamaha's current snare offerings are already pretty extensive though. They'll probably announce a new piccolo now that they have that new strainer from the Tour series with the smaller footprint.
The only other thing missing may be bronze and copper shells.

RobertM

Platinum Member
Yamaha needs to work on that angle. They used to have a great line of signature snares. Alongside the Manu Katché snare being popular, the Elvin Jones and Roy Haynes models were great, too. I still have a Steve Gadd signature snare (birch shell with wood hoops) pristinely kept in its box. Tama's signature line of snares has always been depressingly thin.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I think signature snares are a tricky lot. It's a neat way to showcase an interesting idea, but if that interesting idea doesn't appeal to a wide variety of drummers its value as a retail item is lost. On the flip side if a signature snare isn't all that different from another standard snare drum or if that drummer doesn't really have a particularly "signature" snare sound it really limits the appeal of that drum.

The problem is magnified when a particular drummer might have a signature sound, but it was achieved with a drum from a different brand than what they are currently endorsing. The Tama Bill Bruford and Stuart Copeland snares immediately come to mind, but the notion of a Yamaha Carter Beauford snare seems similarly "off" in the same regard.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
but the notion of a Yamaha Carter Beauford snare seems similarly "off" in the same regard.
Unless they made him a Yamaha version of the Dunnett's just like they did with Gadd's, Manu, Ndugu, and Leim models based on the Acrolite/Supraphonic. After that, they only used their own signature model.

charliedrummer

I get the idea of promoting a signature snare if in fact it's designed to replicate the sound the artist is well know for, such a Stuart Copeland whose snare sound is undeniably recognizable. Perhaps this seems strange or petty but I don't like having an artist's name or signature on the badge. To me it the impression that I idolize that certain drummer. It's like adults who wear football jerseys with a famous player's name on the back. I get it with kids but not adults. I'd rather they leave leave the name off the drum altogether.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Unless they made him a Yamaha version of the Dunnett's just like they did with Gadd's, Manu, Ndugu, and Leim models based on the Acrolite/Supraphonic. After that, they only used their own signature model.
Carter's been using a Ludwig Black Beauty too... It's funny just how many signature snares from a variety of brands are all just copies of a Supraphonic or Black Beauty. Plus I don't think I'm alone in thinking I'd just rather have the actual Supra or BB snare drum.

I get the idea of promoting a signature snare if in fact it's designed to replicate the sound the artist is well know for, such a Stuart Copeland whose snare sound is undeniably recognizable. Perhaps this seems strange or petty but I don't like having an artist's name or signature on the badge. To me it the impression that I idolize that certain drummer. It's like adults who wear football jerseys with a famous player's name on the back. I get it with kids but not adults. I'd rather they leave leave the name off the drum altogether.
I agree. Unless it's something truly unique or cool I don't always see the point either.

aparker2005

Carter has been using the Ludwig Alex van Halen rosewood since 2015. His signature prototype stopped back in 2008. Apparently he and Yamaha couldn't agree on what he wanted, or else he just quit caring.

I would pay all kinds of money for that sig snare since I have his kit. I've asked his tech a few times about it and he's just not said much about it. He loves the rosewood at the moment. Hope one comes out though!

TheJarvis

Not many brands really continued this idea except Pearl, Sonor etc but I always loved Yamaha's thinking when it came to these snares. The Fig is a real favourite of mine but man those Weckl's are killer.