"New World Man" - Rush

Hi,
Just a question. What is it that neil is hitting on beats 2 and 4 in the prechorus of the song. (Lyrics are "Learning to match the beat of the Old World man
Learning to catch the heat of the Third World man.")

He didn't use the floor tom on his left with the Tama double bass kit. He used a timbale there, and that is what you are hearing in the prechorus.

I tried to find a good pic on the interwebs and couldn't, but I've got the tourbook that lists his equipment.

That is actually a timbale. I am looking at the drum kit setup from the hold your fire tour, which i believe is when this was filmed. The drum setup is from the book "taking center stage."

That is actually a timbale. I am looking at the drum kit setup from the hold your fire tour, which i believe is when this was filmed. The drum setup is from the book "taking center stage."

Yup. I was a serious Rush-head back then, and I saw all those tours. I've seen every tour from 1979 to the present, with the exception of Counterparts and Test for Echo. :)

The linked video was recorded during either Grace Under Pressure or Power Windows. By Hold Your Fire, he was using the Ludwigs. I am almost positive that vid was from Grace Under Pressure.

Yup, Timbale. Much more distinct sound than a floor tom and much higher pitched

Its from the "Grace Under Pressure" tour. And its the same kit used to record and tour "Signals", "Grace Under Pressure", and "Power Windows".

I listened to the original recording, and am still not convinced its a timbale. It is too flat, doesn't have that ring to it that timbales have.

The kit description is here, from the man himself: http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/drums/drumkits/signals.htm

Okay I found a good video with his kit from that era, I see that it is in fact a timbale. Still sounds flat to me though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely a timbale. That's worth 3 points in my other thread!

Arky...that link should be a sticky and required reading for all new members....as well as some current ones.Just my 2 cents.Some posters are just backpfeifengsicht.:)

Steve B

Aaaah! The 80's!!! Don Johnson jackets, rat tails, and headless basses....

Seriously, I love Rush to death (my wife gave me tickets to see them for my birthday a few months ago) but they have never been cool. ;-)

Back