New workhorse (Ludwig Element Birch ICON)

pearlygates

Gold Member
Seems a trend around these boards lately.. I had been eyeing this kit on AMS website for around a month before I found the growing fan club here on DWF.

I have to say.. I wasn't expecting this...

I have read several positive reviews/impressions about these kits, but for me, seeing is believing. Unpacking the kit was my chance to give it the hairy eyeball..

The first thing that stuck out was the finish quality. The kit looks gorgeous. Shell clear coat is flawless as are the fully finished hoops
Chrome bits are nicely plated and everything fit together well. Others have made mention of "warped" tension rods or bad thread cuts on lugs/rods..
I didn't experience this at all. I use a bb sized blob of petroleum jelly on all the t-rods to help ensure smooth threading.

The edges were all sharp with no flea bites or ply separation. The shell interiors are "raw" unfinished and a little rough. I plan on fine sanding and clear coating the shell interiors before too long as this set will see some out and about work this winter.

I changed the batter and resonant heads on the two toms and the batter on the bass drum as well as ported the kick.. (REMO Emperor/Ambassador/PS3)

I have to say that this drum set sounds very good. I admit I am spoiled by my Saturn lVs, but this kit really does sound like it cost a lot more than the $400 I paid. Impressive.
Will it work in the pro studio in December? Oh yeah.

A90D3DAB-B514-44AD-A870-E9AA5A9E42B2_zpsmtzrzykz.jpg

560B255A-6C7E-4918-BD4C-7B5F3F1B566F_zpsons1mo1p.jpg

46EF7582-83C3-4DD3-840C-79D3A2D39B44_zpsh5zqtrqa.jpg

Superman

Gold Member
Cool kit..did you sell the Pearl set?

pearlygates

Gold Member

Superman

Gold Member
Overstock has a 5 piece w free shipping for $550...after seeing these I think that's a sweet deal.

pearlygates

Gold Member
Overstock has a 5 piece w free shipping for $550...after seeing these I think that's a sweet deal.
I have to agree. 7ply 100% marbled birch shells, 10 lug kick drum.. This was a steal for $399! I think Ludwig is closing out these kits if memory serves.

Last edited:

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Cool, you got it today! It'a very nice kit. Glad to hear that you like it. What kind of heads did you put on it, if you don't mind me asking?

pearlygates

Gold Member
Cool, you got it today! It'a very nice kit. Glad to hear that you like it. What kind of heads did you put on it, if you don't mind me asking?
Yeah man just got them via FedEx today. Really liking these drums!
I have Emperor over Ambassadors on the toms and a Powerstroke3 on the kick batter. I haven't swapped out the snare heads as of yet. I plan to swap the snare wires for pure sound 20 strands. The Achilles heel of the kit is probably the snare strainer. Kinda hinkey. Thinking maybe a swap for an L85? The drum has potential!
All the shells are pretty thin and very resonant. Nice job Ludwig!

Last edited:

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Yeah man just got them via FedEx today. Really liking these drums!
I have Emperor over Ambassadors on the toms and a Powerstroke3 on the kick batter. I haven't swapped out the snare heads as of yet. I plan to swap the snare wires for pure sound 20 strands.
Cool man, That's a great combo..Emp/Amb. I use Emp/Genera on my Tama kit.
I'm still going stock on this kit right now.
Your kit looks great. It was really hard for me to not choose that color. Yeah, wires would help. I was able to dial in a decent sound though, as is. But it needs work. Well, enjoy man!

pearlygates

Gold Member
Cool man, That's a great combo..Emp/Amb. I use Emp/Genera on my Tama kit.
I'm still going stock on this kit right now.
Your kit looks great. It was really hard for me to not choose that color. Yeah, wires would help. I was able to dial in a decent sound though, as is. But it needs work. Well, enjoy man!
The snare drum is a sleeper. I do think it will hot rod quite nicely.
Thanks brother. You do the same!!

PeartFan

I still can't believe I got this kit for $399!!!!

After thinking about it for a while, why didn't Ludwig promote this kit more??? Seems like the Breakbeats kit got more publicity. Even if this kit was $599-699 it's still a great deal for ALL BIRCH! Direct competition with Pearl, Tama, and Yamaha in the mid level price point.

If you're looking to add on pieces Yamaha Stage Custom birch natural finish works perfectly.

I almost fell over when I saw how nice the BD hoops are!

Enjoy your kit!!!!

pearlygates

Gold Member
I still can't believe I got this kit for $399!!!!

After thinking about it for a while, why didn't Ludwig promote this kit more??? Seems like the Breakbeats kit got more publicity. Even if this kit was $599-699 it's still a great deal for ALL BIRCH! Direct competition with Pearl, Tama, and Yamaha in the mid level price point.

If you're looking to add on pieces Yamaha Stage Custom birch natural finish works perfectly.

I almost fell over when I saw how nice the BD hoops are!

Enjoy your kit!!!!

The fit and finish is very nice on these drums. The quality is really amazing! Great buy for sure!

I wouldn't mind adding a 14" floor tom. Thanks for the tip on the SCB!

pearlygates

Gold Member
I have to echo..

Why didn't Ludwig promote this series more aggressively. ?
I have had a few days to play this kit and it seems the more I play them the more I like them! Classic birch tone and punch! Get one at this price while you can!!