New video gear test, what else needs improving here?

johnjssmith

Hi everyone, I figured my videos were somewhat lacking in video quality, so I recently got two new video lights and assorted props and decided to do a video to test everything out.
I always try to improve things wherever possible, so please let me know how you think my video(s) could be improved further!

IBitePrettyHard

The sound quality is excellent for a minimal mic setup. Looks like the Glyn Johns miking technique? It's a clean, ambient, and natural sound. I like it.

You might be able to improve it further by adding some minor acoustic treatments to the room you're in to tighten up the sound a little.

Some people might tell you to mic the floor tom and snare individually to get that nice, full, "processed" sound, but honestly I think it already sounds pretty good the way it is. Are you using a dedicated bass drum mic on the resonant side, in addition to the one pointed at the batter head?

The only change I would make would be to point the camera from the left side like this...

This is the best camera angle to record drums IMO.

OjPpNGa.png

Last edited:

johnjssmith

Thanks for the input!
Looks like the Glyn Johns miking technique?
Not quite, the black and red condenser mic is right behind my throne rather than on the side of the floor tom, and the would-be-overhead is actually below the crash/ride cymbal, between the cowbell and the hi-hat, pointing at the snare, though it's has a subcardioid polar pattern, so it picks up pretty much everything save for the bass drum.
The (phone) camera's mics were used as stereo rooms/far-OH and then severely compressed to add to the ambience, and there are two dedicated bass drum mics as well.
Are you using a dedicated bass drum mic on the resonant side, in addition to the one pointed at the batter head?
Yes I am, in fact that one's the main bass drum mic there, the front one I mostly use when I don't have a throne/leg mic and I want a bit more attack, but in this particular video I kept it way way down and relied more on the reso side mic.

I'll definitely keep the perspective and "liveliness" of the room in mind for the next videos.