New UV2 Heads Installed

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Received the new Evans UV2 heads today, 10, 12, and 14, and they tuned so easily it was amazing. Finger tighten all the way around then using the Evans Torque Key, turned all of the lugs to the same number and Boom. Done. Take a look at the photos below and one can see one difference in the heads from the now departed G2's. The coating on the head does not wrap around to the aluminum hoop as with the G2's. Maybe too thick to make the bend, no clue, I've read nothing about that feature. They sound as good, maybe better than the G2's, need a little time to sound on them. I will say, with regards to removing the tom mounts, and mounting the hardware directly to the shell, there may be a slight bit of resonance lost, but not enough to make me sad about doing it. The next test of course will be the durability which has been mentioned in several places.

Attachments

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I've been using UV2 on my 13 & 16" toms and they make a great tone. Can't wait to try them on the Neusonics!

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I have been using a UV1 (single ply 10mil) on my snare drum for many months. It is the snare that I provide for all of the jammers to play. So it got beat pretty hard one to two nights per week. I finally had to change it out. I could not tune it up tight any longer. When I removed it the center was sunken in a little bit just like other well used drum heads. But it did last a long time. And when it was on the drum, the top of the head still looked almost new.
So the only problem I had with it was that I could not tell when it was time to replace it just by looking at it. It began to loose it's ability to tune up at higher tunings. Yes it has a very very durable coating.

Michaelj

Will definitely be keen on thoughts on the 10". Wouldn't mind trying them, I'm using a 10" rack and 16" floor, have been wondering whether a UV2 might be too constrictive on the 10" (but I've got a coated ambassador on reso and coated emperor on batter at the moment and it still sings like a bird).

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
I switched from using UV1 to UV2 on my Ludwig CM's - I get nothing but compliments on how awesome the drums sound. I use clear EC Reso's on the bottoms.

The UV1 heads had just a weird "vibe" to my liking, albeit durable and easily-tunable heads. I am really happy they finally offered the UV2.

BenOBrienSmith

The lack of coating out to the edge of the UV heads was done specifically so that they'd look different. I had actually wanted to go a bit smaller with the coating area to bring back the highs a little since the UV1 seemed to be a very warm sounding head but we ended up with the version as you see it today.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
The lack of coating out to the edge of the UV heads was done specifically so that they'd look different. I had actually wanted to go a bit smaller with the coating area to bring back the highs a little since the UV1 seemed to be a very warm sounding head but we ended up with the version as you see it today.
Fascinating. Thanks for chiming in!

It's interesting because to my ear they are quite bright sounding. Sound great either way.

-Jonathan

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Thanks Ben. Nice to know the facts from the get go. Keep up the "Drum Sounds" videos. Excellent work. I love the sound on my 10, 12, 14. Got them tweaked and the Renown never sounded better.