New user, old drums back together.

offdwall

Hey all,

I just resurrected by 1982/83 Yamaha Recording Custom set from storage after 25 years or so. I bought this set new in early 1983. Now I've got to get practicing again.

Toms 8x12, 10 x 14, 16 x 16: Serial number JH - 1983, January
Kick 14 x 22: Serial number IP – 1982, September

The snare is a 6.5 Tama Mastercraft steel - 1983.

Cymbals
Zildjian
14” New Beat Hi Hats - First Generation 1963 – 1967 (bought used 1972)
18” Thin Crash – 1970’s (bought new mid-late 1970’s)
10” Splash – 1970’s (bought new early 80’s)
22” Rock Ride – 1980’s (bought new early 80’s)
Sabian
15” Extra Thin Crash – 1982 – 1985 (bought new mid 80’s)

Hardware
dw5000 pedal - early 1980's
Stands - 2019 Yamaha Crosstown series

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Nice stuff, original to have a 14x10 were the 13x9 usually sits
Great configuration, and your kits seems as good as new. Congratulations

offdwall

Nice stuff, original to have a 14x10 were the 13x9 usually sits
Great configuration, and your kits seems as good as new. Congratulations
Thanks, I ordered them that way - re: 12/14/16. I always thought that a 14 sat better tuning wise between the 12 and the 16.

gaddgod

Lovely kit ! I always think about Marillion's Misplaced Childhood album when I see a 1980's RC kit. Probably the best sounding drums track I've heard in my life.

Last edited:

incrementalg

Gold Member
Great looking set of drums. It's amazing you kept them in storage for that long. Did you play drums at all during that period?

offdwall

Great looking set of drums. It's amazing you kept them in storage for that long. Did you play drums at all during that period?
Thanks.
Quick answer No.
Longer answer. I’m a recording engineer/producer in NYC. I started working with the likes of Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Dave Weckl, etc around that time and lost interest in playing, choosing to concentrate on something I “could” do at that same level. 😀 I just recently decided to take up the drums again for fun.

Thanks.
Quick answer No.
Longer answer. I’m a recording engineer/producer in NYC. I started working with the likes of Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Dave Weckl, etc around that time and lost interest in playing, choosing to concentrate on something I “could” do at that same level. 😀 I just recently decided to take up the drums again for fun.
Nicely preserved time capsule kit 👍🏻. From NY here also . I worked in the city and from Long Island . Recently ( year or so ago) set up my old frankenkit and started playing again after 20 -25 years, although I did play in a bag pipe band this whole time . Must have been some great experience working with those three . One of my favorite all time drum videos has all three of them “ The King of Drummers “. Have it saved to my phone and watch it a few times a week and now again after reading your post lol !

For anyone that’s not seen it .......

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Don't wanna hijack thread, but no Kings in that video. Well, Steve Gadd maybe. His playing is musical and with a purpose. The other two not so much. I'll take the three real Kings any day: Rich, Bellson, Krupa. Or Morello Erskine and (Tony) Williams.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
And yeah the drums are way cool. LOVE the LUGS !!!!!

Hey all,

I just resurrected by 1982/83 Yamaha Recording Custom set from storage after 25 years or so. I bought this set new in early 1983. Now I've got to get practicing again.

Toms 8x12, 10 x 14, 16 x 16: Serial number JH - 1983, January
Kick 14 x 22: Serial number IP – 1982, September

The snare is a 6.5 Tama Mastercraft steel - 1983.

Cymbals
Zildjian
14” New Beat Hi Hats - First Generation 1963 – 1967 (bought used 1972)
18” Thin Crash – 1970’s (bought new mid-late 1970’s)
10” Splash – 1970’s (bought new early 80’s)
22” Rock Ride – 1980’s (bought new early 80’s)
Sabian
15” Extra Thin Crash – 1982 – 1985 (bought new mid 80’s)

Hardware
dw5000 pedal - early 1980's
Stands - 2019 Yamaha Crosstown series

View attachment 86189

cbphoto

Gold Member
I’m a recording engineer/producer in NYC. I started working with the likes of Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Dave Weckl, etc around that time and lost interest in playing, choosing to concentrate on something I “could” do at that same level. 😀 I just recently decided to take up the drums again for fun.
Oh man...

Can we pelt you with questions about mics and methods for recording drums?
Will you tell us Stories of the Studio? (No names needed)

Oh, ... nice kit, too! 😎

yammyfan

Nice shot!

I see you like clear heads, but dampened. Have you tried Pinstripes on your kit? They sound amazing on birch drums.

offdwall

Nice shot!

I see you like clear heads, but dampened. Have you tried Pinstripes on your kit? They sound amazing on birch drums.
Thanks.

I've had coated ambassadors, Pin Strips and Clear on them. I like the coated and clears the best. By removing one or both of the Moon Gels I can get different levels of dampening for various sounds. The Pin Strip is a great sound but it is what it is and I find they have to be tuned to every specific pitches to sound best. Less flexible IMO.