New UFIP review

Thanks for the link. The Blast line of cymbals seem to project as a cheap/low quality cymbal even though they are very expensive (e.g. $571 list for the 16" crash). I have two UFIP Class Series cymbals which sound much better to my ears. But, I am sure the Blast line will appeal to a discerning group of drummers.

GJS

The blast are ufips answer to all the holed up/deeply hammered crashes coming from sabian and meinl and others. I think the deep hammering is a much better idea than holes because you can imagine the holey cymbals breaking a lot easier.

Nice to see another UFIP user. What Class cymbals do you have?

The Blasts are designed more as effect cymbals - somewhere between a china and a crash. Definitely not something (unless you're an extreme jungle drummer…) you're going to want an entire kit of. I use a 20" and it sits fantastically in-between my Natural and Experience chinas and the rest of my kit. I think the reason he grouped the lot on his kit in one go was for expediency more than for anything else.

They do manage to project very well. The downside to such a thin and flexible cymbal is that there is definitely a volume limit, but under normal playing conditions this is not really ever reached.

Oh, and who pays list…………….? ;-)

Thanks for the link. The Blast line of cymbals seem to project as a cheap/low quality cymbal even though they are very expensive (e.g. $571 list for the 16" crash). I have two UFIP Class Series cymbals which sound much better to my ears. But, I am sure the Blast line will appeal to a discerning group of drummers.

GJS

Thats my view as well. The other difference is the Blasts are very thin and VERY flexible - there is not a lot of tension hammered into them at all. Contrary to expectation they're all the more durable for it, along the Hammerax way of thinking.

That, and they look pretty damn good!

Having said all that there's a lot to be said for the original HHX Ozones - I think Sabian did a great job with those. I wasn't too sold on the ride they made but the crashes, particularly the larger ones, were thinner and more flexible than the majority of other "holey" crashes around nowadays and had that deliciously dark and roaring undertone to them. Lovely!

The blast are ufips answer to all the holed up/deeply hammered crashes coming from sabian and meinl and others. I think the deep hammering is a much better idea than holes because you can imagine the holey cymbals breaking a lot easier.

I'm kind of interested in a blast crash, but I wouldn't be sure which to get. My current infatuation is with Bionic 21" Crash, no one seems to have one, but they seem to be amazing. I agree with your assessment, its probably best to have one, and not like a whole set of Blast. The 20 in your videos sound fantastic, but I need to find one that would work with what I have. Based on the UFIP sound samples, I thought the 19 might be the best choice. But the 18 in Mike Dolbear's review is really tugging at me. Any recommendations?

I have all the Bell Crashes (17-20) and I use a 21 Rough Heavy Ride. I use a 10 Class splash. My two chinas are the Real China B20 (18 and 20). I use 14 Extatic Hats. This is my standard Rock setup.

For jazz I leave the Chinas alone, and change out the ride and crashes for the New Natural line (15, 18,19, 20 and 21 Ride). I also switch to Natural Splash and 14 Natural Light hats.

I have some other odds and ends, but that's what I use most. I have a 21 Experience Collector Ride in Class finish, and I don't really like riding on it, but its a fabulous big dark crash (only 1800g).

Last edited:
It depends on how you intend to utilise it on your kit.

The 16 and 17 can easily take the place of a china - they're short, quick, exceptionally trashy and have minimal decay.

The 19 and 20 push further towards the crash side of the spectrum - longer decay, darker, more tonal spread.

The 18, funnily enough, straddles both camps perfectly, as you can hear from that Dolbear video.

Based only on your setup as below I'd point in the direction of the 19. I think it'll sit better with the Bell crashes and Real chinas without being too much of a drastic change from either of them. Clearly you're not looking to replace your china so the sharper sounding smaller sizes may not be so appropriate. However I don't know what music you play. Perhaps of you're into the louder, funkier styles the 18 would give that little extra bite.

Also, if you're after a 21" Bionic pop me a message - thats something I can very easily facilitate for you.

I'm kind of interested in a blast crash, but I wouldn't be sure which to get. My current infatuation is with Bionic 21" Crash, no one seems to have one, but they seem to be amazing. I agree with your assessment, its probably best to have one, and not like a whole set of Blast. The 20 in your videos sound fantastic, but I need to find one that would work with what I have. Based on the UFIP sound samples, I thought the 19 might be the best choice. But the 18 in Mike Dolbear's review is really tugging at me. Any recommendations?

I have all the Bell Crashes (17-20) and I use a 21 Rough Heavy Ride. I use a 10 Class splash. My two chinas are the Real China B20 (18 and 20). I use 14 Extatic Hats. This is my standard Rock setup.

For jazz I leave the Chinas alone, and change out the ride and crashes for the New Natural line (15, 18,19, 20 and 21 Ride). I also switch to Natural Splash and 14 Natural Light hats.

I have some other odds and ends, but that's what I use most. I have a 21 Experience Collector Ride in Class finish, and I don't really like riding on it, but its a fabulous big dark crash (only 1800g).

Nice to see another UFIP user. What Class cymbals do you have?

I have the:

UFIP Class Series 8" Splash
UFIP Class Series 11" China Splash

Both are very nice. If I was looking for additional cymbals, I would seriously look at their other Class UFIP cymbals.

GJS

Sounds good!

If there's any query you have about anything UFIP related when the time comes feel free to post it up around here or pop me a message and I'm happy to help/advise as best I can.

I have the:

UFIP Class Series 8" Splash
UFIP Class Series 11" China Splash

Both are very nice. If I was looking for additional cymbals, I would seriously look at their other Class UFIP cymbals.

GJS

Im a huge UFIP fan. Have 2 full sets of Class Series. Ride, hats, 4 crashes and 2 splashes per set. Bought the medium and heavys and love em both...so different from the big 3.

F

Sounds good!

If there's any query you have about anything UFIP related when the time comes feel free to post it up around here or pop me a message and I'm happy to help/advise as best I can.

Good luck with this fantastic offering of cymbals! I highly encourage other drummers to try your cymbals; they compete with the best.

Best wishes (and very satisfied with my UFIP cymbals)

GJS

UFIPS are wonderful cymbals. Class series. The splashes are the nicest I've heard. Very musical. Wispy and airy sounding.

UFIPS have a different character than others. The blend of tones is different. The sonic field is more lush, especially compared to the 'Turkish' metals. Paiste Signatures are close, and have their own character, too. But UFIPS are just gorgeous cymbals. Unique lathing patterns, too. Their bells are so clean and clear, different than any other cymbals I have owned.

I love my 19" medium ride, but I will say most of their rides are on the dry side compared to other companies. Not sure why. At least the rides I have owned have been that way.

I use cymbals from five companies - P. S, U, W, & Z, different series and all. If I HAD to choose one (impossible to do, really), it would be UFIP Class series.

That would be due to their rotocasting technique of cymbal production - casting the molten bronze in a spinning mould, and the blank emerging perfectly cymbal shaped.

I agree. There's just something that screams musicality that UFIP absolutely nail! But then I am biased…!

UFIPS are wonderful cymbals. Class series. The splashes are the nicest I've heard. Very musical. Wispy and airy sounding.

UFIPS have a different character than others. The blend of tones is different. The sonic field is more lush, especially compared to the 'Turkish' metals. Paiste Signatures are close, and have their own character, too. But UFIPS are just gorgeous cymbals. Unique lathing patterns, too. Their bells are so clean and clear, different than any other cymbals I have owned.

I love my 19" medium ride, but I will say most of their rides are on the dry side compared to other companies. Not sure why. At least the rides I have owned have been that way.

I use cymbals from five companies - P. S, U, W, & Z, different series and all. If I HAD to choose one (impossible to do, really), it would be UFIP Class series.

Love the UFIPs.

7" Ice Bell
8" Brilliant splash
10" Bionic splash

17" Class medium crash - 1260g
18" Class medium crash - 1350g
20" Class heavy crash - 1925g

21" Bionic heavy ride - 3316g

That my typical Top 40 to hard rock setup.

Just got rid of my Bionic hats. I loved the sound but just a little too much for everything I am doing these days. I'm kind of toying with whether I want some 14" natural light hats, or 14" Extatic mixed hats. (leaning towards the mixed) I love the dark, dryness of the Bionic ride, but really haven't found something comparable in hats yet. I figure with the two sets of hats I listed, the top is lighter and therefore lower pitched to go with a bit darker quality of the named series. I have also pondered using a 14" Extatic crash as a hi hat top, being that it weighs in around 700g. Still searching for that perfect sound I hear in my head.

Meanwhile, I can always use my old Zanki Rotocasting hi hats (14) that weigh in at 860g/1270g. Really thick bell.

Have you thought about the Natural Medium hats?

They'd pair perfectly with your Bionic ride and have a beautifully crisp, dry and dark sound to go with it. I love the Naturals - really rich and organic sounds to be had.

The Natural Lights, though phenomenal (particularly the 15's), may not compete too well with the rest of your setup. The mediums have that bit more mass to give more heft if required, but can be incredibly subtle when you need them to be.

Have you thought about the Natural Medium hats?

They'd pair perfectly with your Bionic ride and have a beautifully crisp, dry and dark sound to go with it. I love the Naturals - really rich and organic sounds to be had.

The Natural Lights, though phenomenal (particularly the 15's), may not compete too well with the rest of your setup. The mediums have that bit more mass to give more heft if required, but can be incredibly subtle when you need them to be.

I have considered the Natural medium ones, but I haven't gotten my hands on any. It's been all sound bites so far, so my decision right now has been based solely on that.

I had been using a set of mismatched Zildjian hats as my goto hats for the longest time. The bottom appears to be a New Beat bottom at around 1271, but the top is an A. Zildjian & Cie (brilliant) from the early 70's. I have a feeling it was originally a thin crash, weighing in at 835g. The bell is smaller and not as rounded as the bottom. These are the ones that can be heard on my Youtube channel ( http://youtube.com/jeffersoncosgrove ). I'm just hoping to find something to replace them with from UFIP at some point.

What do you think of the Extatic series, as sort of a blending of the Class series with the natural series?

Only see this thread today.

Judging only from the vid, I found the sound, short of a better word, "hallow". I think Sabian's lineups (HHX O-zone, HHX Legacy, HHX Effeks, etc) have more complex and fuller trashy sound.

A personal preference, maybe.

Yup, the Extatics would work for you, given those circumstances.

I find them to be very controlled. Everything is perfectly balanced about them and they're incredibly easy to play. The weights are friendlier, too.

Definitely still check out those Natural Mediums though - I think they'll work very well with your ride and overall setup.

I have considered the Natural medium ones, but I haven't gotten my hands on any. It's been all sound bites so far, so my decision right now has been based solely on that.

I had been using a set of mismatched Zildjian hats as my goto hats for the longest time. The bottom appears to be a New Beat bottom at around 1271, but the top is an A. Zildjian & Cie (brilliant) from the early 70's. I have a feeling it was originally a thin crash, weighing in at 835g. The bell is smaller and not as rounded as the bottom. These are the ones that can be heard on my Youtube channel ( http://youtube.com/jeffersoncosgrove ). I'm just hoping to find something to replace them with from UFIP at some point.

What do you think of the Extatic series, as sort of a blending of the Class series with the natural series?

Jeff I have 3 sets:

15" light class series
14'' supernova
13'' experience (I think they are medium/heavy)

They're all great... the 13's I bought in 1999 and I'm a bit tired of them now but they are now used as x-hats. They sound like zildjian k's. The 14's are the most responsive hats I've ever played, alot of highs, they have so much clarity, they are a bit much if you play them in a club with alot of hard surfaces. I don't know what to compare the 15's to but you can hear them all on my youtube if it helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OYGBUIrqUo

Jeff I have 3 sets:

15" light class series
14'' supernova
13'' experience (I think they are medium/heavy)

They're all great... the 13's I bought in 1999 and I'm a bit tired of them now but they are now used as x-hats. They sound like zildjian k's. The 14's are the most responsive hats I've ever played, alot of highs, they have so much clarity, they are a bit much if you play them in a club with alot of hard surfaces. I don't know what to compare the 15's to but you can hear them all on my youtube if it helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OYGBUIrqUo

I loved the Bionics I had, but they too were a bit overpowering due to the higher frequencies. Not overpowering for everything, but I'm finding myself playing some smaller rooms, via private parties, corporate events, conventions and such that don't really require that kind of cut.

I absolutely love my Bionic ride. I liked the Natural heavy ride as well. It was my second choice, but I'm glad I went with the Bionic on that. It's great for rock, but isn't overbearing in lesser volume tunes. It's certainly much more versatile than the series might imply.

Back