NEW Tune Bot gig tuner

Superman

Gold Member
I have been interested in a tune bot for a while now but haven't pulled the trigger. I was looking today and saw that they now offer a Tune Bot gig tuner for $66 from the same company. I can't find any info on differences between that one and the original. Anyone have any info? Thanks in advance.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
I just picked up the Gig version, because I lost/misplaced by original Tune Bot... ironically at a gig! LOL.

The main difference, besides the color and clip, is the Gig version is a stripped down version offering only the lug pitch function (Absolute pitch), the Difference function, and reading fundamental pitch. It does not have the Filter button/option or ability to save your pitch readings into memory.

I hardly used those advanced features on my original version to this Gig one fits the bill for me nicely. I will make sure not to lose this one!

http://pearldrum.com/products/kits/electronic-drumsets/tune-bot/

93civEJ1

I still use my original. I use my filter button pretty often just so that way it cuts out any frequencies im not interested in.

cjj

Personally, I would consider the 'Filter' feature a must have if you're going to spend the money on a Tune-Bot.

CJ

whiteknightx

Silver Member
I agree. I use the filter function every single time I use the Tunebot. I have trouble believing I'd get a decent result without that feature.

93civEJ1

not sure how that would work?? How would it know what frequency to filter if it was always on? The original you set the filter when you get your desired frequency.

Herby

I was wondering the difference myself, so I got in touch with OverTone Labs on Twitter and asked them. Have posted the reply below, hope it helps:

Here are the main differences:
The Gig does not have saving or recalling ability.
The gig displays frequency and note simultaneously, the tune-bot switches between frequency and note by pressing the note button
The gig combines Filter and Difference mode/ when you press the difference mode, it also Filters to that pitch. With the tune-bot (original) you can Filter without using difference (or vice versa) and you can use both modes at the same time.
the other differences are just design and the clip.

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
I just picked up the Gig version, because I lost/misplaced by original Tune Bot... ironically at a gig! LOL.

The main difference, besides the color and clip, is the Gig version is a stripped down version offering only the lug pitch function (Absolute pitch), the Difference function, and reading fundamental pitch. It does not have the Filter button/option or ability to save your pitch readings into memory.

I hardly used those advanced features on my original version to this Gig one fits the bill for me nicely. I will make sure not to lose this one!

http://pearldrum.com/products/kits/electronic-drumsets/tune-bot/
Since you've had both, would it be better for a new user to get the Gig or the full featured one?

I'm thinking that if you would normally press the Filter button when using Difference mode anyway, then having the Filter come on when you switch to Difference mode would work just fine.

I don't need to save presets (my phone and/or a piece of paper can do that much easier than the cumbersome interface on the Tune-Bot can), so I'm leaning toward getting the Gig version.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
Since you've had both, would it be better for a new user to get the Gig or the full featured one?

I'm thinking that if you would normally press the Filter button when using Difference mode anyway, then having the Filter come on when you switch to Difference mode would work just fine.

I don't need to save presets (my phone and/or a piece of paper can do that much easier than the cumbersome interface on the Tune-Bot can), so I'm leaning toward getting the Gig version.

It depends how finicky you like to be with higher tunings or OCD [in particular] with your snare tunings. I say this because the full featured one's Filter button I've learned acts much better at getting the high frequencies like snare reso's (390+). The Gig version I admittendly say is having a hard time getting up there and I have to really whack the head to get it to read properly, whereas the full version I did not. I am able to get around this because I also have a Planet Waves tuner/metronome (like Bob Gatzen in his tuning videos uses) to read the notes for the heads I can't get easily with the Tune Bot Gig.

You are correct with the Difference mode for the Gig version, when you go into that mode it automatically filters around the frequency you are trying to match.

In short If I had another $90 lying around I'd go for the full version again honestly.

newoldie

Silver Member
It depends how finicky you like to be with higher tunings or OCD [in particular] with your snare tunings. I say this because the full featured one's Filter button I've learned acts much better at getting the high frequencies like snare reso's (390+).

This has been my experience as well, using the filter button. Without it, many times striking the head produces abnormal readings, but with it, the tuning reading is much easier to gauge and adjust accordingly.
While I don't like to think of it as a crutch, the TB has given me the best opportunity to tune my drum set heads as close to the desired consistency as possible, compared to just tuning by eye or ear and I'm more assured of an in tune drum batter and reso.