New to recording SOS

Hey Yall! I'm new to the Drummerworld forum so first off thanks for having me!

In November I have the go ahead (from my wife) to get what ever kit/setup I want. I was going to go with a DW but I think now I will be getting a Mapex armory.

I have always wanted to record my drums for covers of songs to upload to youtube but I have never had money. Money now isn't an issues. I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO RECORD. I seriously need HELP! I know that I will need mics, audio interface, and recording software. I already have a macbook pro. I really really really need direction on how to hook up mics, record my drums, and edit and up load drum covers. I don't want to sound desperate but I am. Another reason I haven't tried to record is because my kit right now is $hi! and the stock snare is garbage. If ANYONE... ANYONE at ALL has any tips, videos, or advice it would mean the world to me.

I'm getting my kit from sweetwater.com and everything else for my kit from there so I would also like to get all the recording materials from there all in November as well so sweetwater links are appreciated as well.

Thank you guys so much. I look forward to hopefully seeing some replies. Have a good one!! ????

I have no clue how to record = Yamaha EAD10. It's absolutely not completely horrible, dead simple, entertaining, and you can immediately start focusing on the challenge of playing rather than recording tech.

Next simplest is going to be 2XLDC's (like an AT2020 or P120) and a Focusrite.

Next step is to add dynamics on the primary instruments, a room mic, etc.

Stay in Garageband until you have a compelling reason to buy Logic.

This is what 2xAT2020's (overhead, bass drum) and an SM57 (snare) sound like in Garageband. Drums are solo'd at about 1:30

To really help we need to know more about your budget, and what you have.

The basic recording list:

-Something to record onto.
You will need a destination media for your audio. In most cases these days that means a computer, or stand alone recording unit. Computer doesn't mean your old windows 98 PC, you need enough disk speed, cpu power and memory to facilitate the recording you want to do.

-Something to facilitate the audio input.
Assuming a computer target, you need a way to plug in all your input sources. For a computer we use what's called an "interface" which is a unit that plugs into your computer and gives you audio inputs to record with. The number of inputs is variable.
If you're not using a computer, you might need something like a mixing board to accept your inputs, but many stand alone recording devices have inputs already built in.

-Some input gear.
Of course you need microphones for recording things like drums. I suggest a package of drum mics to start with, but it depends on your goals. This also implies cables, stands, any room-treatment, power for all the gear.

-Something to organize/actually record your input tracks.
This would be usually a software, pro-tools, logic, garage band, reaper, etc. Some have steep learning curves some are more limited but easier. You also might want companion software like effects or "plug ins" that do weird or helpful audio things.

I'm keeping it high level because this is a huge over-simplification. Each of these aspects has all kinds of options and they depend on your budget and your goals. "recording drums" can be as simple as a laptop, 2 channel interface, and 2 decent condensers, or as complex as dedicated rack mount computers with built in cards for processing pro tools and huge drives to store tons of projects, 16 (or more) input interfaces, and microphones that cost more than cars.

Recording live musical anything is a learn-as-you-go thing. Start small, one or two mics, and build from there. You will need mics, a mixer, and something to record with (a digital recorder, a CD recorder, and computer, etc.). Good luck. Peace and goodwill.

I have a Zoom H1n which is a little hand held doodad that has two mics in stereo. It was about $100 US, and it totally works and gives me a good close representation of my acoustic room sound with or without the rest of the band.

Recording is an art of it's own. I suggest you start using Garageband and just start recording. Learn how to edit, learn how to EQ and add reverb. Recording is like learning a whole new instrument, it takes a long time and the learning process never really ends.

Back