New to me kit on the way !

Over50drumguy

Silver Member
Well after getting back on my old POS Frankenkit 2 years ago and in an effort to de rustify myself from a 20 year hiatus , after a year it quickly became clear to me I needed-.......(wanted?) an upgrade . I found and lost out on a few this past year . Not gonna lie , after missing a NOS 7 piece ( 4 rack 2 floor 1 kick) starclassic bb in Smokey indigo burst from DCP by half an hour the other day,I was crushed ??. I wasn’t gonna drag my feet on a mint 6 piece newer model used Tama Starclassic bb in molten brown burst that popped up yesterday . It ships today !!!

Was a bit nervous making a big purchase online sight unseen , but the guy at Forks Drum Closet was great and walked this nervous old dude through it all ?. Not getting any younger , so I said WTH , I’ll get it . I’ll eventually post pics once I set it up . I’ll eventually need , a few cymbals ( not sure which yet ) a better throne, high hat stand and maybe a double pedal ( single to this point ) but one thing at a time , I can use what I have for now .

Edit: I’ll need a high hat stand , this old vintage Gretsch I have just fell apart in more than one place ?

Specs ....
Rack toms ... 8x7, 10x8, 12x9
Floor toms.....14x12, 16x14
Bass drum ....22x18
Double Tom post , tama clamp mount for the 8x7, 6 floor Tom legs .
pics of the kit from their website ....D1FB757F-66B5-4AFD-BC3B-DD16E2996E56.jpegBF707FD1-83B0-4DCF-AF07-14C185F838DF.jpeg1F013BB8-053C-41FE-A4E0-B86389746613.jpegE270E27F-26DB-47F1-A857-26631139E1B6.jpegE3FD3E32-B1D1-4A57-A6AE-786BD2CA30CF.jpeg

Last edited:
Great find, that's a beautiful kit.
If you haven't played a Starclassic before, prepare yourself mentally, take a few slow deep breaths, before giving the bass drum a wack.

Good for you. I'm almost positive that you will not be disappointed with the drums. My son has a set of those. And I think Forks has a very high reputation also. I'm sure you'll be happy all the way around. Congratulation.

Thanks all ! I’m pretty excited . I don’t usually spend on myself . The rare occasion I do I always feel a little guilty which detracts from the pleasure of it . Not this time though ! With 3 daughters from 16, 19, and 24 there was ,is now and will be college to pay for , possibly a wedding in a few years and all sorts of bills as I’m sure most here can relate . Seen to much pain , death, and suffering ( retired L.E.O and first responder at ground zero) and had a health scare after retiring a few years ago from the PD. Life’s to short ! Can’t worry about what was or what will be ( did it all my life?) gotta live for now ( a little bit ?).
One upgrade begets another! Beautiful kit, looking forward to pictures.

Im not going down that road yet lol ! Pics will definitely be coming.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a beautiful kit! I don't like spending big lump sums on myself, either. (I never had much money growing up and prefer saving over spending.)

However, a drum set like that should last you the rest of your life with only minor outlays for drum heads, etc. You work hard and support your family, you deserve this. Congratulations!

I'm pretty sure I saw that same kit for sale the other day! It was an awesome deal and I almost thought about posting the deal here. Glad to see someone from the forums got it.

You'll love that kit!

Man that is a beautiful finish and kit but, for your own good, you need to have it sent to "ME" so I can perform some quality control studies-I"ll send you the analysis. Such a fine kit and investment you want to make sure it meets all engineering and acoustic standards -yeah sure the heads will have some wear but I test them too LOL. Man that's a massive kit-you going to gig it or is this a personal home treat-just for "YOU". Should meet any drumming needs for eternity. I await your pics and maybe a video or audio so we can hear those babies.

Sounds like you’ve earned this kit. As the owner of more Starclassic kits than I really should have, I can attest that you’ll be thrilled with these drums when they arrive. Enjoy them and please post some pics when the kit is set up.

Man that is a beautiful finish and kit but, for your own good, you need to have it sent to "ME" so I can perform some quality control studies-I"ll send you the analysis. Such a fine kit and investment you want to make sure it meets all engineering and acoustic standards -yeah sure the heads will have some wear but I test them too LOL. Man that's a massive kit-you going to gig it or is this a personal home treat-just for "YOU". Should meet any drumming needs for eternity. I await your pics and maybe a video or audio so we can hear those babies.

Thank you ! You’d really do that for me lol ????.

For now it’ll just be for my own at home use . Eventually play with some others at home by spring or over summer, then who knows ??‍♂️. I’d like to eventually get back to or close to my former level Of play , but my improvement has been slower than I’d like after a long break from the kit that I thought of spraying myself down with a rust inhibitor ?. I’d like to eventually gig and play out but if it doesn’t come to be I’m good with playing all by my lonesome and with a few guitarists I know in my basement. I’ll get some pics up hopefully next weekend . I’ll see if I canfigurd how to get some audio or video up eventually, but not so confident in my playing to post vids now , maybe over summer .

Sounds like you’ve earned this kit. As the owner of more Starclassic kits than I really should have, I can attest that you’ll be thrilled with these drums when they arrive. Enjoy them and please post some pics when the kit is set up.

Thank you! I’ll get some pics up next weekend hopefully . And if you’ve got too many starclassics , you can always send one on over to me ?. Ill only have the one and I don’t want it getting lonely ??

Last edited:
Congratulations O5. IIRC, one of the missed kits was an 8-piece Sonor Ascent (?) so I’m sure missing that 7-piece Tama in SIB the other day must have stung sorely. ? But, all your hard work finally paid off with a great deal on a beautiful (sounding & looking) kit. Excellent score.

Given your service to the U.S. and dedication to your family, this small reward is well deserved. Enjoy your time playing them & shaking off a little rust... it’s probably just surface, and you’ll polish up nicely. (y)

Back