New to me 15" hats

lefty2

Platinum Member
I picked up some old Zildjian hats today. They sound just like the 15s I played all through the 80s. I love em. Big sloshy sound with lots of sustain. I played along with Foghat on cassette for about 30 minutes tonight. I haven't done that in a few years.

I have two pair of 15" hats; Zildjian Mastersounds that are bright and crisp and Sabian Sizzle Hats that are big and sloshy. Both are a ton of fun to play.

Nice score on yours! Whatever Zildjian was doing during the hollow logo era turned out some amazing cymbals.

Congrats. Love my 15s. Oddly I usually play my 14s as they weight 800+ grams less and I value traveling light.

If it were just the sound, the 15s would get the nod. Bang away.

I picked up some old Zildjian hats today. They sound just like the 15s I played all through the 80s. I love em. Big sloshy sound with lots of sustain. I played along with Foghat on cassette for about 30 minutes tonight. I haven't done that in a few years.

Nice score ! I still have and occasionally listen to cassettes. I’ve got a bunch . I think even some Foghat too ??

Nice score ! I still have and occasionally listen to cassettes. I’ve got a bunch . I think even some Foghat too ??
I've got a 90min tape of nothing but Foghat music from their first six albums. I used to practice along with for many years. I learned a lot from Roger Earl on those albums.

Now you’ve gone and done it. I’ve already put my 15s in the gig bag for tomorrow because of you.

Pete

Does that pic say a 1500 g bottom?
I had a set of those 15 inch hollow logo in my hands once to buy used. The seller wanted a little too much, but now I have regrets not buying them.

I had a set of those 15 inch hollow logo in my hands once to buy used. The seller wanted a little too much, but now I have regrets not buying them.
That would be pretty typical weight for a late 70s NB bottom. 1400-1500 gram bottoms and 900-1000 gram tops.

Edit - and how much did he want?

Yes I wrote that on there. It weighs slightly more than 15. I bought them in Wichita Kansas

$280 if I recall....local sale.
Yeah, I’d have passed on that too. 200 on eBay and maybe 225 in person would be what I’d pull the trigger on.

Lots of people get that common illness when selling stuff: itsworthmoreifimsellingit-itis.

Pete

Yeah, I’d have passed on that too. 200 on eBay and maybe 225 in person would be what I’d pull the trigger on.

Lots of people get that common illness when selling stuff: itsworthmoreifimsellingit-itis.

Pete
Mine were 165. There were a couple on reverb that I was looking at around the same price. They were new beats and a little bit lighter than these

For me, the lighter the better. My 14in NBs are 738/1200 grams. More complex sound and a good variation to my typical darker hats. I’m way far from being a pro but they just hit the sound I’m looking for and that serves what I’m doing.

I'll probably continue to use my 14 in new Beats with my country band. I got a call the other day to drum for a classic rock band these cymbals should blend right in with that really good. That's what I used all throughout the 80s. Sometime in the 90s my top cymbal cracked and I ordered a new pair of New Beat 15 in and they weren't at all like my old ones that were just haphazardly thrown together. I got the bottom one when I was about 13 1973 in 1980 I bought a new beat top to go with it and really loved them.

Back