New to forums. And question about my set.

Boliano

Hey all I’m new here. I’m a new drummer and have what I thought to be a Farely good kit. However I was just told by Gretsch it is very rare as far as the wrap on my kit goes. It’s a renown kit with the yellow oyster wrap. 8-10-12-14 inch time. And a 22 inch kick.
So question I have is. Does anyone know of a floor tom with matching wrap? Gretsch just emailed me they literally have none at the plant to wrap a new one for me. So any idea what my kits worth? If i cannot find a matching floor Tom I’m Gonna sell it and buy a new kit sized the way I want.

Attachments

Last edited:

alparrott

Platinum Member
Hey all I’m new here. I’m a new drummer and have what I thought to be a Farely good kit. However I was just told by Gretsch it is very rare as far as the wrap on my kit goes. It’s a renown kit with the yellow oyster wrap. 8-10-12-14 inch time. And a 22 inch kick.
So question I have is. Does anyone know of a floor tom with matching wrap? Gretsch just emailed me they literally have none at the plant to wrap a new one for me. So any idea what my kits worth? If i cannot find a matching floor Tom I’m Gonna sell it and buy a new kit sized the way I want.
Welcome aboard the good ship Drummerworld! Hope you enjoy your time here.

What series is the kit and how old, and in what condition? Do you have any pictures?

Ghostin one

That's a great color (to me, anyway). I wish I had one. They were a limited run from around 2004-5. They made a full range of sizes, but they'll be hard to find.

Boliano

Welcome aboard the good ship Drummerworld! Hope you enjoy your time here.

What series is the kit and how old, and in what condition? Do you have any pictures?
I’m trying to upload pics. But it keeps saying I have to resize it. Ugh.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
If it's rare, it might be easier to recreate it using the modern wrap-wizards and wrap a drum yourself, or have it done. There's a few wrap companies to pick from, Walopus, Bum Wraps and Jammin Sam come to mind.

cbphoto

Gold Member
If you love its sound and can position all the drum where you want, then Keep the kit. Find a Tom you can wrap with a custom design like Larryace recommends.
And welcome!

Ghostin one

I found an article that said there were a hundred of these made (and a hundred in turquoise oyster), introduced at summer NAMM in 2004, listed in the 2005 catalog but no pictures.

If you google around, you can see all sizes were made.

https://www.audiomasterclass.com/newsletter/new-nitron-oyster-finishes-offered-on-gretsch-s-renown-maple-drums

page 11:

http://www.drumarchive.com/Gretsch/Gretsch_2005.pdf

There's a thread about this exact drum set at DFO, about the fact that it's an eight-lug 22" bass drum, very unusual.

Last edited:

Boliano

I found an article that said there were a hundred of these made (and a hundred in turquoise oyster), introduced at summer NAMM in 2004, listed in the 2005 catalog but no pictures.

If you google around, you can see all sizes were made.

https://www.audiomasterclass.com/newsletter/new-nitron-oyster-finishes-offered-on-gretsch-s-renown-maple-drums

page 11:

http://www.drumarchive.com/Gretsch/Gretsch_2005.pdf

There's a thread about this exact drum set at DFO, about the fact that it's an eight-lug 22" bass drum, very unusual.

Wow ok thank you. I was unaware there were only 100 made. I like the kit. But realy think I wanna go with something new. Again I’m a new drummer and still getting a feel of exactly the sizes I want and configuration. I already know I want longboard pedals for all my hardware. Already tried out dozens of sticks to find ones I like the most. So I’m getting there. Thank you all for your input. I did notice the drum stores really don’t want to talk to someone like me unless I’m ready to buy right then and there.
I guess my only other question right now is. Is this set worth anything in your opinion cause of rarity?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Put the 14 on a stand, and place it lower and in position of a floor tom and not a rack tom. The badge appears to be Renown

harryconway

Platinum Member
Gretsch Renowns have a very good reputation. And there are Gretsch collectors out there. You might want to explore the interweb for Gretsch player/collector groups. While the kit is rare, you have to find that one (or hopefully two or more) buyer that wants the kit, and has the money to spend. Sometimes a hard alignment to find in this day and age.​

Boliano

Put the 14 on a stand, and place it lower and in position of a floor tom and not a rack tom. The badge appears to be Renown
Yes it’s 2004-2005 I believe Renown.
I think either way I’m gonna sell it or possibly trade it in if the money is right. Again being new to drumming I’m trying out tons of sizes and configurations to hopefully get a set sized and set up to exactly what makes me
Comfortable. But I will say I tried one of those offset double bass pedals and I kinda like having the snare sit directly in the center of the bass. But again I know it can years to finally get a setup that’s the perfect size and setup to match a players liking.

Last edited:

brentcn

Platinum Member
Is this set worth anything in your opinion cause of rarity?
No, definitely not. Kits gain value because of the particular era they belonged to, or association with a well-known drummer. When only 100 of a kit were made, it means that add-ons are going to be hard to find.

You can sell this kit to someone who likes the color and finish, or to someone who plans to strip and re-wrap the kit. You're looking at $500-900, mostly likely. Probably close to half of what you paid, which is what most used kits go for.

Boliano

No, definitely not. Kits gain value because of the particular era they belonged to, or association with a well-known drummer. When only 100 of a kit were made, it means that add-ons are going to be hard to find.

You can sell this kit to someone who likes the color and finish, or to someone who plans to strip and re-wrap the kit. You're looking at $500-900, mostly likely. Probably close to half of what you paid, which is what most used kits go for.
Thank you very much. Again I just don’t know enough about these things and it’s really helpful to ask here.
And as far as add-one I already know all to well. I even went as far as emailing Gretsch to see if it’s possible to get a floor Tom from them and they looked and don’t have any pieces of this wrap left lol. Ok thank you I really appreciate the you all taking the time to respond.

Ghostin one

I don't understand why a scarce color wouldn't be worth more money?

Look at the "enormous internet auction site", and you'll see single 8" renown toms sit for months sometimes. But the last yellow oyster 8" tom got over thirty bids from a number of people, the first time it was listed.

Supply and demand is how prices are determined, so scarcity certainly can drive up the price.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I don't understand why a scarce color wouldn't be worth more money?

Look at the "enormous internet auction site", and you'll see single 8" renown toms sit for months sometimes. But the last yellow oyster 8" tom got over thirty bids from a number of people, the first time it was listed.

Supply and demand is how prices are determined, so scarcity certainly can drive up the price.
An add-on tom, sure. But entire kits that don't have much chance of adding on are a very "niche" purchase. Someone will need to have been looking for that exact color.

Another great example: I'm looking for a three-ply Ludwig 14" floor tom. It's almost as expensive as buying a players' kit in 12/14/20 to buy just a 14", it seems.

It's just the way the market is.

Ghostin one

This color Renown has a better chance of finding add-ons than mine does - no 18, 14, 13, 20, or snares were made in ebony lacquer. Yellow oyster was made in 20, 22 (8 and 10 lugs), 18, 16, 14, 13, 12, 10, and 8, and snares.

I realize the psycho green doesn't appeal to everyone, but next to yet another Autumn Burst or any other variation of brown, I think it's great.

Boliano

This color Renown has a better chance of finding add-ons than mine does - no 18, 14, 13, 20, or snares were made in ebony lacquer. Yellow oyster was made in 20, 22 (8 and 10 lugs), 18, 16, 14, 13, 12, 10, and 8, and snares.

I realize the psycho green doesn't appeal to everyone, but next to yet another Autumn Burst or any other variation of brown, I think it's great.
Where did you see all those sizes were made? And any idea where I can look to see if someone has a floor Tom for sale for my set?

Ghostin one

I've seen pictures and read about them, just searching the internet.

Do you love the color (like I do, lol)? You could keep them, and get any other color floor tom you can find in the size you want, and start your search for the yellow oyster.

Try putting an ad on all the drum forums, get the alerts from auction sites, etc.

That's what I'd do. As a beginner, it's not like you need them all to color match for appearance on a stage or anything.

Or punt, and get something else. I've never not had a 16" floor tom since 1974 or so, so I don't know what that 14 is like. But lots of people use those "fusion" sizes.