New to forum and wonder about greatest 500

I'm always open for suggestions - as i wrote in my post about the drummers i recently included. They are here: https://www.drummerworld.com/recentlyaddeddrummers.html

Jon Fishman, Butch Trucks and Jaimoe WERE on Drummerworld - till their management stepped in without knowledge of the purpose of the site.
Most missed is the man with 1000 drums, who wanted me to pay a high amount for using his name and videos.

To Phil Rudd, which i know personally now for 30 years: After the dead of uncle Charly there are not many drummers around, who played for 500 million people in public - this is also a argument for me to include.

When it comes to Ringo, all long-established Forum Members know, that this is a hot iron and can lead to a instant banning. Nobody "plays circles" around Ringo, the man who motivated also 500 million people to take up the sticks.

As I said before: I'm open for suggestions. Instead of only dropping a name please deliver some video links, which are allowed to use. When it's a living drummer also his acceptance and cooperation.

Thanks a lot and have fun - as I still have.....

Bernhard
Well thanks for your reply and I now know more than I did before about your site. You must give me some leeway as I mentioned I am new here. I probably wouldn't have commented if the headline was "My greatest 500 drummers". As I said in my original post, we all expect some degree of bias in these "greatest" articles no matter what the subject. If these are your personal opinions I can certainly respect that regardless if I agree. I did not know money was involved in the list and as I said I love AC/DC and the work of Mr. Rudd I just feel that many excluded drummers could do what he has done. I guess there is a difference of opinion in what makes one great. Thanks again and I have so far had fun on your site.

I’ve heard of Jaimoe and Butch. I think they’re terrific. Does it bother me that they might not be on the Drummerworld top 500? Hell no.

You gotta be real, Scott? Real whiny, apparently. First post out of the gate and you think you run the place. Even the mods don’t act like that and they actually do run the place.
Dude, sorry you think I'm trying to run the place. What smacks you in the face when you come to the site first thing is "500 greatest drummers". So, what do you think one is going to do first but see who's included and not. It also is pretty certain that if someone reads this, they might have a commentary like mine. So please don't take my argument as a personal affront to you. I mentioned you nowhere in the post.

ugh here we go with the "obscure" drummer list again. leave it alone man! I've never heard of any of the drummers you mentioned and my life, quite frankly , is just fine without knowing about them.
Just because YOU haven't heard of them does not make them obscure. I see by your signature picture that you must be a fan of Bonzo. Well so am I. He's always been my fave because he was doing stuff no one else was doing at the time. I saw ZEP many times in my youth. These days there are tons of drummers that have mastered what he started. Anyway. There are lots of drummers on that list that I have not heard of and I'm sure you haven't either mostly due to our tastes in music. That does not mean they should not be considered great drummers. Being an old head, I know most of the Rockers, many of the session guys, some of the jazz guys that's where my tastes lie. However many of the under 50 crowd know the Jam band scene and just because you might not listen to Moe. or Umphreys Mcgee does not make their drummers obscure. These are guys that have been around awhile and are known around the world. And they are technically excellent. You could do yourself a favor by widening your comfort zone. So if you haven't heard of them, there are plenty of other younger folks who have and I'm sure they don't care about your familiarity with them. Sorry my post pi%%ed you off.

Regarding the top 500 drummer list; no where do I see the term “Best” or “Greatest” on this list. It simply says “Top”. Which is OK with me. Maybe it should say the 500 most influential drummers or 500 good drummers. To me "top" means "good" or "famous". And I like the idea of recognizing good drummers.

Heck, I’m probably one of the top drummers in my city. Just ask the other 40 drummers that live here. (I live in a small city near Phoenix, Arizona)

Just wondering: Are there really exactly 500 on the list? And if a new drummer is added do they drop one off the list to maintain 500?

Regarding the top 500 drummer list; no where do I see the term “Best” or “Greatest” on this list. It simply says “Top”. Which is OK with me. Maybe it should say the 500 most influential drummers or 500 good drummers. To me "top" means "good" or "famous". And I like the idea of recognizing good drummers.

Heck, I’m probably one of the top drummers in my city. Just ask the other 40 drummers that live here. (I live in a small city near Phoenix, Arizona)

Just wondering: Are there really exactly 500 on the list? And if a new drummer is added do they drop one off the list to maintain 500?

Hey Jim - you got me!!!! lol - because I add new drummers - and of course i don't delete anyody with no reason - there are now in fact 550 or so.
Next mistery: some drummers are written in red....!!??

Bernhard

Next mistery: some drummers are written in red....!!??

X Files What GIF by The X-Files

Bernhard said:
When it comes to Ringo, all long-established Forum Members know, that this is a hot iron and can lead to a instant banning. Nobody "plays circles" around Ringo, the man who motivated also 500 million people to take up the sticks.

Bernhard

When this comes around on Facebook, I like to remind folks that these guys are considered to be pretty damned good, and THEY know how good Ringo is and what he has meant to drumming, and to music...

Well thanks for your reply and I now know more than I did before about your site. You must give me some leeway as I mentioned I am new here. I probably wouldn't have commented if the headline was "My greatest 500 drummers". As I said in my original post, we all expect some degree of bias in these "greatest" articles no matter what the subject. If these are your personal opinions I can certainly respect that regardless if I agree. I did not know money was involved in the list and as I said I love AC/DC and the work of Mr. Rudd I just feel that many excluded drummers could do what he has done. I guess there is a difference of opinion in what makes one great. Thanks again and I have so far had fun on your site.
No money is involved in the list - beware!!
You know, Scott, all you had to do is submit the names you want on it for review, and instead you accuse the guy of a lack of credibility in your first post, and now you’re accusing him of taking bribes to get on the list. That’s pretty messed up. I don’t know how you can even think you were in the right.

Welcome Scott!

I think the most valuable use of lists of 'Top x Drummers' is the exercise of realizing that objectivity in art analysis to create a ranking is foolish. All lists are subjective and without rational ranking beyond '...because i like THISDRUMMER more than THATDRUMMER.'.(well, and becoming aware of the art other musicians make)

Its art...not sport...no objective scoring that holds the weight of the term 'better'.

For example, Buddy was an amazing drummer but he would never in a million years enter my top 100 drummers. Sure, he could do things others cannot...but that is not judgement of art.

Took me some time to agree with this thinking so I get looking at these lists with a ranking slant that correlates to 'better'...just isn't objective to enjoyment of art.

loads of threads touch onto this analysis and are worth the search practice.

Last edited:
I certainly know that Jon Fishman can play anything Ringo or Karen Carpenter can but I highly doubt they can do the things Fishman can.
I remember reading, years ago, the astute observation that absolutely any trumpet player who graduates from Berklee could play any of Miles Davis's solos from Kind of Blue perfectly—hell, even at the time, pretty much any of the top players of the day (Kenny Dorham, Clark Terry, Blue Mitchell, Lee Morgan, Art Farmer, Donald Byrd, probably Freddie Hubbard, and he hadn't even made a record yet) could have as well—but not one of them could have written those solos.

I remember reading, years ago, the astute observation that absolutely any trumpet player who graduates from Berklee could play any of Miles Davis's solos from Kind of Blue perfectly—hell, even at the time, pretty much any of the top players of the day (Kenny Dorham, Clark Terry, Blue Mitchell, Lee Morgan, Art Farmer, Donald Byrd, probably Freddie Hubbard, and he hadn't even made a record yet) could have as well—but not one of them could have written those solos.
Right! It’s one thing to say anyone could play it, but can they come up with it seemingly out of nowhere? And that’s what separates Ringo from the others. Nobody played like Ringo before he came along, and he single handedly brought a brand new vocabulary to rock drumming.

I don't know much about Ringo's playing. But he's my favorite Beatle based on personality and what behavior I've witneased from all of them.

This 500 list, I'll have to seek it out for more enlightenment.

Thank you! This is the answer I was looking for. SOVB, above, seems to have hit the nail on the head. I'm an old head but I certainly know that Jon Fishman can play anything Ringo or Karen Carpenter can but I highly doubt they can do the things Fishman can. The fact that some seriously great drummers (Kris Meyers, Michael Travis, Vinnie Amico, Jim Loughlin, for example) shows that Mr. Bernhard has decided to ignore greatly a segment of todays popular music. I mean ya gotta be real if you're gonna publish this stuff. I love AC/DC, but come on Phil Rudd included but no Butch Trucks, Jai Johnny Johnson!
Hi,
I'm Larry, one of the mods here.

In Bernhard's defense, he is not ignoring anything. This is where his website is right now. Bernhard is a GREAT guy and I take offense to him being talked about in a less than complimentary manner. Since you're brand new here, it's OK you didn't know. However I feel it's my job to set the record straight:

This is the best drum site on earth, period. It's a well accepted fact. I think Bernhard deserves a boatload of appreciation for what he created. I can't sit by and watch anyone taking potshots at him. That is the impression I got.

This site is built upon respect. For ALL. Especially for Bernhard. He's the man. Respect for all is expected if anyone wants to hang here. I'm guessing you haven't read the rules. A lot of people don't. I didn't lol. If that's the case, Bernhard decreed that his site should be treated like a dinner party. So from my POV, it was like Bernhard is at the table and you dissed him by saying he omitted something. Not something you say at a dinner party to your host who is buying the food and preparing it..Sorry to come down hard, but it is warranted. And no hard feelings either. I just had to set this straight.

So everything is OK, Welcome to the site, and I hope you get a lot out of it. I just had to say something to keep this discussion real. Bernhard is a great guy. If there is something that bothers you, by all means, let it be known to the mods in private. You guys come up with some pretty good ideas, and they are listened to.

Thanks for your support

Larry

Jon Fishman could have only done what Ringo did if he was in the Beatles in the days when Ed Sullivan had them on TV for America to see. But he came to be influenced to play drums by people like Ringo. And his successful band followed in the footsteps of other bands that already set the scene in the genre for him to perform within.

Of course later players can master what earlier players created.

Also, for the record, one of the standing tenets here...Don't. Bash. Ringo.

As per Bernhard's request.

Jon Fishman could have only done what Ringo did if he was in the Beatles in the days when Ed Sullivan had them on TV for America to see. But he came to be influenced to play drums by people like Ringo. And his successful band followed in the footsteps of other bands that already set the scene in the genre for him to perform within.

Of course later players can master what earlier players created.
IF he was there at the time. IF he was influenced by the people who influenced and shaped Ringos playing. IF he was left handed, playing on a right handed kit. (It makes a big difference.) We could go on and on and on, and about someone being able to do what Ringo did. What remains is that Ringo DID it. And many others think they can do it, but it still doesn't sound like Ringo did it.

IF he was there at the time. IF he was influenced by the people who influenced and shaped Ringos playing. IF he was left handed, playing on a right handed kit. (It makes a big difference.) We could go on and on and on, and about someone being able to do what Ringo did. What remains is that Ringo DID it. And many others think they can do it, but it still doesn't sound like Ringo did it.
He said only Ringo could do that, not that Jon Fishman could. Did you miss that? You made a statement in agreement with the person you quoted, but the wording is as if you don't agree with the quote that Jon could ONLY do it if he was Ringo in Ringo's time and place.

Back