New to Drum Triggers: Would this work?

organworthyplayer337

I own an Alesis Nitro Mesh Kit and am planning to use its module for triggering my bass drum. I usually just plug it's module into my computer via USB and use it to control EZ Drummer.

I was thinking that I could take the original cable going to the electric bass drum tower and plug it into a Roland RT-30K.

The cable coming out of the module going to the kick tower looks like 1/4" TS. (Kinda like this)
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 11.57.23 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-24 at 11.57.38 PM.png
This is the part I would like to connect directly to the RT-30K, but the cable isn't long enough. So I am wondering how I can hook it up.

The Roland trigger comes with a TRS cable.
Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 12.01.26 AM.png

Now, I'm not technologically inclined; not sure if coupling a TS with a TRS cable = bad news.

But if I could get a coupler and connect the module's cable to the RT-30K's cable, it should work right?

I don't know if that made any sense lol

If anyone knows the right way to patch this up, I would greatly appreciate your input/assistance.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 11.50.35 PM.png

Last edited:

electrodrummer

It's a mono trigger so you only need a mono (TS) cable.

You could use a stereo (TRS) - should work - won't break anything. Cables are only £$2.50 anyway.

Yamaha kick pads, for example, have an extra trigger input on them for daisy-chaining an extra pad via the kick - that's where a stereo one comes in use. Also some pads have an extra switch in them which can be used by modules to stop false triggering - so the piezo will only fire is the switch is closed - again in the case you use a TRS cable if your module supports that feature (Roland's BT-1 is an example pad).

organworthyplayer337

It's a mono trigger so you only need a mono (TS) cable.

You could use a stereo (TRS) - should work - won't break anything. Cables are only £$2.50 anyway.

Yamaha kick pads, for example, have an extra trigger input on them for daisy-chaining an extra pad via the kick - that's where a stereo one comes in use. Also some pads have an extra switch in them which can be used by modules to stop false triggering - so the piezo will only fire is the switch is closed - again in the case you use a TRS cable if your module supports that feature (Roland's BT-1 is an example pad).
I know the module has extra trigger inputs in the back, but they are dedicated to certain parts of the kit (a 3rd tom and a 2nd crash) and trigger those specifically in EZ drummer and there is no changing assignments. If that weren't that case I would just run a TS cable from the module to the trigger. But the cable from the module to the kick is a multicore cable so I can't access just the input for the kick tower.

So coupling a TS cable and a TRS cable would be fine to try?

Thanks for your input

**edit: sorry I put KT-30K instead of RT-30K. I’m trying to rig up one of these:
B7E3529D-04D1-4410-8592-176C7CF3B151.jpeg

Last edited: