New thread or resurrect the dead?

DrumDoug

Whenever someone starts a new thread about a subject that has been discussed before, some members become irritated and post links to the old discussions. Likewise, some members become irritated when someone replies to a thread that has been "dead" for months or years. Which one of those annoys you the most? I don't mind a new thread. There's always new people on here and it keeps me from having to look through all the past comments when someone replies to a "dead" thread.

I guess it's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. Responding to one that is 9 years old and has no posts in 4 years, seems a little silly. But at the same point starting one of the same theme or idea 3 months or three days after another was started is just as bad. I guess it's my job to weed out the silly or duplicates and sent a PM to the writer of the duplicate. We don't need a library of congress with 412 books on the Civil War or ten threads on "Which is the best Pedal for Jazz. A lot of info can be attained by reading old threads which makes new ones unnecessary but human as we are we want instant answers and don't want to take the time to read back.

Some of us can't look through old threads. I have a Note 5 and everytime I try to use the search option the window disappears as soon as I bring up my keyboard to type my search. I don't know if it's an Android thing or what.

I don't mind a new thread at all, as long as its not the same person creating 4 threads in a row for what snare, cymbal, pedal etc. he/she should get.
I do get a little annoyed when somebody replies 4 years later to a thread's question, mostly because it is absurd the OP is still looking for an answer. That I find rather stupid.

New thread definitely! That's what the internet is for ;)

Couldnt care less. We cant all be up to speed on everything web drum related. If you don't want to read, or re-read a thread, then don't.

New thread, definitely.

Most of the time I don't care if someone resurrects a zombie thread, but what drives me crazy is when someone gives a new suggestion on a "What drum set should I get?" thread from 2005.

I agree 100%. What really irks me is when somebody totally ignores the OP and then hijacks a thread. That reminds me, where can you find a crash cymbal that sounds just like that one on that Steve Miller song?

Old thread/new thread? It's all good - I'll read 'em or skip 'em - depends on my patience level, I guess.

Responding to one that is 9 years old and has no posts in 4 years, seems a little silly. But at the same point starting one of the same theme or idea 3 months or three days after another was started is just as bad.

We don't need a library of congress with 412 books on the Civil War or ten threads on "Which is the best Pedal for Jazz.

But what is the best pedal for jazz?!! haha

If a thread has been vacant for a few years, then I think it's ok to open a new one, especially if your issue hasn't been addressed. Things/perspectives change over the years, so there might even be different answers. Obviously there are silly threads that don't need rehashing: "Was Buddy better than Krupa" and posts of that ilk, should just live in the dusty DrummerWorld archives. Also, creating a new thread for something that was discussed last month is pretty silly.

Both. Either. Neither. There's certain things that I just don't care about and this is one of them. Whatever you feel like doing, old thread, new thread, they're all just words.

Isn't there already a thread about this :)

New thread, definitely.

Most of the time I don't care if someone resurrects a zombie thread, but what drives me crazy is when someone gives a new suggestion on a "What drum set should I get?" thread from 2005.

This mostly sums up my feelings, too. However, sometimes ressurrecting an older equipment thread -- provided it is based on one's direct, personal experience (i.e.. You've owned one) -- can add to the overall knowledge base. Heck, that's how I found this site; I was googling about a piece of gear I was contemplating. One of the "hits" was a four year-old DW forum thread which proved helpful...and, I'm still here...

......some members become irritated and post links to the old discussions........Likewise, some members become irritated when someone replies to a thread that has been "dead" for months or years......

Use common sense. You'll find that members really only tend to get irritated by people who don't.

If you can offer a new perspective, or have a fresh question on that 5 year old thread, by all means drag it up again. If you're replying that the guy should indeed buy the kit he was asking about back in '07, then best leave it alone.

Similarly, if you have a specific question or thought on your pedals, sticks, metronome, grip, double pedal practice routine et al, raise a new thread and delight at the amount of guys willing to help. But if you have to jump over the 6th thread in as many days on the same topic just to start another one, you might wanna revise your approach.

I don't like when someone starts a new thread and blatantly ignores the search function or a simple Google search.

For example: Is the Stage Custom a good kit?

There is no need to start a new thread about the sound or quality of the Yamaha Stage Customs. That topic has been beaten to death not only here, but every other drum forum on the internet.

As for replying to an old thread, if the topic is still relevant, then have at it. If it is not relevant then don't resurrect it. Start a new thread if you have a new question on an old topic.

..... er what sticks should I buy, my hands are growing and the 5A's aren't making it happen anymore and I want a custom signature set that costs 15 bucks a pair but should I use stick wax instead, 'cuz I got a blister on my finger just like Ringo... oh my, these 5B's are too heavy and maybe a X-15 from Egabbrige would be a better choice... oh gotta go now, my grilled cheese on is burning. Bye!

Does anyone else have trouble with the search option, or is it just me?

I think what can be cool about a old thread being dug up is when somebody has a dilemma with technique or a band situation and you find out over the years what happened in the end. It also gives people who weren't around back then a chance to chip in on a topic that interests them and perhaps give it a fresh angle.

Back