New Tama Star finish.

fl.tom

I think it's basically a 2 ply cosmetic finish over maple, and I love what I've seen of it, as done by Tama.
So what snare will you use? The matching Maple or that awesome Star Reserve Copper? I think the copper would look great with that kit. ;)
These are actually Walnut and the tonal differences between all three Star wood series are noticeable. The copper snare would be an interesting sonic combination as well as aesthetic.

D

drumming sort of person

Dark green cordia.
You like this new finish better than the green cordia? I thought the cordia finishes were beautiful. I'm not crazy about any sort of fade or burst, unless it's a guitar.

mike d

Silver Member
These are actually Walnut and the tonal differences between all three Star wood series are noticeable. The copper snare would be an interesting sonic combination as well as aesthetic.
You're right... my bad... Walnut. IMHO the snare can stand apart cosmetically (especially if it's metal) as long as it fits the kit sound wise. I think the Tama Hand hammered copper snare would probably sound great with pretty much any kit? Maybe not metal, but it sounds pretty versatile (from the sound clips I've heard).

fl.tom

IMHO the snare can stand apart cosmetically (especially if it's metal) as long as it fits the kit sound wise.
Agreed. I've heard each individually, just not together. Would be interesting to hear if the harmonics of the copper are complimentary to the more barky tone of the walnut.