New Supraphonic B Stock?

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
They're selling for $379-$399 all over the place. I don't have a Supra. I have some cash. Are these great bargains? I see older used Supras from 70's and 60's for around $500 in decent shape. A new Supra for $379 sounds like a bargain.

What do you think?

I’ve been considering one of these too. Theyre not quite as good a deal up here in Canada but it still a bunch less $$ than a normal new Supra. One store has a Acro Brass 6.5x14 B-stock that I really want. Only thing that seems to be wrong with it is a small cosmetic imperfection that you have to really look for.

The B stock seem to have the blue/ olive badges while I see the normal A stock models with keystone badges? Am I seeing that right?

And the new ones don't have mufflers like the vintage models. I do like mufflers I wish all snares still had them.

I almost bought a b-stock BB but I stumbled onto to another deal. The "cosmetic imperfections" are incredibly minor from what I hear.
In some cases undetectable.

Yeah just deciding do I pay $500 for a nice 1960's era original, or a lot less $$$ for a new one. Only difference seems to be the new one's don't have internal mufflers.

And what is it about the new one's some with keystone badge some with blue/olive badge?

If nice is what you're after, get the b-stock. Seems like the best deal going, and I've been looking. But I've seen pretty nice ones going under that price range. It's a buyer's market, and some folks price them to move quickly.

The B stock seem to have the blue/ olive badges while I see the normal A stock models with keystone badges? Am I seeing that right?

And the new ones don't have mufflers like the vintage models. I do like mufflers I wish all snares still had them.
Big fan of B&O! 🙋🏻‍♀️
I really like internal mufflers on my snare drums, too. On drums without mufflers, I use a pack of paper towel (I've always got one with me in case of hay fever) that goes on/off easily, and sounds similar to a muffler.
I'm not good at adjusting mufflers on toms, though. I control their sustains by tuning the heads apart (or removing the bottom one), and occasionally overtones with Moongels.

I will never buy a B stock Ludwig snare. Why? Because it would bug me knowing that I didn't spend the extra to buy the A stock. Even if I couldn't tell a difference between them except for the badge, it would bug me. I really wish it wouldn't, but I know it would.

Nothing wrong with buying a B stock snare , as others have posted the cosmetic issues are negligible . Chances are if you are gigging the drum it will eventually get dinged up or dirty so just save some dough get the B-stock and play the heck out of it .

They're selling for $379-$399 all over the place. I don't have a Supra. I have some cash. Are these great bargains? I see older used Supras from 70's and 60's for around $500 in decent shape. A new Supra for $379 sounds like a bargain.

What do you think?
Buy one !! I am falling in love all over again with my 1971 supra 5 1/2 x 14 , there isn't nothing this snare can't do !!!

Buy an A stock drum, and if it gets scratched, it's automatically a B stock.

B stocks I thought have cut badges. Great deal

I will never buy a B stock Ludwig snare. Why? Because it would bug me knowing that I didn't spend the extra to buy the A stock. Even if I couldn't tell a difference between them except for the badge, it would bug me. I really wish it wouldn't, but I know it would.
Ditto. I've thought about it dozens of times but didn't go through with it. I find new Ludwig snares to be a bit overpriced however, so I understand the temptation to go with a B stock model.

I'd buy a B stock drum without thinking twice, but I'd buy a (cared for) used drum too. In the case of a Supraphonic specifically it really comes down to how good of a deal I could find. They're a proven commodity, and brand-new perfection isn't really necessary. The fact I've yet to see a B-stock Ludwig that has more than the every so slight blemish is another factor.

If you play your new snare drums, it'll get a scratch at some time or another. One scratch that equals a big discount? No problem. I'd buy it.

Sometimes you can get lucky .. I was in a pawn shop looking for a toolbox and found a 5" supra supra for 50 bucks.. Chrome spitted and chipping off here and there the sticker on the inside is still there barely legible. It's a blue and Olive pointed badge I think it's from the seventies. Problem is those deals don't come up very often you have to be in the right place at the right time . I'm with most of the others on here be stock it's probably an excellent drum.

An alternate solution is to find a used A stock in good condition selling for the price of a new B stock.

I think it's best to work within your budget, close your eyes and let your ears have the final say.

Last edited:
I recently sold my black Acro, so I decided to buy a B stock Supra. It's a great drum. Got it for just over $300. It was listed as mint, but arrived in an unopened Ludwig box.
It's awesome compared to the Acro. This one sings nicely. I could care less about an "A" version.

Back