New stuff!

Thanks!! Have you played that Sonor masterpiece yet?
Indeed I have, Steady, and what a dream it is.

What about yourself? I'm gathering a rich, deep, full tone?

Last edited:
I tapped on it a little before work today, but due to the early hour didn't want to make too much noise. It has pronounced mids and lows which is what I'm looking for in that one. Gonna play it tomorrow and try some different tunings.

I've had a few days to play the walnut solid and it sounds great. Its brighter than I expected as are most steam bent shells. It's really loud too. LOL but in a good way. I've been slowly bring up the tension on the snare side head and it's coming to life. I'll record it later today and see how that is working out. What your ears hear and what the mics hear are usually two different things. I don't crank snare side heads. It kills the tone but I do spend a lot of time on them. So far I'm lovin it. I've worked hard my entire life so I'll treat myself to a few nice things before I fade away.

Been looking for a real trashy cymbal. The chinas I listened too were a little too gong sounding and I have a Paiste Sig china that I seldom use. This is a Paiste PSTX 14 inch stack. Sounds just right, Inexpensive too.

Attachments

• swiss.jpg
    swiss.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 4
The last of the new gear arrived. Newman KM184 mic's for overheads. Traded in a Shure Beta 52. AKG D112 and a pair of AKG C1000s mics and got a pretty good deal.
I have a pair of those. Love em. I can't tell the difference between them and the U-87. The Neumanns have an unfair advantage over the other mics I have.

I have a pair of those. Love em. I can't tell the difference between them and the U-87. The Neumanns have an unfair advantage over the other mics I have.
Yeah really great mics. Really clean and very sensitive, When I opened the wooden box I was kinda surprised by how small they were. I'm thinking I payed this much $$ for those little things!! Then I plugged them in. Wow!! I run them in a wide stereo configuration. Still messing with em. Never ending.

I've had a few days to play the walnut solid and it sounds great. Its brighter than I expected as are most steam bent shells. It's really loud too. LOL but in a good way. I've been slowly bring up the tension on the snare side head and it's coming to life. I'll record it later today and see how that is working out. What your ears hear and what the mics hear are usually two different things. I don't crank snare side heads. It kills the tone but I do spend a lot of time on them. So far I'm lovin it. I've worked hard my entire life so I'll treat myself to a few nice things before I fade away.
I share the same sentiment.

Thumbs up to you, Steady! (y)

Not really new stuff. but these have been in hard cases for 6 of 7 years, Time to beat the dust off!!

Attachments

• dw exoctics.jpg
    dw exoctics.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 23
Not really new stuff. but these have been in hard cases for 6 of 7 years, Time to beat the dust off!!
Astonishing finish! Thing of beauty! Good to know you're allowing them to breathe again.

It started as a bunch of wood on a pallet in Oxnard Ca. And now it's gorgeous!!! I ordered this in July during Guitar Centers DW summer days. Got a 20% discount. $191.00 off regular price. Incredible drum and killer price. Gonna sweat on it tomorrow. Yay!

Attachments

• almond.jpg
    almond.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Almond joy.jpg
    Almond joy.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
This drum came with nickle hardware, I put a chrome true hoop on the batter side for better durability and tuned it up. It's a bit drier than some of my other snares, which is a good thing. A little different voice to choose from. Gonna play it today and let the heads settle in. This one seems to like high tuning so I'll be going for gun shot rim shots on this one. The pictures don't do it justice.

I've been wanting to try wood hoops for a while now. Ordered a set of PDPs and the snare side hoop was cracked. Returned those and then ordered these from Stellar. These are nice. Gonna put them on a 6.5 X 14 Crav.

Attachments

• wood hoops.jpg
    wood hoops.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 3
Hoops installed on my 1998 Craviotto. I applied a few coats of Min Wax to give them a little sheen.

Attachments

• crav with wood hoops.jpg
    crav with wood hoops.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 4
Back