New starclassic kit issue.. [Solved]

I’m with Bo on this . As much as you don’t want to wait for a new drum or kit , I’d return it for full refund from retailer and re order or look elsewhere. Do you mind sharing where/ who you ordered through ? I mean I’m not wild about Tama’s or your retailer’s response.

Reactions: TJK
I'm with you on the return........ but concerning the floor..... WHy is'nt it playable ?? ..... It probably sounds great as it is.. although I would be waiting on the return obviously.
I’m making the assumption that it’s not going to tune up properly due to the shell damage. It might sound good...OP would have to try it out.

A while back...There was a Dude with a brand new Collectors DW with issues just like this ....... So it happens with all these mfg's from time to time.........

"Dear Jacob,

My name is Jay Perkins, I am the Customer Service Supervisor for TAMA in the USA, and I would like to start out by saying thank you for choosing and supporting TAMA Drums. We do appreciate and value your business, and we are just as disappointed as you are when we encounter a customer who is not 100% happy with their purchase. AJ has been working with our merchandising and management teams, reviewing the photos you sent, trying to see if there was anything we could do for you for the two drums that you are not completely satisfied with, and felt that it would be best to escalate your inquiry/claim to me.
After reviewing the photos, it is evident that the floor tom has sustained some sort of impact to the shell, most likely during shipping, which has resulted in the separation of plies, and the inward bulge/bump that you see. Unfortunately, we see this more often than we’d like, and it’s always a result of careless handling during delivery, and is not always apparent from the outside carton. Since this is accidental damage, it is not something that we will be able to replace under warranty. The unfortunate reality of a situation like this is the obstacle of determining when and where the damage occurred, and that will be handled between your dealer, Hoshino USA, and the shipping companies we utilize.

As for the bass drum seam; while we do understand completely where you are coming from regarding the appearance of the drum, we have come to the conclusion that there is no defect with the shell, and the placement of the seam is just happenstance. Some seams pair up exceptionally well, and others have much more contrast. Our manufacturing facility tries to use outer plies that will appear “seamless” or have a smooth transition, but often times, the raw material may look good when that ply is being put into place, and only after curing and applying the finish, does the sharp contrast become apparent. Again, since there is no “defect” and it is simply a cosmetic anomaly that some customers either don’t care about, or choose to accept, it is put into saleable stock and sent out to TAMA distributors around the world.

As a consumer myself, I completely sympathize with you on all fronts here, however being tasked with making business decisions in situations like this, and factoring in many other variables that come into play, I’m afraid that our best suggestion for you is to return the kit to Pro Audio Star for a refund. We will work with PAS to ensure that they honor this return so that there is no contest to your return request. Unfortunately, we just don’t see a better solution to this predicament, and feel that you will be best served by returning the kit that you are not completely satisfied with.

Please feel free to reach out to me or AJ with any questions or concerns you may still have and we would be more than happy to assist. I am very sorry that this is unable to work out the way we all would like, but the last few months have really changed the way we approach things, and I truly feel this will yield the most amicable resolution.

Thank you again for trying to support TAMA.
Sincerely,
Jay Perkins
Customer Service Supervisor
TAMA Drums
Hoshino USA Inc."

I'm sorry TAMA but this needs to be public. This is quite unaccpetable. I understand the reasoning, but most drummers will take my side on this.

"Dear Jacob,

My name is Jay Perkins, I am the Customer Service Supervisor for TAMA in the USA, and I would like to start out by saying thank you for choosing and supporting TAMA Drums. We do appreciate and value your business, and we are just as disappointed as you are when we encounter a customer who is not 100% happy with their purchase. AJ has been working with our merchandising and management teams, reviewing the photos you sent, trying to see if there was anything we could do for you for the two drums that you are not completely satisfied with, and felt that it would be best to escalate your inquiry/claim to me.
After reviewing the photos, it is evident that the floor tom has sustained some sort of impact to the shell, most likely during shipping, which has resulted in the separation of plies, and the inward bulge/bump that you see. Unfortunately, we see this more often than we’d like, and it’s always a result of careless handling during delivery, and is not always apparent from the outside carton. Since this is accidental damage, it is not something that we will be able to replace under warranty. The unfortunate reality of a situation like this is the obstacle of determining when and where the damage occurred, and that will be handled between your dealer, Hoshino USA, and the shipping companies we utilize.

As for the bass drum seam; while we do understand completely where you are coming from regarding the appearance of the drum, we have come to the conclusion that there is no defect with the shell, and the placement of the seam is just happenstance. Some seams pair up exceptionally well, and others have much more contrast. Our manufacturing facility tries to use outer plies that will appear “seamless” or have a smooth transition, but often times, the raw material may look good when that ply is being put into place, and only after curing and applying the finish, does the sharp contrast become apparent. Again, since there is no “defect” and it is simply a cosmetic anomaly that some customers either don’t care about, or choose to accept, it is put into saleable stock and sent out to TAMA distributors around the world.

As a consumer myself, I completely sympathize with you on all fronts here, however being tasked with making business decisions in situations like this, and factoring in many other variables that come into play, I’m afraid that our best suggestion for you is to return the kit to Pro Audio Star for a refund. We will work with PAS to ensure that they honor this return so that there is no contest to your return request. Unfortunately, we just don’t see a better solution to this predicament, and feel that you will be best served by returning the kit that you are not completely satisfied with.

Please feel free to reach out to me or AJ with any questions or concerns you may still have and we would be more than happy to assist. I am very sorry that this is unable to work out the way we all would like, but the last few months have really changed the way we approach things, and I truly feel this will yield the most amicable resolution.

Thank you again for trying to support TAMA.
Sincerely,
Jay Perkins
Customer Service Supervisor
TAMA Drums
Hoshino USA Inc."

I'm sorry TAMA but this needs to be public. This is quite unaccpetable. I understand the reasoning, but most drummers will take my side on this.
What’s wrong with his response? He’s telling you to return it for a refund. What if he said “there’s nothing wrong, we will not honor anything”? Then I would shame Tama. As far as your situation, get your money back. You get to try again which is good!

There is nothing wrong with Jay's response on behalf of Tama. In fact, I don't understand why you wouldn't have already contacted the shop you purchased the drums from to make your complaints and request a refund. Fortunately for you, with Jay's response, you now have their committment to ensure that the retailer takes the drums back and gives you a refund. What more could you ask for? I don't care what the item is that I purchased, if I am not happy I go straight back to the retailer first. That should always be your first course of action. If you aren't satisfied with how things have turned out up to this point in terms of resolving the issue for you, then what else are you expecting?

I'm a tad disappointed because another TAMA rep said they could replace the floor tom and I could try to get something sorted out with the dealer for the damage.

His response is fine, but I feel a little jerked around. I really need to get this shipped back as I think the FT damage shouldn't be present on a kit like this.

just need PAS to respond to me.

I'm a tad disappointed because another TAMA rep said they could replace the floor tom and I could try to get something sorted out with the dealer for the damage.

His response is fine, but I feel a little jerked around. I really need to get this shipped back as I think the FT damage shouldn't be present on a kit like this.
Did you actually ASK for a replacement floor tom? I suspect that both the dealer and the manufacturer would be happy to try that first.

Did you actually ASK for a replacement floor tom? I suspect that both the dealer and the manufacturer would be happy to try that first.

They said they could replace the FT, but it would take "X" months. The supervisor replied and says we cant do that now.

I was working on getting a partial refund for the kits FT damage and I would accept the replacement from TAMA down the line, but now I pretty much need to return it.

They said they could replace the FT, but it would take "X" months. The supervisor replied and says we cant do that now.

I was working on getting a partial refund for the kits FT damage and I would accept the replacement from TAMA down the line, but now I pretty much need to return it.

Clearly you have more than one issue with the kit. The bulge on the bass drum and the poor veneer on the floor tom. Sometimes it's just better to return the entire product and start over. You need to realize that even if you doing business with the retailer, they are working with the manufacturer and shipper on their end so they aren't left holding the bag on damaged goods. Return the entire kit and either re-order one through them again or find another retailer. I'd stick with PAS since they will have incentive to make you happy.

Well, at least you got a reply. I emailed their customer service two weeks ago about a throne that has rivets coming loose, and never heard back.

Well, at least you got a reply. I emailed their customer service two weeks ago about a throne that has rivets coming loose, and never heard back.

Well, what do you expect? You're "notvinnie". If you were "vinnie" they'd be doing back flips to make you happy. :LOL:

Clearly you have more than one issue with the kit. The bulge on the bass drum and the poor veneer on the floor tom. Sometimes it's just better to return the entire product and start over. You need to realize that even if you doing business with the retailer, they are working with the manufacturer and shipper on their end so they aren't left holding the bag on damaged goods. Return the entire kit and either re-order one through them again or find another retailer. I'd stick with PAS since they will have incentive to make you happy.

The Bass drum is fine outside of the really weird seam you wouldn't expect on an "Exotic" finish (at least on the top of the drum). Which made me question quality control obviously and while his explanation is 100% reasonable, it just seems very off for TAMA imo.

Back