New Sonor SQ2 kit

incrementalg

Gold Member
I have feeling these artist configurations are more of a promo showing what you can do with sq2 config. I guess we never know what wich artist is playing when and what do they like. Maybe Danny is even beating thick shell floor toms 🤔
Doesn’t he use triggers anyway? I thought I read that.

spelman

jazkamu

I thought i was set with sizes.
22x16, 20x14, 7x10, 8x12, 14x13, 16x15.

Now ive been grown on interested with 15x13 floor tom instead of 14x13.

I dont really like looks of 8x12 so much, so i would rather have 10x8 and 12x9 instead. Like i have in my current kit. Toms mounted on a stand left to BD.

So current interest is 10x8, 12x9, 15x13, 16x15 toms.

But..

With those bit bigger floor toms i have grown interest having possibility for 22x16, 13x9, 15x13, 16x15 rock setting.

That means adding 13x9 to order. It would also make toms to be 10x8, 12x8, 13x9, 15x13, 16x15. Becouse then all rack toms same time would place 12x8 straight on top of BD and 9"depth can be bit too high for me.

I currently have 10x8 and 12x9 so that 10" is more closer to BD and 12" on a left in a stand. More comfortable that way.

I am also interested in having 8x8 aswell if i go totally mad.

One option would be having 8x8, 10x8, 12x9 and dirthing that 13" idea.

Still heavy or medium beech. I would really like to hear good example how those heavy beech floor toms sound.

Any thoughts?

jazkamu

To stir a pot a bit:

Had conversation with 1 big european music store about me on plans going on heavy beech shells.

"thanks for your reply.

As you know the thickness of the shells really changes the sound a heavy shell have got a really precise sound thinner shells cause a big volume.

I personally recommend a medium beech or vintage maple shell-

Maybe for special parts like your giant Snare drum I would make an exception and build a heavy beech shell or still maple vintage.

Heavy and precise versus warm and voluminous!"

RobertM

Platinum Member
Then there's this video by Shane at DCP that suggests just about the opposite of what Artstar suggests. LOL. Bottom line is you're going to have to figure out for yourself what works for you. ;) 🤷‍♂️

Shane has said that SQ2 birch drums are the best for most rooms because the sound doesn’t get as warped by room dynamics as the maple shells do. Just FWIW.

notvinnie

could i need two different size kicks for different applications. Smaller for all around gigging and bigger drum for bigger sound/feel. Example 20x14 and 22x17.
I think the 20x14 will be fine 90% of the time. If you were thinking of getting two bass drums for different settings, I would say get 18x14 and 22x14, or 20x14 and 24x16.

jazkamu

I think the 20x14 will be fine 90% of the time. If you were thinking of getting two bass drums for different settings, I would say get 18x14 and 22x14, or 20x14 and 24x16.
Thanks for tip. I thought about it before.
I think 24" might be bit too high for me considering tom or ride positioning. Probably with 20" i will do most gigs and 22" can sit in a rehersal place. Then for rock setting with 13, 15, 16 toms 22x16 or deeper could be big enough. Also i dont really like looks of 22x14.

RobertM

Platinum Member
I would not recommend getting Heavy shells unless you only plan to play hard rock. You have to hit heavy shells harder to get them to sing. Granted their Heavy Beech toms do sound amazing, but only when played loudly. They lack tone when played softer. So, if you plan to play soft or moderate volumes, you'll want Medium, Thin or Vintage.

Also, if you want a satisfying boom from your bass drum, get a Medium shell for the kick. Heavy kicks sound too high pitched and lack oomph.

To me, Sonor's Maple shells sound the best. There's something special about their Maple shells, they sound articulate like Birch, except they also have the warmth and richness of Maple. I particularly like their Medium and Vintage shells, although I'm sure Thin would sound good too.

Here's a demo of a Maple with Medium shells.

Maple Vintage shells.
Maple medium toms sound very nice.

RobertM

Platinum Member
Simon Phillips is 5' 3" tall.
Wow! If that is true, then Simon's playing is all the more amazing because he uses two 24" bass drums and fuller-sized toms (e.g., I think his are 8x10, 9x12, 10x13, etc.) and positions his toms relatively flat, not angled/slanted.